Probably one of the greatest inventions ever....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

seven

Car
Transporter Kombi
The brake hold function.
Just found this and i would put it up there with (allegedly - but thats a whole other thread) putting a man on the moon, Stephensons Rocket, the threshing machine or any other marvel from the last millenium.

What do you use it for exactly?

I've never driven a car with this option but in an automatic I'm not sure I understand the benefit of this feature.

Pull up at lights - apply brakes as normal - push a little harder when stopped - brakes stay on and you can take your foot off - press accelerator to go!

Ok, but I've never even thought that keeping my foot on the brake was an issue.

I dont think I'm even conscious of doing it as it just comes naturally.

Holding Brake

Well, for one thing .... using the holding brake function gets round that annoying (sometimes kamikaze) Blue Efficiency delay on go when you hit the accelerator from standstill. Doesn't seem to declutch the auto box if you use the holding brake.

P.

I guess it's one of those features which if I had, I use, but in the meantime I'm happy with my handbrake.

I guess its just a novelty for me at the moment after having a manual car for the last 12 years - that and having only got my new car last week.

I've used this feature on other cars, and although perhaps seen as useful by some it does nothing really for me to be honest :eek:

I don't like to sit with the brakes clamped on for too long on one spot anyway, especially if I've been driving/braking hard, as I am sure it can lead to hot spots on the discs in some cases - causing the transfer of pad material or 'warping' of discs that can lead to vibration through braking etc. If I'm going to be stopped for more than a few seconds I leave a little bit more room and creep forward a few inches now and again :)

Will...
Fair comment if you have been braking hard and the brakes are hot.
Hotspots, pads sticking to disc, pads glazing , etc.
Keeping your foot on the brake may cause the same problems too.

But the hold can be a boon in heavy town traffic and/or busy roundabouts where you need your foot hovering over the accelerator and you need it to go when you hit the gas (I'm talking here about the Blue E models - aaargh !).

[Yeah, yeah I know about left foot braking but how many people do that ? Or rather - do it well ?]

P.

What do you use it for exactly?

I've never driven a car with this option but in an automatic I'm not sure I understand the benefit of this feature.

It works well when you're on a hill. Particularly junctions.

It's convenient when manoeuvring on a slope.

And it's good for a discrete fast getaway from lights. (Though as has been pointed out with an auto you could just use left foot braking).

In principle where you have a foot operated parking brake like on the E it should be of greater benefit with a manual than an auto for hill starts.

I use it a lot and miss it when I drive a car that doesn't have it.

I loved the SBC Hold function on the E class courtesy car I had recently, brilliant!

Does any one know, do the brake lights stay on once SBC Hold is used?

It works well when you're on a hill. Particularly junctions.

It's convenient when manoeuvring on a slope.

And it's good for a discrete fast getaway from lights. (Though as has been pointed out with an auto you could just use left foot braking).

In principle where you have a foot operated parking brake like on the E it should be of greater benefit with a manual than an auto for hill starts.

I use it a lot and miss it when I drive a car that doesn't have it.

But in an auto it wont roll back on a hill anyway. :dk:

I have a manual, and it is a very good and well used feature. Don't know if operation is different to an Auto, but it only holds for half a second or so. Enough time to do a hill start without using the stupid foot brake.

I have a manual, and it is a very good and well used feature. Don't know if operation is different to an Auto, but it only holds for half a second or so. Enough time to do a hill start without using the stupid foot brake.

What model of vehicle.

On SBC equipped vehicle the hold is persistent as long as the parking brake is off, the transmission isn't in P, and the electronics that looks after it are happy with the brake system and battery.

But in an auto it wont roll back on a hill anyway. :dk:

Although an auto won't roll back / forward in principle, there is an amount of slack in the system and, on a steep hill, a car will lurch back a little (6 inches? I have never measured it) before the auto box hold it.

What model of vehicle.

On SBC equipped vehicle the hold is persistent as long as the parking brake is off, the transmission isn't in P, and the electronics that looks after it are happy with the brake system and battery.

2010 C class

I've not experienced that at all. If the engine is running there is no slack from what I can tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom