Problem accessing external disk

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

petermansell

Car
C 250 CDI Coupe
Hi, I bought a new disk to back files up, but instead of the disk showing as another disk on my system it shows as a device in my network. This wouldn't be a problem save for I can't access it. the second attachment image shows that my pc can see the disk but I can't populate its volumes - the boxes are greyed out.

If anyone has any advice about how to get to make this disk useful I would be grateful!

Background

This disk is connected to the pc via a docking station and USB 3 that works fine with other disks. I'm using windows 7

Attachments

• Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 14
Looks like it needs a volume created on it.

Use Windows Disk Manager to take a look, and create partion(s) on it as you require.

Last edited:
Indeed that is the problem Phil. I just can't work out how to populate it because those dialogue boxes are greyed out!

Should you not be looking for this new drive in COMPUTER, it should show as a drive (F) or (G) for example.

Dec
2 Example's below of where you should see this new drive.

http://www.thelifedigital.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/windows7-my-computer.png
dual-ubuntu-windows-7-my-comp.jpg

Last edited:
Yes Dec the disk should show where you sugest but does not. Rather it shows in Netwrk devices but without any volume and I can't find how to populate the volume as the required dialogue box is greyed out in per my attached image.

To open Window 7 Disk Manager:

1. Click on Start
2. Enter diskmgmt.msc into the search field

Select diskmgmt.msc from the list of programs and Disk Management will open.

If you get a dialog box pop up that says "You do not have access rights to Logical Disk Manager on <computer name>" then dismiss the dialog, close the Disk Management window, and repeat steps 1 & 2 but then right click on diskmgmt.msc in the list of programs and select "Run as administrator" and enter the admin account password.

Once the Disk Management has initialised you can check the status of your external drive.

Last edited:
Thanks Phil I now have a useful disk! (I didn't event know that little program existed...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom