Pro and cons of a 2013 CLS63

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lemonspotter

Car
W204 C250
Hello guys!

This is my first thread and I am looking for some opinions..

I am looking forward to exchange my current w204 c250 plus £££££ for a CLS at the mid of the year.

One of the main reasons is because CLS itself is one of my dream cars. The second is due to the annual mileage I do.. which is around 5k. Daily commuting is about 18 miles.. basically make the move from diesel to petrol.
Between the CLS400 and CLS63 which one would you pick? CLS400 being a 16 plate and the 63 AMG being a 13 plate.

There is also the maintenance and running costs.. for the daily mileage I do, I dont think that fuel would have a huge impact on my pocket but not sure about the rest.. which things they need more attention.
I am aware that brake discs/pads are really expensive. At the end I also want to make sure that I really can afford to maintain one.

About the CLS400, would probably be an hard sale in the future (I think).

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forum.

If you have never had an AMG, and want one, I would do the AMG now... these kind of cars won't be around forever and circumstances change sometimes beyond your control...

If you have had an AMG before, or are not that bothered, a CLS400 is a good bet although it will be nowhere near the same league of performance. I went to test drive one, strangely at Watford MB, but the roofline is way to low for me and I found the seats to be really hard and uncomfortable - so I didn't even start it. I did find them to be very disorganised too but that's another story. Although I am 6'4", a shade under 20 stone and 43 so physics and age doesn't help me these days. I find getting in and out of a 216 CL500 a bind these days. HST, the CLS63 seats may be the same or harder - but this is all personal preference / circumstances anyway.

The 400 will probably be noticeably more economical as the figures were good.

A 400 with Airmatic will probably cost similar money to the 63 to run, brakes excepted as you know and probably insurance too - depending on your particulars.

You are right on the CLS400 not selling quick though. I looked at them over a good few months before I went to try one and the same ones hung around for ages. CLS63 won't exactly fly off the shelf but I would venture an easier sale nevertheless (I think there is stronger demand for an AMG - if you are looking for economy, you are more likely to go for a diesel than a slightly-better-on-fuel 400).

I feel the 400 is more for people like me but smaller - who had a fairly extreme AMG but cannot trust myself anymore but haven't given up yet. Or it's for those who like the shape / look and really don't want a diesel but cannot justify an AMG or really don't want that kind of performance or additional costs.

I'd advise trying them both to see what you think but if you know in your heart you really want an AMG, then that is what I would personally buy. I know this because it's exactly what I did previously!

You can always move it on if it doesn't workout but at least you will have owned one and will never be left wondering.

Welcome to the forum.

If you have never had an AMG, and want one, I would do the AMG now... these kind of cars won't be around forever and circumstances change sometimes beyond your control...

If you have had an AMG before, or are not that bothered, a CLS400 is a good bet although it will be nowhere near the same league of performance. I went to test drive one, strangely at Watford MB, but the roofline is way to low for me and I found the seats to be really hard and uncomfortable - so I didn't even start it. I did find them to be very disorganised too but that's another story. Although I am 6'4", a shade under 20 stone and 43 so physics and age doesn't help me these days. I find getting in and out of a 216 CL500 a bind these days. HST, the CLS63 seats may be the same or harder - but this is all personal preference / circumstances anyway.

The 400 will probably be noticeably more economical as the figures were good.

A 400 with Airmatic will probably cost similar money to the 63 to run, brakes excepted as you know and probably insurance too - depending on your particulars.

You are right on the CLS400 not selling quick though. I looked at them over a good few months before I went to try one and the same ones hung around for ages. CLS63 won't exactly fly off the shelf but I would venture an easier sale nevertheless (I think there is stronger demand for an AMG - if you are looking for economy, you are more likely to go for a diesel than a slightly-better-on-fuel 400).

I feel the 400 is more for people like me but smaller - who had a fairly extreme AMG but cannot trust myself anymore but haven't given up yet. Or it's for those who like the shape / look and really don't want a diesel but cannot justify an AMG or really don't want that kind of performance or additional costs.

I'd advise trying them both to see what you think but if you know in your heart you really want an AMG, then that is what I would personally buy. I know this because it's exactly what I did previously!

You can always move it on if it doesn't workout but at least you will have owned one and will never be left wondering.

Hello John!

Thanks a lot for your response and opinion!

I never had an AMG before but it is a dream of mine to own one. The insurance figures alone are £1400 per year plus the £500 road tax. The CLS400 performance dont bother me at all as I dont intend to do any drag race or burn tires.. I think in the maintenance side will be more of the service thing.. I just drive a daily 19 miles.. during the weekend can be a bit more but it is about that.. Doesn't make much sense to have a diesel as they are made to "eat miles".
I completely agree with the things you said.. the CLS63 is one my dream cars but the CLS400 is more economical to run. They both cost about the same.. I have checked on autotrader and the CLS400 with a 15 plate cost the same as a 13 plate CLS63. At the end the CLS400 will be 2 years younger but its not an AMG.

The CLS shape takes my breath away.. the concept, design are just spot on.

And as you said, make the move. If it doesn't work out at least I will know what feels like to own and drive one.

I will try to have a test drive on both and see how I feel..

Last edited:
Buy the AMG and enjoy every moment of ownership - no-one laid on their deathbed thinking they should have chosen the CLS400..
Couldn't have put it better myself.

I always say it's better to look back and say, "Remember when...", rather than, "I wish I'd...".

You already know which one you want... but doing some sensible research into a car and possibly alternatives is worth doing to avoid getting stung.

If you are not buying from a main dealer - make sure you have a small slush fund for repairs (I prefer more but I would suggested at least £3k). Buying an enthusiast-owned one can pay dividends but always check out your potential purchased thoroughly no matter where you buy it from.

The CLS63 isn't going to cost a whole lot more to buy and run than most moderately powerful petrol cars - particularly the mileage you will be doing in it.

A 13 plate 63 might be the same money as a 15 plate 400 to buy, but the 63 will still be worth that much more than the newer 400 down the line. They will probably lose similar money and not masses as they drop into the teens and below.

I've bought many cars which are older but way more expensive - mainly because those are more interesting cars and I couldn't afford to buy them new.

Have a I ever regretted it? Nawp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom