Problem with LED sidelights.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bambam13

Car
C180k cl203 coupe
I've had error free LED sidelights fitted to my c180k coupe for about 3 months now with no problems what so ever.

Suddenly I've noticed the drivers side only has stopped working.

I've searched the forum and elsewhere online and cannot find a specific answer.

I've swapped the bulbs round and at the moment it only seems to be the drivers side not working. When I unlock the car it flickers and sometimes doesn't come on at all. When I'm driving I've noticed it's out completely.

Has this happened to anyone before? I'm now getting an error message but the bulbs have worked fine with canbus for 3 months and now only one side is causing problems and when I swap the bulbs over its the same side causing the problem.

I really appreciate if somebody to solve this for me. :)
Thanks.

I have had to change mine out, they dont last forever, or a couple of years even

But three months? I've replaced them with a different set of led bulbs, also error free, but still having the problem.

Do you have incandescent bulbs at the rear?

Could be one of those about to fail, but you are assuming it is an led issue.

haven't modified the rear lights. Error message says "check front right parking bulb" it flickers when I unlock and lock the car but when the engine is running it stays on. They are error free lights and haven't had any problems with them before. Haven't changed anything in the car to cause it...

The flicker is from the can system doing a self check on on the bulbs so by the time you get key into the ignition it knows there is a bulb gone

The flicker is from the can system doing a self check on on the bulbs so by the time you get key into the ignition it knows there is a bulb gone

But the bulb isn't gone.. It works fine when the engine is running. When I turn the key to position 2 (just before the engine starts) the lights are still in the 'locator lighting' mode (sides and fogs come on when unlocked) and I get the error message. Sorry Irish if I'm going in circles.

When I sell mine I mention that the 'follow me home' lighting must be switched off as the changing voltage effects the LEDs. Id try that

When I sell mine I mention that the 'follow me home' lighting must be switched off as the changing voltage effects the LEDs. Id try that

But the follow me home function has always worked before. Is there a way to fix it. I really like having the lights come on when I unlock the car :)

LEDs are prone to fluctuations in currents. Can cause them to fail.

I personally put 99% issues down to how they have been installed (not aimed at you)

I still have my original W5Ws that are getting on for 3 years old

LEDs are prone to fluctuations in currents. Can cause them to fail.

I personally put 99% issues down to how they have been installed (not aimed at you)

I still have my original W5Ws that are getting on for 3 years old

So how do I return to having my follow me home sequence back to normal again, new bulbs, in-line resistors?

An extra detail loosely related: I have LED fog light bulbs with inline resistors installed purely so they match the sidelights on the follow me home function.
I only have my fog lights on whilst driving maybe 3 days a year so they're only there for asthetics not performance. The fog lights have no issues with flickering or error messages.

Try replacing with traditional bulbs to determine whether LED is a contributing factor. They cost pennies.

But the follow me home function has always worked before. Is there a way to fix it. I really like having the lights come on when I unlock the car :)

That isn't follow me home, that's surround lighting. Follow me home is where they stay on for an amount of time after you lock it.

That isn't follow me home, that's surround lighting. Follow me home is where they stay on for an amount of time after you lock it.

Yeah. I called it locator lighting as that's what it says in the settings. Anybody know how to fix it?

Damage will have already been done by the sounds of it. you will need a replacement LED

Damage will have already been done by the sounds of it. you will need a replacement LED

So all I need are new bulbs? That's not bad at all. Any recommendations on which ones to get?

Id buy the same LED (from the same supplier) as you have in the car already otherwise the colour temp maybe different.

Bare in mind is only a matter of time before this happens again if you keep the 'follow me home lighting' on.

Id buy the same LED (from the same supplier) as you have in the car already otherwise the colour temp maybe different.

Bare in mind is only a matter of time before this happens again if you keep the 'follow me home lighting' on.

I'll bare that in mind, thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom