Private plates

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Swiss Toni said:
So the interpretation would be that K 1 NKY is legal, but K1NKY was not?

I think we are going to get into a lawyers paradise here.

Gone are the days when what I call 'common sense' was applied when enforcing the law, both by the Police and the courts.

Now every single word is checked, double checked, and then torn to pieces by lawyers ;) Please do not take my 'common sense' remark as being insulting. It is certainly not meant that way.

The registration plate is surely a registration 'number' not 'word'. The plate usually has to be altered to get the number to actually look like the word.

COM 1C = COM1C

If I am accusing anyone then I suppose I would look no further than the DVLC.

Why are they not guilty of conspiracy? They advertise number plates that can be 'altered' to form words, but then point out it is illegal to alter or adapt the plate? That is unacceptable. They are an 'Agent Provocateur'? (help needed with spelling Shude??) If they did not sell the plate then no one would be tempted?

Regards,
John

Do you think whoever owns the plate W111 KER has it spaced & dotted appropriatly to read W/l l KER?

glojo said:
If I am accusing anyone then I suppose I would look no further than the DVLC.

Why are they not guilty of conspiracy? They advertise number plates that can be 'altered' to form words, but then point out it is illegal to alter or adapt the plate? That is unacceptable. They are an 'Agent Provocateur'? (help needed with spelling Shude??) If they did not sell the plate then no one would be tempted?

Regards,
John

John,

They cover themselves by telling everyone who buys that it is an offence to alter size/shape/spacing and not to proceed with the purchace if that is their intention.
We could open a whole can of worms here, as with the driver (of a Merc) I stopped once with badly misspaced reg plate who blamed the DVLA for selling it to him. My reply was Mercedes sold him a car that would exceed the speed limit, if he does so is that Mercedes fault???

Plodd said:
John,

They cover themselves by telling everyone who buys that it is an offence to alter size/shape/spacing and not to proceed with the purchace if that is their intention.
We could open a whole can of worms here, as with the driver (of a Merc) I stopped once with badly misspaced reg plate who blamed the DVLA for selling it to him. My reply was Mercedes sold him a car that would exceed the speed limit, if he does so is that Mercedes fault???

Hi Plodd,
Thank you very much for reponding. I understand what you are saying but why do DVLA put a premium on plates that allegedly make up words?

They must surely be aware of this and are taking advantage of the very fact that the buyer is only interested in buying a specific plate for making a word out of it.

Plodd said:
My reply was Mercedes sold him a car that would exceed the speed limit, if he does so is that Mercedes fault???

Mercedes-Benz sells motor vehicles but they do not charge extra if you intend breaking the speed limit. An A160 has one price whether you break the speed limit or not. A number plate consists of a set amount of numbers, but depending on how you can manipulate them is dependant on its price? Why??????

That would perhaps be a reply I might consider in answer to your question.No doubt you would then report me for the offence (and for being a 'smart alec' ;) )

Take care,
John

The next DVLA auction has CLK 1E with a £800 reserve. I'd love it but just can't justify spending that muchon a plate at the moment. Wife would kill me!!!!

anarchy-inc said:
I'd love it but just can't justify spending that muchon a plate at the moment. Wife would kill me!!!!
Yeah, just think what else you could buy with that money that would actually be useful! You could have your car chipped and pay for the increase in insurance for a year or two, now that'd be something worth spending it on, rather than a bunch of letters on a plastic plate that you don't even technically own! ;)

Sorry but I'm really not a fan of personalised plates :)

On a lighter note, this year in Sep:

* CL55 AMG
* SL55 AMG

I guess only dealers will use these but WOO!!!

wallingd said:
On a lighter note, this year in Sep:

* CL55 AMG
* SL55 AMG

I guess only dealers will use these but WOO!!!

Only they're not available from DVLA, in fact no CL**AMG or SL**AMG are. I bet they don't come up in the DVLA auctions.

Probly cuz they're reserved for showroom use etc.

wallingd said:
Probly cuz they're reserved for showroom use etc.

No it's because the DVLA hold back any plates they think may be worth more so they can auction them to the highest bidder

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom