private reg transfers dvla

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

popes11

Car
r class
Wrong section of forum but not sure where to post this one.

Anybody used the DVLA for transferring a private reg from one car to another since they closed the regional offices? Used to be able to do this at the counter now having to send forms away with mot , log book etc. Seems they want up to a month to deal with something that used to take an hour in person.
It's even more of a money making exercise than it already was. Unless you own both cars involved I think you know have to take the plate off the car and put it on hold (fee about 105) until you get buy a new car. Then pay £80 to get it put on the new car. It's been 2 weeks since I sent mine away and they have not dealt with it or even cashed the cheque.

Yep. Stuff was returned in six days and eight days……..tax + V5 in one, retention cert in the other. The retention cert includes the fee to transfer onto another vehicle so no further cost. "The assignment fee has already been paid".

I know someone who called DVLA after four weeks and they said, paperwork wasn't received, then it was but lost and then, found it!

Inevitable with bureaucracy I suppose.

They stopped doing car to car transfers over the counter many years ago.

You send the stuff to Swansea now, will take around 10 days for paperwork to start trickling back.

I stand corrected. Only ever done new purchase reg to car which was done at local office about 16 month ago. Sent mine recorded delivery so at least it should have got there. They should hand over the dvla to amazon. They would have the transfer done in a day for half the price and toss in a magic tree as part of the del.

I did one in Birmingham only 20 months ago.
Have done my own car a few times. Never paid for it (dealer paid) and always completed in a week or so.

As for sending MOT, V5 and tax disc, you had to supply these at the counter as they all need replacing.

I might be wrong but I thought the £105 included retention and transfer?

Sent mine off on 30th December and was done by 7th Jan - impressive given it was the holiday period but I did triple check that everything was completed correctly to minimise probability of failure.

Did mine in January and took 8 days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom