Problem with Email Sending SMTP Port

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jaymanek

Authorised Forum Sponsor
SUPPORTER
Car
Lots of Mercedes!
Guys spent all morning trying to sort this out... cant seem to fathom it.

My mercland email is hosted by freeparking.com

emails are not sending through windows live (like outlook)

Its coming up with an error 0x800CCC0B

The outgoing mail port is 25.. upon the recommendation of freeparking support I changed to 2525 but that didnt work. Now freeparking say I must try using my ISP's smtp but no idea how to do that. A quick google suggests its pretty difficult (BT business)

It was working fine up until yesterday...

I have tried a system restore to a point from a week ago and that hasnt helped. Have also turned off windows firewall and my router firewall but still no luck.

Any ideas people, going mad!

p.s. sending emails from the web interface of freeparking emails does work.

try using port 587.

It's not too hard with BT business.....just put in the BT SMTP server into the outgoing smtp server bit, add your BT username and password.....
you may need to get BT to whitlist your domain on their servers as well.

Happy to help you migrate to Office365....???

Last edited:
Ok so got it sorted... used the BT server as you said... I didnt have the usernames etc but it didnt take too long on the phone...

phew.. back to work.

I helped someone out with a similar problem last week, they couldn't send mail using windows7's new "live" client on any smtp settings, just suddenly stopped working.

It turned out it was the first time they tried to send an attachment, the live client insists on uploading all images to it's microsoft cloud so if you don't have a windows live account it fails with an obscure error message. This happens regardless of whose email service/smtp settings you are using. Once we used an alernative client or created and signed into a 'live' account it worked again.

Seems like that wasn't your issue, but I mention it in case this one hits you later.

Glad you sorted it.

As an aside I used to lose hours looking after email and associated rubbish. I switched to gmail 18 months ago which costs me about £3 a month and never have a smidgen of bother.

Highly recommend looking at it....

Any ideas people, going mad!

p.s. sending emails from the web interface of freeparking emails does work.

As Wleg suggested using port 587 is often the remedy for this.

Some ISPs started blocking attempts to connect to port 25 on any server a few years ago to stop their customers (deliberately or because their machines were compromised) from being able to send out SPAM on this port.

The convention is that 587 works just like 25 for outgoing mail but on 587 servers will demand a user name and password in order to deliver mail. That acts as an impediment to casual miseuse of mail servers.

2525 nor 587 worked for me... still dont know the root cause but it wasnt working on my bberry either so im thinking it may be a freeparking server issue.

On a side note ive never really been too happy with the hosting provided by freeparking... often get downtime on email servers etc..
Whats the process for transferring to someone more reliable?

BT are one of the worst offenders when it comes to blocking outgoing port 25 traffic.

I think the free version closed ages ago. I use google apps in any case, which has additional features.
Ah, thanks, I didn't know that. Mine is free :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom