Problem starting - 8yr stationary

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

altreed

Car
c36 AMG, z3 2.8, BMW 330D Touring.... Bike: Yamaha T/cat 600, Z1r {gxsr1100 mota}, CR500 Aii
Hi,

We tried to start my old merc after it being parked on my drive for anything up to 8 years.

Won't fire. :wallbash:

- Checked it has a spark and the tank is half full.

- Smells like petrol at the exhaust fumes.

- Pressed the 'tyre valve' on the fuel rail, it is pumping squirts of fuel as the starter motor is turning.

- We got the engine running by spraying fuel from a cillit bang squirter onto the throttle valve as it was cranking. But only ran for as long as you squirted fuel... :fail

Questions.

Might the injectors have 'gummed up' or corroded being sat for so long?

will the fuel be too stale to start the car?

How can I get it going again? I need to move it next weekend.

Thanks for any suggestions or help.

Dave

Drain the tank and give it fresh fuel.

Did you turn it over slowly by hand first with the plugs out a few times to get oil circulating? Hopefully it has not scored the cylinder bores through corrosion and lack of oil

Exactly which vehicle are you having problems with?

Thanks,

C36.

Where do I drain the tank?

It spun on the starter motor. When it ran the engine sounded nice, no knocks or clatters.

Thnks
Dave

Have a look underneath for a drain plug??

Or disconnect the fuel hose from the tank and see if you can drain it from there.

I would not have started am engine that had not run for so long without a few rotations by and then a few on the starter with fuel and ignition disabled, hopefully there is no damage.

8 year old fuel will be useless. I would empty the tank and replace the fuel filter.

8 year old fuel will be useless. I would empty the tank and replace the fuel filter.

Thanks,

I will try to siphon the fuel out and then add fresh fuel.

ATM I just need to drive the car round the corner for a few days while work is done on the drive, then I can bring it home. Next year the strip and reno should start in our new garage. :D

How do you get it into neutral if the engine not running, does it not lock in Park? Never tried to put it in Neutral.

How do you get it into neutral if the engine not running, does it not lock in Park? Never tried to put it in Neutral.

I'm fairly certain you could put it into neutral with the ignition on but without starting the engine. You certainly can on my W124 of similar vintage (and on various other automatics I've occasionally had to tow or push over the years).

Thanks, we managed to tow it in neutral.

We found that one rear wheel was locked. We jacked up and managed to remove the rear caliper and clean it all up. After that, it was plain sailing, although the steering was a bit on the heavy side :)

We couldn't siphon out the old fuel and couldn't fin htefuel pump. does anyone have an exploed diagram on where the fuel pump and drain plug are?

Many thanks

You will be lucky if you have not damaged the bores doing this after 8 years stood:doh:crazy, you could have disconnected fuel pump to crank over a few times to get the oil to circulate from the sump...or some lubrication at least down the bores before trying to fire.

As already stated, after 8 years the fuel would have gone off...change fuel filter, but i fear you may now have bore damage, will need to be checked.

All brake parts will need stripping as likely to be seized to some level, tyres will have 'flatted' / perished so need replacing..all fluids, lubricants, coolant etc will need changing asap...included in a full service (plugs) & check.

Common on cars stood for so long for the CPS to fail after first run and heat up...

Thanks,

C36.

Where do I drain the tank?

It spun on the starter motor. When it ran the engine sounded nice, no knocks or clatters.

Thnks
Dave

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom