Problem with my 'Copy' of 2006DX Tele Atlas CD

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

High-Lo

MB Enthusiast
Car
2013 X166 Mercedes GL350, Porsche 911 Carrera 4 Cabriolet, Porsche 968 Cabriolet
I just bought an eBay 'bargain' - A 2006 DX Tele Atlas CD for £31 delivered. Upon opening the bubble bag I noticed immediately that the 'original' CD had Verbatim CD-R printed on the centre. Anyway I tried the CD in my Comand this morning and unsurprisingly it doesn't work - Just get read errors. I specifically asked the seller if it was original before I placed a bid and he said it was.

To be honest the label looks like it has been done very tidily and it would look original apart from the Verbatim CD-R print.

Does it look like I have been done?

Cheers,
Steve

From the sound of it yes.

Give the guy the opportunity to refund you returning the goods, if not fill in a negative feedback and then go through the process of trying to get your money back depending on how you paid for it.

Yes it sounds like you have been diddled,
I have a genuine DVD which I have copied and this copy is in the car working properly. It sounds like this cowboy has diddled you and is pretty thick to boot.

What I hate about Ebay is the fear of your getting a negative feedback from this person simply because you have been honest even though they have acted illegally.

Regards,
John

I would contact FACT (Federation against Copyright Theft) and they will hopefully be very keen to intervene!

What is the sellers ID?

High-Lo said:
I just bought an eBay 'bargain' - A 2006 DX Tele Atlas CD for £31 delivered. Upon opening the bubble bag I noticed immediately that the 'original' CD had Verbatim CD-R printed on the centre. Anyway I tried the CD in my Comand this morning and unsurprisingly it doesn't work - Just get read errors. I specifically asked the seller if it was original before I placed a bid and he said it was.

To be honest the label looks like it has been done very tidily and it would look original apart from the Verbatim CD-R print.

Does it look like I have been done?

Cheers,
Steve

The 2006 Teleatlas CD's are notoriously difficult, if not almost impossible, to copy. I am not surprised you are having trouble with it.

The seller has acted illegally and should be reported to eBay as selling fake goods. PM me their ebay ID and I'll do it for you. I will also pass their details on to my Teleatlas account manager. Also, as already suggested, report them to FAST and FACT.

If you want a genuine 2006/2007 disk, then email me on [email protected] and I'll give you a competitive quote.

Dont do as they say above

You must file a complaint first this allows ebay/paypal to put a freeze on his account ( money ) and reserve the amount you paid so that if it goes in your favour you will get your miney back. If you let others report him./her he will take his cash out and there wont be sufficient sums to repay you.
be prepared that ebay/paypal will make you sned it back, recorded and that you will have to fax a copy of your recorded delivery chitty.

This can 4-8 weeks to get your money back.

Thanks for your advice guys much appreciated. Initially I thought there was a chance that the seller did not know it was a copy and may have been using this CD previously in a Blaupunkt Travelpilot or similar where it worked before. I have since checked out the auction details again and the CD in the picture is not the same as the one I recieved.

Please do not contact the seller until I have given him an opportunity to give me a refund but for information here is a link to the eBay auction.

Cheers,
Steve

Id say give him a chance, contact him through ebay channels as he might have the original still and could post that to you.. if he does not respond then as above really..

High-Lo said:
Thanks for your advice guys much appreciated. Initially I thought there was a chance that the seller did not know it was a copy and may have been using this CD previously in a Blaupunkt Travelpilot or similar where it worked before. I have since checked out the auction details again and the CD in the picture is not the same as the one I recieved.

Have a look at their sales history - they've already sold this disk at least once before and had an APS50 6.0 up before this. Sorry but they know what they are selling isn't kosher.

I loath people that do this.
I purchased an "original" version of XP on Ebay after emailing the seller and specifically stating I needed genuine software. He assured me it was.

As you have probably guessed it wasn't and was picked up by Microsoft licence detector.
I got my money back from the seller and was awarded a genuine version from Microsoft so all in a good result for once.:bannana:

Good luck.

I haven't received an email from the seller as yet. Will give him until tomorrow before I start an eBay dispute.

Here is a comparison between the image used in the eBay and the actual item received.

2006DX1.jpg
2006DX.jpg

I think its safe to assume that the seller is well aware that he is selling copied discs. I have asked him to either provide me with a refund or send me the original disc as used in his eBay ad. Will await reply.

Cheers,
Steve

Yes, he's a cheeky boy, i had to look twice before i realised the centre was white .....

Be interesting to hear what he comes up with ....

Worst comes to the worst i imagine Ebay would ban him straight off and Paypal would close his account as well ..... as mentioned before, get his address from his paypal details and inform TS and FACT , and Teleatlas , i'm sure they would be more than interested . ;)

Just received a reply:

Item: TELE-ATLAS-CD-UNITED KINGDOM-IRELAND-DX-2006 (280062478809)
This message was sent after the listing closed.
barbell1947 is the seller.

Hi Steve,I bought the Cd,couple of months ago,as an original Cd,I have been using it,with no problem.Are you sure you have the right disc for your car?I am not very tech,orientated,and i have bought incorrect discs for my car.The disc definately works,I only replaced it for the michelin edition.
Please advise?
Barry

I just replied:

Hi Barry, it definitely does not work as I get immediate read errors and when I eject it and put my 2002 DX CD back in it reads my old one perfectly. Also the picture used in your eBay ad shows an original CD but the one I received is a Verbatim copied CD-R version. What do you think? I'm happy to get the original disc as in your advert but I'm not really happy to pay £30 for a copied disc I'm afraid. What can you offer?
Cheers,
Steve

Good luck mate, hope he does the honest thing and offers you a refund. If he's got a history of selling these then he deserves what is likely to happen if he doesn't comply with your entirely reasonable request.

Another reply:

Item: TELE-ATLAS-CD-UNITED KINGDOM-IRELAND-DX-2006 (280062478809)
This message was sent after the listing closed.
barbell1947 is the seller.

Hi Steve,firstly i apologise for the troubles,i am not going to fall out over a £30 disc.I have a mercedes-clk,i am not going to tell lies over such a small item,from my point of view,hopefully,you understand that.The disc does work,otherwise i would not have sold it.I have bought bad one's,and can assure you that is not my practice.I am not a dealer,just a consumer.I have no idea,why it is not working in your system,maybe you need an update to your system?I do not have a replacement to give,so either return for a refund,or i am happy to give you a discount for the trouble.
Thanks,
Barry.

I have taken up his offer for a refund so we'll see if he follows it through to the end and keeps to his word. If he's just a 'consumer' I find it confusing why he's sold a few of these discs in the past :confused:

Well that's a good result, that's an honest response and amicable solution. However, you're right about the past history, does look a bit strange.

A-AvantGarde said:
Well that's a good result, that's an honest response and amicable solution. However, you're right about the past history, does look a bit strange.

Not to mention the fact that he's conveniently ignored the request to account for the difference in pictures ! Maybe he took a picture of one of the 'incorrect' CDs that he's bought in the past and just used the same picture to sell the other incorrect ones ! (Or maybe not!)

S.

High-Lo said:
Another reply:

I have taken up his offer for a refund so we'll see if he follows it through to the end and keeps to his word. If he's just a 'consumer' I find it confusing why he's sold a few of these discs in the past :confused:

Seems a bit dodgy to me. But so long as he does do the refund then all is good for you. BUt to my humble opinion he knew what he was sending out was not a genuine CD/DVD as pictured in his auction.

But at least he is good enough to offer a refund - let us know if you get it.

A-AvantGarde said:

mmm, I wonder how many of the 'private' auctions in his history are for similar items?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom