Private plate transfer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Felstmiester

MB Enthusiast
Car
Range rover sport
Probably simple for some, but I'm useless with this kind of thing. I want to transfer a reg from my van to another vehicle. I own both and both in my name. I know I would have to send v5's and stuff off for both cars but wondered what forms you need. Or maybe it would be easier to take it all in person?

Download form v317 from net. Fill in, send both v5's in full with a cheque for £80 and send to swansea address on form. Takes about 7-10 days.

Soon you will be able to do this online but not yet. At the moment you can only place plates on retention online or opposite... place a retained number on a vehicle.

Anyway, very simple. Don't need to send mot,s anymore. Both vehicles must be taxed or sorned.

Sorry you can do it online it seems. Although I'm sure the second part (assignment to new car) requires the serial number on the retention certificate which means waiting for the DVLA to post it out... may be wrong though.

I do this daily for our customers, but have to do it by post, as both cars are not in same name yet..

Last edited:
Sorry you can do it online it seems. Although I'm sure the second part (assignment to new car) requires the serial number on the retention certificate which means waiting for the DVLA to post it out... may be wrong though.

I do this daily for our customers, but have to do it by post, as both cars are not in same name yet..

Hi there,
I've still got my private plate on retention because since buying my new car in June I just haven't had the time to put it on. Can this be done instantly online now or do I need to send forms off and wait? Timing the postal system with my work schedule is a nightmare usually.
TIA

Did a transfer two weeks ago and the V317 was sent on a Wednesday with the V5Cs and a cheque. The new V5Cs arrived back on the following Wednesday.

The V317 is easy to fill in - just sections 2 and 3 for a transfer (make sure you transcribe the vehicle details and VIN across correctly!).

Hi there,
I've still got my private plate on retention because since buying my new car in June I just haven't had the time to put it on. Can this be done instantly online now or do I need to send forms off and wait? Timing the postal system with my work schedule is a nightmare usually.
TIA

Yeah can be done instantly online via the link above..

Yep, took mine off retention last week, very easily done online now, much better than the old way.

Was just about to ask this question! Very helpful :thumb:

The online service says taxed or a SORN has been in place for the last 5 years.

Why 5 years... just how 'sorned' does one need to be?

The online service says taxed or a SORN has been in place for the last 5 years.

Why 5 years... just how 'sorned' does one need to be?

Read it again!

We will not accept an application for a vehicle that has been declared off road (SORN) for more than 5 years.

Otherwise folk would be going back to the year dot!

Read it again!

We will not accept an application for a vehicle that has been declared off road (SORN) for more than 5 years.

Otherwise folk would be going back to the year dot!

Cheers, I see what you mean. :thumb:

Poorly expressed, IMO, to say 'SORN'd for the last five years'.
So much for DVLA's attempt at .GOV 'plain English'.:fail

Might be a daft question, but I'm buying a new (to me) car and looking to swap my reg over. It's currently on my daily car and I was wondering how long do I have to have the new car off the road for this to go through.

I've known people to just use the car whie the transfer in progress, but don't want to risk being captured by ANPR cameras.

You can do it all online now, all you will need is the reference number off each V5..

You say that but I tried to transfer a private plate off a car last week to hold on retention until I pick up my new one in a couple of weeks time to put it on and the request got declined online. Had to phone and they told me that because there has been a "gap" in a the car's tax history at some point during the last 5 years (not by me), that I need to do it all manually and print off a V317.

Last edited:
You say that but I tried to transfer a private plate off a car last week to hold on retention until I pick up my new one in a couple of weeks time to put it on and the request got declined online. Had to phone and they told me that because there has been a "gap" in a the car's tax history at some point during the last 5 years (not by me), that I need to do it all manually and print off a V317.

That'll be inconvenient.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom