Private plate transfer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adam1

Car
E220CDI avantgarde-tansanite blue with sand-cream leather .Honda Civic, Honda Stream SESport( 160bhp
I have just lost my private plate in the process of trading my car.
The dealer told me that it would cost 85 plus 20 to have it on retention and it would then take 6 weeks so i had to sell the car with the plate as it was too much hassle for them.
I don't understand how it works but i had a private plate and traded my car in. I put an order for a new one but that will not be here until Mid-Nov. I do have a second car and putting the plate onto that would have been ideal. However he said due to plate change coming up it was wise to sell car with plate now and lose the value of the private plate....basically i did not get anything for the plate.

I'm a bit sad of being mercedesless now and it was hard to leave the forecourt without it...but things move on...I did get kinda attached to it even though my Mbz experience hasn't been what i expected.

I wish you guys well with your cars....and i know when i see someone in a Mbz it will bring back memories of the good times.....

I will pop back to the forum from time to time.....you never know i might be an owner again not after so long.....

It shouldn't take 6 weeks ... mind you, I'm thinking of a transfer to another car - if they can be bothered to go to the DVLA office in person, it can normally be done there and then - I don't see why the same doesn't apply to putting a plate onto retention, and transferring the original one back on.

The rules may have changed though ... since last November !

S.

sym said:
It shouldn't take 6 weeks ... mind you, I'm thinking of a transfer to another car - if they can be bothered to go to the DVLA office in person, it can normally be done there and then - I don't see why the same doesn't apply to putting a plate onto retention, and transferring the original one back on.

The rules may have changed though ... since last November !

S.

My mate sold his car this afternoon and I went to the local DVLA office this morning for him to put the plate on retention.
1 hr in the queue and £25.
New number (appropriate to year) issues there and then, tax changed over and MOT stamped and changed.
6 weeks?????????
I think the dealer wanted your plate for himself :crazy:

Last edited:
I just sold my ML and wanted to keep my personal reg so wifey took the retention form & docs to DVLA today - wife collects the new reg docs & old on retention on Friday ... but they said she could have had it tomorrow. No way would it take 6 weeks. We paid £105 as we have prepaid the transfer fee

tried to change my Personal plate to me other car.

Receiving vehicle had been in insurance claim, had to take it to Local DVLA office ( swansea) to have it inspected, so they could see it actually was a car.

they did not even know where to look for the VIN number under the bonnet, what a laugh... three weeks laters the local traffic police turned up to do the same inspection, showed them the V5 and the car with the new plate on but they still wanted to look.

LOL

all the best

Sounds very much like some sharp practice on the part of the dealer. :mad: A visit to your local DVLA would have cleared this up there and then.

Personally, if the plate has any value, I would go back to the dealer and ask for some money for it, or the chance to go to DVLA :rolleyes:

I was thinking about that Grav but then i went to DVLA site and read this

How to apply to Retain a Registration Number

The retention scheme enables a number to be removed from the vehicle to which it is assigned, and held on a Retention Document for 12 months pending assignment to another vehicle. The retention period can be extended annually provided it is not allowed to lapse. The facility also allows the applicant the option of nominating a person to whose vehicle they may wish to subsequently assign the number.

* What application form do I use?

The V778/1 application form. It has a tear-off sheet containing notes for guidance in question and answer form. You should read these very carefully and retain them for future reference. The completed application and associated documents should be sent to the nearest DVLA Local Office. For the address you can click here or look in leaflet V100 "Registering and Licensing your Vehicle" available from Post Office® branches.
* What do I take or send to the DVLA Local Office?

. The completed V778/1 retention application form (minus the notes for guidance).

2. The V5/V5C Registration Document/Certificate for the donor vehicle

3. A test certificate for the vehicle if it requires one (although the vehicle may not be old enough to need one, it must belong to a class of vehicle that normally requires MOT or HGV testing).

4. The current fee of £105. This represents the £25 retention fee and £80 assignment fee.

5. If you need to license the vehicle at the same time, you will need to complete a V10 Licence Application Form or the V11 Licence Reminder Form and provide the relevant certificate of insurance or valid cover note, and the appropriate rate of vehicle excise duty (VED). N.B. please ensure that you have your vehicle licence details (expiry date and serial number) and VIN/chassis number to hand if you intend visiting the Local Office.

Please note: Do not apply for a refund of VED while your application is being considered. If you do, your application could be cancelled.
# What happens once I have taken or sent my retention application to the DVLA Local Office?

The DVLA Local Office may wish to inspect the vehicle. If everything is in order, the donor vehicle (the vehicle giving up the registration number) will be allocated a replacement age-related registration number and, if appropriate, a replacement tax disc will be issued and the MOT certificate will be amended to show the replacement registration number. You will then be instructed to replace the number plates on the vehicle and return any old tax disc for cancellation.

The papers will be sent to DVLA, Swansea for the records to be updated. Within a few weeks you will receive a V778 Retention Document showing you as the grantee (valid for 12 months) and a V5C Registration Certificate for the vehicle under its replacement registration number. The V778 must be kept very secure because you will need it when you come to assign the number at a later date. The notes on the V778 will tell you how to go about assigning the number to a vehicle. It will also explain how to extend entitlement and add or change nominee details. The current fee for these services is £25.

In summary that means the PAPERS would be sent to DVLA and the dealer would not be able to sell the car quickly before August when Glass giude publishes new prices. The cost of £105 would be paid my me to keep it on retention and assign old plates to car which i'm selling.

He quite clearly said this but I was unsure of process....anyway I can always buy another.....its such a hassle when you come to sell though....wonder if its worth putting it on a new car.....

i put mine in retention for £105 , still not got round to sticking it on yet :eek:

adam1 said:
In summary that means the PAPERS would be sent to DVLA and the dealer would not be able to sell the car quickly before August when Glass giude publishes new prices. The cost of £105 would be paid my me to keep it on retention and assign old plates to car which i'm selling.

He quite clearly said this but I was unsure of process....anyway I can always buy another.....its such a hassle when you come to sell though....wonder if its worth putting it on a new car.....

I suppose the dealer has got a point. You could have applyed to put your plate on retention immediately over the counter at a DVLA local office for £105 but the V5C would have had to be returned to the DVLA for amendments like you mentioned and this would have taken about 3-4 weeks (in my experience) to be returned. I suppose this would have prevented the dealer from making a quick sale. I guess you'll just have to weigh up how much extra you got for the car now (for letting the dealer take it so quickly) compared to how much the plate was worth. I assume your Merc was an 05 reg and the dealer wanted to sell it before the 55 series was released?

Was the plate a proper (dateless) cherished registration or a DVLA Select registration?

Cheers,
Steve

The plate was dateless and the car was 52 reg and nearly 3 years old.

If i waited till sept i would have incurred the warranty(£636) and the loss in value on Aug Glass guide for sept prices. August is a time dealers don't sell cars or give big discounts. Hence the loss of plate...It didn't cost me a lot anyway...just a personal thing really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom