Private plates - Yes or No?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldskoolflash

Car
2009 C220 CDI S204
I've always been a no person myself but my new Merc has a really crappy hard to remember registration so I have found myself tempted by a cheap simpler replacement which would also hide the age. I would avoid any names as I've always found myself thinking people with plates like "Tom 9" or "Bi66y S" look slightly silly....

Why bother? It's simply a number plate, you need it once in a blue moon. If you need to find it in a car park just stick something memorable on the parcel shelf.

Paradoxically I always think cheap plates signal that the vehicle is older than you think (otherwise why hide it?)and the owner can't afford a real personalised plate.

I have a private plate which is my initials. Had it for years now. All was fine until my daughter pointed out that the "H" in "B H M" has (through age) started to look like a "U" I rather think that BUM suits me better than BHM.

Quite agree with Charles that ones perceived as 'cheap', for example anything Northern Irish, look like they are only there to hide the age even if they have some deep meaning to the owner. You can get plenty of three letter three number ones for not a lot more, sometimes less, and just go for one that looks nice. If you find one with your initials or whatever all well and good but only people who know you know what your name is so it's irrelevant to the vast majority. Just look for nice combinations, numbers ending in zero for instance tend to look much better than some random combo.

I generally think of them as being a bit chavvy. Just an opinion based on many hours spent at a DVLA Local Office when I worked for a car dealership. The vast majority of the general public changing their private plates were, shall we say, not the sort to impress me. Of course there are exceptions, and I even had a private plate on my Porsche - but that was only because it came with the car.

Surely what YOU think of the car is more important than what anyone else thinks. You'll always know its age no matter what plate is on it. But it's a free world (except for the £80 assignment fee, cost of registration mark and cost of plates!) so you're entitled to have what you want. If you want a private plate then go for it. It's your money.

I had LB52 ERV on my last Saab. Think how much I could have made if I'd ever managed to find a Hungarian named Laszlo Bibor Szerv......

More seriously, an awful lot of 'private' plates seem to be an attempt either to conceal the age of an older car, or more often, to give some sort of (owner-perceived) distinction to what is essentially a chavved-up mundane tin box; you know the sort of thing - the Halfords audio and wheels are worth more than the rest of the car.

If one came with the car, I'd not complain, but I wouldn't pay extra for one - not even with my initials. I wouldn't mind E55 BOF, though...

E55BOF

KIG 9111, means nothing to me but may be able to flog it to a vain porsche owner in a few years for a few quid?

I would say yes
But I lost 3 private plates myself, just couldn't be bothered taking them off once cars were sold :-(

I've got a couple of private plates and in a bid to finance the DVLA, I swap them between my numerous cars two or three times a year.

Some people have a snobbish attitude towards plates but ultimately it's down to the person, I'm sure the snobs will have their own little 'wastes of money' but think that because it's them that does it, it's ok...

R2 ~~~ has been on every one of my Mercedes and R9 ~~~ has been all of my wife's cars. R2 has become my "brand" LOL :)

I've got a couple of private plates and in a bid to finance the DVLA, I swap them between my numerous cars two or three times a year.

Some people have a snobbish attitude towards plates but ultimately it's down to the person, I'm sure the snobs will have their own little 'wastes of money' but think that because it's them that does it, it's ok...

I agree with SPX why look down your nose at someone for having different taste to you. ( I don't have a private plate )

I received a private plate on my 21st birthday. It was something I could keep forever. Saying that. I haven't actually had it on a car for 10 years. It costs me £25 a year to keep it on retention. I have been meaning to stick it on my Merc.

I agree with SPX why look down your nose at someone for having different taste to you. ( I don't have a private plate )

Perhaps because different taste is perceived as lack of taste? Why do you think "My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding" was made? Not so the audience could admire the good taste...

Personally, I'm getting on, and English, and a BOF, and I perceive 'bling' of any sort to be in poor taste. Understatement floats my boat, not in-your-face, but I acccept that is only my view; each to his own.

Oscar Wilde once said that the only difference between the rich and the poor was that the rich had more opportunity to display their lack of taste. If he were still alive, I suspect he would look down his nose at all of us.

I had LB52 ERV on my last Saab. Think how much I could have made if I'd ever managed to find a Hungarian named Laszlo Bibor Szerv......
As one of the Top Tips in Viz magazine said years ago, "Don't waste money on a private plate that looks a bit like your name, just change your name by deed poll to match your plate!, submitted by RNK 345L"

I have two private plates:

L15 XMT (Someone called Liz)
MIL 9888 (Someone called Milan or Millicant or something)

Make me an offer.

Great, if you like them.
Each to his/her own.

I have a private plate which is my initials. Had it for years now. All was fine until my daughter pointed out that the "H" in "B H M" has (through age) started to look like a "U" I rather think that BUM suits me better than BHM.

BHM is the male version of BBW...

I received a private plate on my 21st birthday. It was something I could keep forever. Saying that. I haven't actually had it on a car for 10 years. It costs me £25 a year to keep it on retention. I have been meaning to stick it on my Merc.

Do it! What's holding you back, it's an easy process.

I've got a few plates on retention but I'd much rather have them on a car, my excuse is that I've run out of cars (even within the family!) to put them on...

Have never seen the point myself, but each to their own.

I have no need to remind myself of my name or initials, don't require a personal brand, and everyone can see I drive a Benz. Mrs E fancies one in a couple of years time, but I'd need to buy her a new car to put it on so that'll go by the board.

I too have a private and have done so for the last 6 years - spells my surname more or less - I think as long as its special to you , who cares about whatever anyone else thinks ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom