Private plates - Yes or No?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I never really had an opinion, but I would never pay good money for one. Then my wife bought me one last birthday so I put it on would a have paid money for it NO, if someone offered it to me for free would I have put it NO. because my wife bought it for me and I know whats good for me, I smiled and said it amazing. Now I get laughed at, at work. Oh well. When I have some cash burning a hole in my pocket she's gonna look stupid too ha ha.

MIL 9888 (Someone called Milan or Millicant or something)

Each to his/her own.
I had MIL 8265 on my Saab, I bought it shamelessly, years ago for two reasons

1. it's my initials.
2. It disguised the age of my car, which was at the time an early model of a still-current, unchanged car. Transferred it a couple of times, but I let it go with the Saab, as I preferred a 13 plate on a Mercedes.........

Snob or what...............:D

(In the for sale advert when I sold my last car I described it as an "age disguising" reg plate)

Malcolm

I want one!

To be specific, I want 9098 MX

It was the reg of my first car, an Austin A40 bought for £50, owned for a year of 17,000 miles, and sold for £30.

And it's the only reg I can always remember!

Jon

Why are they referred to as PRIVATE plates ?

Every plate is just as private ( may only be displayed by the person it is assigned to ) or public ( can be seen by everyone ) as any other plate .

It always strikes me as a strange and silly expression . Cherished registration numbers seems to me a better description .

No , I don't have one and wouldn't pay anything for one .

I never liked them. I thought the initials/names were silly and pointless and so I resolved to never get one under any circumstance.

Then my wife got me one as a birthday present, with the initials of my beloved football team / home town on it. Had it ever since (and now its the only thing remaining from the marriage, since she cleared off with A N Other....)

A car has to have a number plate to be used on the road unless your Queenie. As long as it has one, does its make up really matter? If you have money to burn, carry on.

I'm all for cherished plates that mean something to the owner.

I spent years finding 27 EUY which was on an ex ambulance that my dad converted to a caravanette and we went all over the country in.

It's silly word/name spelling I have the problem with, using numbers for letters and vice versa.

Consider this (and yes, it did say "sideways" underneath)

I have P3 and my initials on my SL and my wife has T7 and her initials on her A Class . £245 all inclusive from DVLA years ago and just an inexpensive bit of fun. I never understand why this can cause such strong opinions. We are not chavs and are harming nobody.
Live and let live people ?

I'm pretty much in agreement with Pontoneer, in that I smile when I see cars advertised with a 'unique registration'. Aren't they all?
They're certainly not 'private' by any definition of the word.

The only time I've thought anything good about them is when I drive along Chelsea Embankment. There are two cars parked outside a nice house, registration numbers 2B and NOT 2B.
Yes, they are always parked the right way round.

It's is a Marmite topic isn't it? Those who have them obviously like them and those who do not seem to get quite emotional in their reaction to them.

Mine (like others on here) was a present from my wife. It is my Initials. Originally on my Ferrari (just to really upset people) I have kept it for years. It is now on my our C240 Estate as I can't be bothered to change it across to my C55.

So if you see B8 BHM on the road give a cheery wave. It's probably my wife.

The only time I've thought anything good about them is when I drive along Chelsea Embankment. There are two cars parked outside a nice house, registration numbers 2B and NOT 2B.
Yes, they are always parked the right way round.

I've seen those too on Cheyne Row, one of them is a Bentley if I remember correctly?

Here's mine had it for 12 years now.
Newmercedesc220cdiblueefficiencysportsaloonauto006.jpg

It's is a Marmite topic isn't it? Those who have them obviously like them and those who do not seem to get quite emotional in their reaction to them.

I have no particular feelings about them ; I just wouldn't spend my money on one .

I don't care what anyone else does with theirs ( as long as it does not affect me ) .

I want one!

To be specific, I want 9098 MX

It was the reg of my first car, an Austin A40 bought for £50, owned for a year of 17,000 miles, and sold for £30.

And it's the only reg I can always remember!

Jon
Unfortunately, they do not re-issue retired plates, other than in very exceptional cases of a very valuable number. I tried to get the number of my dad's very first 100E Ford Anglia, but no chance.

In answer to the original question - unless it has some very personal sentimental value like Jon's example or my old man's the answer is no. And if you have to spell words with numbers, crushed up letters or black spots for mounting screws then that's just too chavvy.

Are they private plates because they belong to the individual rather than the vehicle.

The number will always belong to DVLA. They grant a permit to an individual (the grantee) for it to be used on a specific vehicle. The car owner can subsequently apply for permission to move it to another vehicle.

The number will always belong to DVLA. They grant a permit to an individual (the grantee) for it to be used on a specific vehicle. The car owner can subsequently apply for permission to move it to another vehicle.

OK - so are they private because they are granted to an individual rather than granted to a vehicle.

Each to their own, I bought my wife a number it's HEL105E Her name is HELOISE Nearly the same but she and her friends thinks it fab. Anything to keep her indoors happy. I just have V6 to suit car with my initials

OK - so are they private because they are granted to an individual rather than granted to a vehicle.

DVLA call them " personalised ". An individual is given permission by DVLA to display them on a specific vehicle. The vehicle owner can apply for permission to move the number to another vehicle at a later time. If they sell the car the number will go with it to the new owner unless the buyer has agreed with the seller that the number can be retained by the seller and the appropriate DVLA paperwork for that is completed.
Private or cherished are often used to describe these sort of numbers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom