Private number plate transfer check.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

toffee-pie

Car
Legacy 3.0R Spec.B 6MT
Guys,

My number plate is MR05 xxx, can I move this to the CL55 which is a 52 plate? (has had a few private plates itself but the main one is 52)

If I cant move it looks like I need to forsake it.

cheers.

Oh well.... was quite attached to it.

Just pay 80 quid to put it on a retention cert.
Google " V317" then use it next time you have a car newer than March 2005

I dont have a proof of ownership for this private number, can i get one? This plate was on my Lexus when I bought it, she seller left the MR05 xxx alone.

Nobody "owns" any number plate.

You "buy" the right to use it. DLVA could at anytime suspend the "cherished" plate market and retain them all. EVen the EU has asked them to do this. BUT why whoudl they when they make millions a year from transfers and sales.

If it is the car and you have the V5C in your name with the number on it .... it is yours!....

Point being if you ever sell a car with a plate on and then expect someone to send it back in good will.... they aren't under any obligation to do so.

where is the plate if on a car is it still yours v5c as was mentioned before, if not u can approach them for it although they may refuse to hand offer the plate remember, it will be complicated if v5c is not in your name, as it will mean the retention in their name and your name as nominee they can get replacement certificate and resell again.

best if u have the car to pay £80 and put on retention which is valid for 10 years now, and can be put on another car post 2005 at anytime or sell on.

good luck

V5C is on my name, I might well just keep it, I don't get all this we buy number plate stuff, apparently plates like mine for for ca. £500 which is a nice enough sum.

I will tell the buyer of my Lexus to get insured on its original 08 reg so.

toffee-pie said:
V5C is on my name, I might well just keep it, I don't get all this we buy number plate stuff, apparently plates like mine for for ca. £500 which is a nice enough sum. I will tell the buyer of my Lexus to get insured on its original 08 reg so.

When are you selling the car?

You need to make sure you retain the rights to the registration number before you sell the car / handover the V5C. If you don't do that the rights to the number are lost.

It's a easy process, follow the instructions here, I believe it can be done online now too:

https://www.gov.uk/keep-registration-number

as mentioned before no guarantee the no plate issued from dvla might change, call boldreg.co.uk they will do it for £100 fixed fee and do online and u will get certificates by post.

they maybe able to give the new reg but still u need v5c to get one made.

best do the transfers otherwise if u handover logbook u lose it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom