Problem after service - V6 280 CDI

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
x3 Front engine bearing, happens after a service usually. Big bucks to fix, I asked a reputable indie, he reckons it's a £2000 plus job. A dealer may sting over £3000

Just out of interest, how many miles has the car covered?

x3 Front engine bearing, happens after a service usually. Big bucks to fix, I asked a reputable indie, he reckons it's a £2000 plus job. A dealer may sting over £3000

Shouldn't MB pay for the costs or provide some sort of goodwill since its the manufacturer's fault?

Just out of interest, how many miles has the car covered?

It ran 55,000 miles

The CLS I mentioned is a 51000 Miles mine was 74000 miles. Louder at NSF wheel seals it for me

Shouldn't MB pay for the costs or provide some sort of goodwill since its the manufacturer's fault?

They will, but the part they don't pay is still enough to make you wince.

Technically, once the car is out of warranty, they could pay nothing.

From my Vauxhal days I can say that if you approached the dealer armed with a printed copy of a TIS bulletin, you were in a better position to get some contribution as you were able to demonstrate that the manufacturer is aware of a problem. Otherwise it would be put down to 'Ooooh it's just one of those things Sorry'.

Dieselman said:
They will, but the part they don't pay is still enough to make you wince.

Technically, once the car is out of warranty, they could pay nothing.

Its ashame that they don't pay for the total costs even though its a manufacturing defect and the owner or the service garage have nothing to do with the problem... I'd call this daylight robbery.

markjay said:
From my Vauxhal days I can say that if you approached the dealer armed with a printed copy of a TIS bulletin, you were in a better position to get some contribution as you were able to demonstrate that the manufacturer is aware of a problem. Otherwise it would be put down to 'Ooooh it's just one of those things Sorry'.

What is a TIS bulletin?

TIS is GM speak for Technical Information Service - probably similar to MB WIS (Workshop Information System).

markjay said:
TIS is GM speak for Technical Information Service - probably similar to MB WIS (Workshop Information System).

Ok. Is the TIS the link that was posted earlier in this thread ( Just Answer link) or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

What sort of mileage can these rattling bearings endure and is there any damage being done to the car/engine until not replaced?

The MB line is there is no detrimental damage to the engine.
If its out of warranty they will want to fix it. If its in warranty its characterisitcs of the engine

Its ashame that they don't pay for the total costs even though its a manufacturing defect and the owner or the service garage have nothing to do with the problem... I'd call this daylight robbery.

Isn't that what the three year warranty is for, repairing manufacturing defects?

I've never really understood why the Sale of Goods Act terms regarding durability can't seem to be applied to these situations. The normal argument is whether a failure was caused by a manufacturing defect - if one has been acknowledged then I can't see what the issue is.

The MB line is there is no detrimental damage to the engine.
If its out of warranty they will want to fix it. If its in warranty its characterisitcs of the engine

Since MB are saying that this ticking sound causes no harm to the engine, does it really cause any harm to the engine? Also, won't the bearing just break or crack one day, if not replaced?

Isn't that what the three year warranty is for, repairing manufacturing defects?

That's a way to see it. Really disspointed in MB

I've never really understood why the Sale of Goods Act terms regarding durability can't seem to be applied to these situations. The normal argument is whether a failure was caused by a manufacturing defect - if one has been acknowledged then I can't see what the issue is.

Their terms and conditions etc. state all sorts of things...

I regret getting rid of the 200K (it only had done 9000 miles, yes 9000 :thumb:) for a 280CDI.

Their terms and conditions etc. state all sorts of things...

Should be irrelevant really - it always states they're in addition to your statutory rights.

Can anyone let me know if any 'real' damage to the car or engine can be caused by the vibrating bearing? Is it really worth spending a fortune to sort this noise out?

If the bearing was to break up & fail completely you would probably be looking at needing a new engine.

If the bearing was to break up & fail completely you would probably be looking at needing a new engine.

Yes I know that a broken bearing will wreck the whole system. Would the bearing actually break though, or is no damage being caused?

That's just a risk you take if you leave it as it is, it may last forever & get no worse or it could break up next time you start car.
You are after an answer that nobody can really give a definitive answer to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom