Private plates

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ive got a plate which is a letter 11 and three letters, I have had all of it spaced closer, and when I was pulled for speeding they didnt mention anything about it, only for MOT's i have to stick the normal plates over them.

Flip - would be very interested in seeing the regs in regard to treating the spacing of a "1" differently.....

Brian - given that any Tom, **** and Harry can actually just look at my car in the street, the posting of my plate online really doesn't bother me. Either way, you can't really stop it happening - but you can make it more difficult.

Mr E said:
Flip - would be very interested in seeing the regs in regard to treating the spacing of a "1" differently.....

Me too.

I got my pair of numbers R2 XXX both for £250 from DVLA. Seemed the easiest and cheapest way!

...I'm with Scott_uk on this one. Yes, plates can be cloned, but I'm not convinced it is very likely to happen. If someone points us towards some statistics to put the problem in perspective, then I might change my point of view on this, but until then, I'm not that fussed.
Les

Alfie said:

Me too, have B1 ??? that would be better as B1???. Is this still possible with the new style typeface? I thought they were a lot stricter with thism type of thing.

DITTRICH said:
...I'm with Scott_uk on this one. Yes, plates can be cloned, but I'm not convinced it is very likely to happen. If someone points us towards some statistics to put the problem in perspective, then I might change my point of view on this, but until then, I'm not that fussed.
Les

Thats fine mate, just pointing out the problem. The choice is obviously yours.

I must admit, I think I would be more worried if my car was mentioned in THIS thread!

Poor sods - they don't even get a choice! :eek:

But as Scott et al said, the chances of it happening are very low - you park your car in public and that has your registration number and VIN displayed (for most modern cars!) ;)

Loads of car dealerships (including main dealers) openly advertise cars with number plates clearly on show. Not really a big issue in my book, but I suppose I might be tempted to blank my own plates out for security reasons?!?

Food for thought...

Will

Flip said:
Yes, you're right. Your plate should be "T800 OST", but if it is just mis-spaced (but otherwise legiable) I figure they have better things to be doing.

K1NKY can be spaced with 13mm gaps between each character, K2 NKY has to have 13mm between all except the number and the group of characters (which needs to be 38mm).

These measurements are for the older style of charcters (which would have been current at time of issue).

With the current, narrow characters the distances are 11mm and 33mm respectively.

The fine for an illegiable plate? Depends on local policy. And whether the cop is a keen new recruit.

Could be as little as a warning, a £40 fixed penalty ticket (take it if offered!), £60 and 3 points or a summons to court (max fine £1000 I think). DVLA can (and will) withdraw plates.

:bannana:

You have lost me here. Why the difference in spacing for the K1 plate as opposed to the K2?????

As for the penalty, fixed penalty tickets are £30 not £40, which offence could be used to issue a £60 3 pointer? And you are correct about the £1000 fine a court could issue. Get reported to DVLA twice and they have the power to withdraw the plate without compensation.

Last edited:
Never mind the reg, have you read the text in the ad? Total cheese :p

Stu

Thats Crazy

Plodd said:
You have lost me here. Why the difference in spacing for the K1 plate as opposed to the K2?????

http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_roads/documents/page/dft_roads_506805.pdf

Section 13 (3) b & c refer to the space between the letter I or number 1 in a plate. (Page 10 of the document above).

Table B (3) & (4) show the distance can be the smaller 11mm (new style plate) / 13mm (old style plate) OR UPTO 33mm (new style) / 37mm (old style).

Allows K1NKY and K1 NKY to be legal, but K2NKY would have to be spaced K2 NKY in order to comply.

I knew insomnia would come in useful eventually.... :crazy:

Swiss Toni said:
Section 13 (3) b & c refer to the space between the letter I or number 1 in a plate. (Page 10 of the document above).

Table B (3) & (4) show the distance can be the smaller 11mm (new style plate) / 13mm (old style plate) OR UPTO 33mm (new style) / 37mm (old style).

Allows K1NKY and K1 NKY to be legal, but K2NKY would have to be spaced K2 NKY in order to comply.

So does that mean I could have :

N1EVE

Morning Shude :D

Regards,
John

Swiss Toni said:
http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_roads/documents/page/dft_roads_506805.pdf

I knew insomnia would come in useful eventually.... :crazy:

Great, many thanks for that. Have a bannana :bannana:

neilrr said:
Edit: Buried amongst all the bullsh*t he writes about this monstosity is a small but important fact - it's an insurance write off!
it's not even a legit ebay auction:
Paying through PAYPAL please add FOUR PERCENT to the final Total to cover PAYPAL charges otherwise item will not be sent out!
glojo said:
So does that mean I could have :

N1EVE

Morning Shude :D
Morning John :)

Swiss Toni said:

Sorry Swiss but I have to diagree with this. If you read Part 3 Table B (5) it states,
Horizontal space between groups (that is groups of letters and numbers) is 38mm to 30mm dependant on size of letters used therefore, the spacing you said was OK would be illegal.

So the interpretation would be that K 1 NKY is legal, but K1NKY was not?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom