Probably the worst place to get ur MB looked at under warranty

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adam1

Car
E220CDI avantgarde-tansanite blue with sand-cream leather .Honda Civic, Honda Stream SESport( 160bhp
I had not had any reason to visit a Mb dealer since i bought the car in early December. However recently i had error messages on the dashboard relating to "SRS and elec consumer units disconnected." So decided to book a loan car at 4 weeks notice.

Anyway prior to leaving the car I had washed the car. My wife likes to clean the alloys and i just let her get on with it without interfering. She does this week in week out and has been since we bought the car. Now after we collect the car this Thursday she nocticed immediately that the 2 alloys were not the same ones as she cleaned on Tuesday. Basically the alloys look as they had been taken off with straight line scratches near the bolts. But whats more allarming is the fact that there is a 50p mark near the Mb ring at the centre. This has been caused over time and could not be caused by scuffing etc. (its milky in appearance and seems as water has got under shinny silver appearance).

Its hard for me to imagine that the workshop has changed the wheels and by mistake/or intentionally left us with less than perfect wheels.

I too have never seen these marks and from the photos the car Alloys look as new since the car was delivered 3-4 months ago and I have driven the car less than 2200 miles. I am not a a guy who mistrusts everyone since i bought the car from a MB dealer who was 300 miles away and it I was such an individual i would be very wary from buying since u couldn't take the car back for problems.

The other thing which bugs me but isn't a big thing is that whenever I put fuel i always zero the counter. Having put fuel in on Tuesday i reset counter and drove home. I then left car with dealership on Wed. The car on collection says 128 miles when i work only 9 miles away.( Basically the car has added 120 miles). The car was cleaned externally only prior to my collectionj and i had noticed a polish spray inside the car but without any interior cleaning. ( It seems to me that the car was borrowed which although is dishonest isn't as bad as the alloy problem.

I spoke to the warranty chap today and he said that they couldn't have changed wheels if the car came in for electronic work.He recommeded refurb wheels under warranty..but wanted to replace all 4 when only 2 were affected...and besdies the alloys were new so why should i accept refurbs. The car had a new battery put in which was ordered overnight i was told, and this was causing the errors I'm told.

So where do i stand on this? I have had the car for 3-4 months with just over 2000 miles and the Alloys now look dated overnight. I can't even imagine any dealership could act in this way and will be raising it with the service manager who wasn't very helpful when i took th car in.

adam1 said:
He recommeded refurb wheels under warranty..but wanted to replace all 4 when only 2 were affected...and besdies the alloys were new so why should i accept refurbs.
I was chatting to the parts manager at Whitefield, my local stealership and he said the refurbs are actually better quality than original. The wheels are stripped back to the metal and then painted or polished as required. OEM wheels are made by Ronal mostly and they are of poor quality finish compared to the rest of the car.

so disconnecting the battery magically added 119 miles to the trip meter?

bulls**t

excuse the language - sorry. name and shame the dealer.

sounds to me like the dealer lent it out, and the borrwer scuffed two wheels, so they tried to cover it up...

sorry to say this mate but it's so clear even Frank Spencer wouldn't doubt it...
they will surely deny it to the bone, it's up to you to take it as far as possible.

friend of mine left his car for the service and other bits in MB courtyard and then went to nearby coffee/sandwich shop to wait for it even though they told him to come in 2-3 hours time. He spent the whole time inside that coffee shop reading newspapers and from where he was he could see his car, it was standing there for almost 2 hours and then was taken into the workshop. An hour later it was back so he went to reception to collect his car where they tried to charge him for 3 hours labour and some other bits and pieces that were clearly made up to go in hand with the extra 2 hours :mad:
Not saying all of them are the same but beware, just because they have shiny dealership and they call you "sir" doesn't necessarily mean they are honourable and trustworthy. It's a money game after all...

best of luck

This has been mentioned before, but have you noticed that if you want to borrow or rent a car you have to fill in a stack of forms, offer some kind of damage waiver and then be marched around the car for inspection so they can show you it's perfect before you take it out. Then when you bring it back the same inspection happens doesn't it?

Of course when the stealership take your car off you there's no mention of collision waivers or bodywork inspections.

My Father told me a story about one of his friends who had a car damaged while it was on a "road test" and they tried to tell him HIS insurance should pay for the damage! Yeah right!

Makes me sick.

It's an outrage!!!!!

Although your mileage was up by 120 - how was your fuel? That's your proof! even though he is talking crap. If the milage was affected every time we disconnected batteries then no car could ever be telling you how many miles it had done :crazy: . IF it did happen then surely he would have told you about it up front rather than not mentioning it at all.

Tell him you're going to trading standards unless this is resolved to your complete satisfaction. It does sound like your car has had a little journey that you were not aware of and they are trying to hide that fact.

Seems so outrageous it's not worth negotiating, don't even bother talking to the dealership, find a solicitor, get them to draft you a letter outlining your case including the laws/standards and so on that this whole episode has breached.

Then outline your compensation and sit back and wait.

That's if it is all as you say and/or can prove, if not then caveat emptor...

Pammy, the thing is I feel very angry and at first i had a long discussion with my wife b4 i went down to the dealers....I'm sure she knows the alloys like the back of her hand...women notice things a lot more than us guys. It seems so bizarre and inconceivable that i thought I had amnesia, I mean i thought i must have 1. left only 1/4 fuel in the car 2. maybe my wife didn't clean the car on that day. But after talking to her i commented on the same day when we went shopping that our car looked stunning today in the sun....especially those wheels...thats my cleaning she said. and then i fillled up on Tuesday about £10 worth of fuel on top of what was in already.

So why is it that when i collect it on Thursday my day off the fuel shows less than 1/4 and i had to top up today another 10.00. My credit card shows filling on today and on tuesday night and the trip computer now says 140 miles since reset on tuesday. So the car has covered 131 miles from tuesday and has 10.00 worth of fuel in now from todays topup. I've only driven 9 miles Tuesday and added another 12 miles Thur/Fri. I do not use a lot of mileage....hence 2000 miles in 3-4months, thats why those alloys were brand new and in mint condition.

I would have minded a short drive but 120 miles and 2 marked alloys.....i guess they will deny it and the warranty chap already has.

I have photo evidence of car when it was brought and the alloys look new, that was in december, but having only done a little over 2000 miles they had not changed.

I can't understand why MB dealers allow customer cars to go out like this...and then wash the exterior to cover themselves and spray the interior without cleaning it....do they think we're stupid.

I agree 100% with what Sasha says, and would be the route I would follow.

I've been given cars before which were quite clearly other customers cars. Naturally I took care of them (as I would anyway).

K

Are the tyres yours? Same make,model and wear?

**EDIT** just a thought - all tyres are date stamped (code), do you have a close up of your original wheels wheels where you can see the date stamp on the tyre?

With only, 2000 miles on your tyres, you should still have at least 6-7mm of tread left. Do the replaced wheels have tyres with similar wear?

Personally, I'd strike while the iron is hot, and speak (in person) to the manager of the said dealership, explain what has happened, how you want to be compensated and explain what your next course of action will be should they not rectify the situation within a reasonable time scale.

Then go home and put the same in writing to said manager.

At least this way, you get give the manager one chance to sort things before involving expensive lawyers etc.

FWIW, I think this behaviour is totally unacceptable. Someone is responsible for this and needs to lose their job for doing so and your compensation should be deducted directly from this individuals final salary payment.

Last edited:
Can't really add to anything that has already been said, apart from hope that you get to the bottom of this, and that they identify who is responsible.

The mileage issue alone would be enough to make a fuss about in my books - never mind the apparent damage ; or what seems to sound more like your wheels have definitely been switched.

Some sound advice has been given here - please keep us updated.

S.

Thanks guys/gals for ur helpful comments.

Spike the tyres have the same thread as b4 from what i can tell....for me the depth looks the same but then I wouldn't be able to tell of a slight diff.

Its the alloys that are different condition. Is it poss to replace 2 Alloys overnight (the car went in on Wed 11am..got it back Thursday 3.30pm)since u need to take the tyres off and replace onto alloy. The tyres are the same Continental make with size etc. Do alloys have a serial number and do dealerships log these. If so my Mb dealer who sold me the car could confirm what serial the alloys had. This is a serious allegation...that is why I had a long discussion with my wife but I have to trust her judgement on this...the alloys side...the fuel discrepancy is obvious to me and although i feel a bit angry about that ( although it provides some explanation that the car was loaned) its the alloys that concern me most.

Adam,

You have been taken for a ride by the dealer, or rather your car has.
Go to the dealership as soon as is possible and demand to talk to the service manager and general manager together.
Give them hell and threaten them with legal action. Just check with trading standards first as Pammy says as they can be a usefull source for info and will give you some great tips.

Best of luck

Kinky said:
I've been given cars before which were quite clearly other customers cars. Naturally I took care of them (as I would anyway).

K

If this had happened to me I would question the dealer as to why I was being given another customers car, then parked it up, written a note to owner and put it under the seat, collect my car and used someone else. Totally out of order!!

Hi Adam,
Whilst I have every sympathy with your plight and believe your story implicitly I'm afraid you have little more than circumstantial evidence to back up your claim. Being objective, failure to have reset your tripometer would explain the apparent high(er) mileage. £10's worth of fuel would hardly register on the fuel guage etc. You're wife 'knows' the wheels etc.
As others have said it's worth challenging the manager but ultimately I would take up the offer of replacement wheels etc. (free?) and write the (apparent) use of to experience.
I keep a log of my mileage and record this when taking car to Dealers etc.. Never had a problem but if I did I would KNOW.
Hope you get a satisfactory conclusion.
Cheers,
Dieter

I would take the wheels, and then decide what to do next, the fact the dealer is giving you wheels would stand up well, if they were 100% sure they were your originals they would not offer this to you, it is almost like the dealer accepting they were wrong.

Gizz the dealer is replacing wheels under warranty as refurbs...ie the will send authorisation to MB(no cost to them) to get them replaced with third party refurbs. They decided to do this even before the penny dropped t what i was saying...anyway it depends on authorisation from Mb anyway.

Why should the wheels be replaced under warranty...MB is not at fault here. The dealer needs to learn that alloys can't be swapped from a customers car without their permission.

The mileage tipometer was reset after filling with fuel prior to car going in the garage and was noted by me but not reported to garage( as no formal procedure exists).

I have sought legal advice and it seems a written account is required to present what evidence .it have.it does seem like a lot of hassle for something that shouldn't have happened in the first place...can't believe this goes on ....If i knew this i would never have bought a MB.The problem is will it be cost effective to stand by principles and take legal action or to accept refurbs which could corrode anytime...(i guess they should have 12months warranty)..a dilemma.....depends on how they handle it really.

After looking at the shots from the dealer that delivered my car and going outside to see the wheels, i hope i have the evidence.

I'm assuming that unless you change alloys or the tyre the tyre pressure pin(where you put air in you tyre) remains constant. The tyres are tubless Premium Contact Continentals.

I have seen that on the passengers side the alloy in photo has a prominent metal on the inside of alloy on the back wheel. The alloy on the car now has the that metal only on the front passenger side wheel. The passenger side photo shows tyre pressure pins at front 4pm and rear 7pm now they are 9pm and 8pm. The driver side tyre pressure pins were at 2pm back and 2pm front in photos clearly.....they are now 7pm and 1pm. CLEARLY IF TYRE PRESSURE PINS DO NOT MOVE WHILE UR DRIVING THE ALLOYS HAVE BEEN CHANGED.

Does that mean the alloys have been changed or the tyres....If it was me i would have only changed the tyres if i had a puncture.If i somehow managed to get 2 punctures on 2 diff axles i would have used the Mobolife warranty and called MB which would be logged...there is no other reason why i would change tyres after 2500 miles. From their explanation thye could say i have had 2 punctures in both sides of car in the 4 months. If the tyre pressure pins position are pin specific to the alloys then they can not argue that i have had 2 alloy changes on both sides of the car ....Theses are MB alloys and would have had to change the alloys and then mess up 2 more in a space of 4 months and 2500 miles.....and besides i can see no reason why the back wheel would be swapped for the front.

I am 100% certain that the Alloys have been changed from the photo evidence...there is no other explanation....unless tyre pressure pins move from time to time.

Any Alloys/Tyre experts out there?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I understand that u can't compare wheel positions on diff axles...if you get only back or front spinning then they will be out of alignment.

So the alternative is the wheel on each axle.

Back wheels was 2pm and 7pm and now 7pm and 8pm

Front wheel was 2pm and 4pm now 1pm and 9pm.

The diff between positions on each axle has changed

Last edited:
I'm not quite sure what you mean by the tyre pressure pins, but if you mean do the valves move in relation to each other then the answer is yes they do, everytime you turn a corner.
I suspect by "prominent metal" you are referring to stick on weights. Obviously new weights are only required if the tyres have been replaced.
I suspect the dealer has a similar model on their forcourt and has swapped their wheels for yours and has exchanged the wheels, thus necessitating reballancing of your tyres. Are the weights nice and shiny or have they gone dull.
Also how clean is the back of the rim, as they become filthed up with brake dust which cannot be removed without wheel removal and also there may be clean patches where other weights have been fitted previously.

Check the position of the weights now against the tyre valves and then check in the photos you have of the car. Also you may be able to see the position of the writing on the tyre, but this can be accurate if the fitter marks the tyre before removal.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom