Private Registration plate change

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

t-dawg1

Car
Mercedes W211
Question: I recently purchased a reg plate from someone and all paperwork has gone through with DVLA and iv received my V5C today with the new reg. my car still has the old reg number on it as the seller offered me the plates aswell for a good price but can only post them to me next week. So how long can I drive my car with still the old Reg on it? My insurance now has the new reg number by the way!

I think in your case it's the insurance I'd be wary of, as if anything happens it just an excuse for them to use against you. As for DVLA they generally allow a short period where both numbers would valid on the car. Not sure what exactly the short period would be though?

+1. A also think you now have to display the correct reg number as your insurance shows.

You may have some explaining to do if an ANPR car picks you up with the old reg.

You may have to splash some cash to buy your own new plates if you wish to use the car before the previous owner sends the other plates.

Ok i think I'll get some made up tomorrow. Do you know how much Mercedes charge for plates and can they do it on the spot?

Halfords do and its about £30 for a pair (ish) how much were you hoping to save :cool:

ATB

ras8963 said:
Halfords do and its about £30 for a pair (ish) how much were you hoping to save :cool: ATB

That's about my budget but I'd have preferred one with a Mercedes logo on it. Do halfords do it on the spot?

Really?

You spend x amount on a private plate then you try and save pennies by having the sellers old worn out physical plates?

You're reasoning astounds me. Not withstanding the fact that your old reg is no longer valid in any way.

Do people not do research?

mat8n said:
Really? You spend x amount on a private plate then you try and save pennies by having the sellers old worn out physical plates? You're reasoning astounds me. Not withstanding the fact that your old reg is no longer valid in any way. Do people not do research?
I got the plates very cheap to be honest on eBay. Old plates are in very good nick too coz he sent me pictures of them.

Last edited:
Are you pulling my leg?
The old plates are worthless to anyone but you.

You get new plates of eBay for £20 with whatever you want on them.

The whole point of a private/personal plate is in the discription!

The old physical plates are worth about 5p as a wall ornament for your garage.

Ok i think I'll get some made up tomorrow. Do you know how much Mercedes charge for plates and can they do it on the spot?

I paid £36 for a pair from my merc dealer, not cheap but bought them for a quick change over, plus didn't want halfords stamping either.

B-BOY said:
I paid £36 for a pair from my merc dealer, not cheap but bought them for a quick change over, plus didn't want halfords stamping either.

Do they do it whilst you wait?

The old plates are worthless to anyone but you.

The old physical plates are worth about 5p as a wall ornament for your garage.

If he sells the personalised registration (or transfers it to another car and keeps the current car) the car would revert to it's original number, so the old plates are worth saving.

I had the scenario myself where I transferred a plate from my 210 to my RR. I couldn't find (more thank likely binned) the original plates and had to buy new plates with the original registration for the 210. :doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom