private plates transfer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

magentalic

Car
clk 270 cdi
i have just bought a clk with a clk private plate.if i put my own private plate on what will happen when i eventually sell the car will the clk reg go back on or the original plate.in other words will the clk be lost.thanks

If you wish to keep the registration number already on the car then you'll need to put it on rentention, before you transfer your own on to it. If you don't want to keep it, then take the risk. What is the number already on the car?

As BD says. The retention will cost you £105, which is made up of the £80 transfer fee and the £25 is the retention which had to be renewed annually, but now is held on retention for 10 years.
Obviously it can only be assigned to cars on a 54 plate or newer.

I just put my plate on retention online DVLA, very easy and smooth transaction. £80.00. Retention certificate arrived 3 days later. Original plate reassigned to my sold car immediate.

Have they done away with the £25 retention fee??

i will ring them tomorrow and ask if the plate will be returned to the car when i remove mine when i sell the car in the future.if they say no i will put on retention.

No £25 fee, you can retain a reg online now for £80

update just rang dvla and the number will be returned to the car when i remove mine when i sell the car or at least a 90% chance of doing.

I had a similar situation some years ago...DVLA told me the same, 90% chance, when I wanted to return the plate some time later due to sale, DVLA had sold it so no longer available, I was assigned a generic plate, I think they put them on there plate auction site as soon as available, obviously in monetary terms its better for them if you don't put it on retention as they generally make more £££ on the plate sale...

update just rang dvla and the number will be returned to the car when i remove mine when i sell the car or at least a 90% chance of doing.

Last edited:
That's fair enough because the DVLA "own" the registration number, so it's their's to sell. Only way to ensure it's stays assigned to you is to put it on retention.

For £80 its worth putting on retention. It just adds a few days to the process of putting your plate on as you will need to wait for the V5 to come back in original reg number before you can allocate yours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom