problem 1/3 : hard start up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dogan124

Car
1991 w124 300td (estate) & 1988 Golf II TD
Hello everybody,

I'm new in the forum but already got alot info. I actually had two problems which were not be able to be solved for a year and half since I bought my -2 years searched- MB. But a new one appears now :

I have 1991 w124 300 TD (diesel-estate). Few weeks ago the preheater lamp started not to light while waiting to heat up. Instead it lights after engine starts and a few minutes of engine run it turns off. Nothing else as abnormal during drive. The starting was still very good cold / hot : -as was usual- at a single touch & release.

The service electrically checked the heaters via connection box located right of engine and found out number 3 is out of order. Well, replaced by an original MB part, preheater light came back to normal (turn on the key wait for 2-8 seconds depending on the eng. temp, and lamb turns off then start). Test was OK at service.

But,

Engine doesn't start up as easy as such any more in cold. I either have to make that "touch and release the key" start for 3-4 times (each after lamb turns off) or keep the key touched in the first for 3-4 seconds until it starts.

I went back to the service. They checked the heaters again but found nothing wrong. But the problem is regularly going on.

Could any body comment on this ?

Kind Regards

Dogan

replace all glow plugs with ngk part they have a larger heating surface than mb ones and they are much cheaper

Is it perhaps the relay or some other part was damaged during I drove with failing glove plug.

Or another theory : the new glove plug take the whole ampere and the others are purely working now (may be this is too stupid...)

Check the voltage to the glowplugs with a voltmeter.

I suspect an airleak at the filter-head, check for bubbles in the pipes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom