Private number plate extend entitlement surprise!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The _Don

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mb
Went to extend my entitlement for a number plate I own this morning expecting to pay £25 per year, total cost to extend for ten years £0.00.

I saw something about this the other day when I was transferring my plate. I think given that you pay to put it on Retention and you pay to transfer it to a car, charging for merely holding it was a bit of a nerve. Glad you've had a result :)

I keep having this problem, it used to really get my goat as I have 2 but the only reason they charge is if they didn't, it would take 5 minutes for greedy so and so's to buy them all up and the price would be 10 times as high. They should have a clause that you don't pay but you also cannot sell the plates or something similar.
That's pretty good that you've got 10 years retention for free, I just payed £105 I think for 2 years.

I just payed £105 I think for 2 years.

I think that sounds wrong. Its only £25 (or used to be before this thread) per year to retain it, and £80 for transferring it from vehicle to vehicle.
If you remove it from a vehicle and put it on retention, they charge you the £80 transfer fee (for when you eventually decide to assign it to a vehicle) and 1 years retention fee at £25, hence £105.

Hope that makes sense. :thumb:

I set up an account and tried to renew two of mine at the beginning of the month, and it wouldn't let. I forgot about it until last night, and hurriedly sent a cheque off for £50 in my rush for the train this morning!

After help here earlier with a dodgy laptop, I guess I should always read this forum before getting on with my day!

Lucky as it should have been £80. I renewed mine last month (online) but only saw the options for 1,2 or 3 years @£25 per year? I feel ripped off now!

However, still cheaper than when I bought a plate from Regtransfers some years back, only they could retain it for me and it cost £75 per year as they charged £50 admin! Never again.

States on their website it should be £80 for ten years :confused:
£80 is the transfer fee that has been in place for a while, there used to be a further £25 per year(I think) to put the registration on retention

Im in the process of putting a cherished plate on one of my cars...

I sent off the Certificate of Entitlement along with the Log book...

Was i also supposed to send off my MOT?..... I know you dont have to send your road tax disc anymore as they have been abolished and thus they must do a database check for that....

can it be the same for the MOT?.... Been trying to call them but they are constantly busy.

£80 is the transfer fee that has been in place for a while, there used to be a further £25 per year(I think) to put the registration on retention

Spot on, if you've already paid it when you took the plate off the car/bought it from DVLA etc and this is your first renewal since they brought the new rules in the charge will be £80-£80=0

Abb said:
I think that sounds wrong. Its only £25 (or used to be before this thread) per year to retain it, and £80 for transferring it from vehicle to vehicle. If you remove it from a vehicle and put it on retention, they charge you the £80 transfer fee (for when you eventually decide to assign it to a vehicle) and 1 years retention fee at £25, hence £105. Hope that makes sense. :thumb:
Maybe it was a year, I took it off my old car and put it on retention as I didn't have the new car yet then put it on straight away, I can't even remember what I did to the other one. I know that this one was 105 bucks to sit on retention for a couple of weeks

I put a plate on retention in January and it cost £155 for three years. Grrr

UPDATE: With regards to my situation, due to recent changes, there is no need to send the MOT along with the Certificate of Entitlement and V5C (logbook) anymore...

Seems they do the MOT check online, along with the road tax check now...

You retain the MOT with the old reg number on it and apparently the post office will check the chassis number against the new logbook chassis number to do this...

Then when its MOT time, you will finally have a new MOT with the new Reg number on it...

How are you guys getting on with this?

I have a V778 for retaining a plate which is up for renewal.
Certificate says £75 for another 3 years.
Reminder letter says just complete it and I will get 10 years (no mention of money) but to explain myself if not using the V778.

DVLA website has now been absorbed into gov.uk which is bobbins and does not mention cost at all.

The online website is garbage and only let's you register a plate to your account if you have the V750 and not a V788 - it just chucks up an error with the document ref.

S

Put my plate on retention £80 for ten years did it online and paper work come a 4 days very quick and far better service

I have just extended a number plate for 10 years, FOC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom