Problem with new TV set up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Piff

MB Enthusiast
Car
Porsche Macan S
Recently bought a new TV - LG OLED65C24LA. We have a Panasonic Blu-ray Disc Home Theatre Sound System - SC-BTT590 5:1 surround sound, bought Jan 2013 - Previously attached to a Panasonic 50" Plasma of similar age and worked fine.

Also connected:-
Denon record deck connected to Aux in on SC-BTT590
Sky Q connected to HDMI 1 on TV
Roku box connected to HDMI 3 & USB on TV
Oticon TV adaptor 3.0 connected to TV Optical Digital out. (This is a Bluetooth transmitter to hearing aids)

Oticon TV adaptor only has Optical Digital in & phono in. TV does not have phono out.

The LG OLED65C24LA does not output sound to more than one location at a time except TV speakers & Optical Digital

We would like to output sound to the SC-BTT590 at the same time as the Oticon TV adaptor so cannot use HDMI 2 ARC on the TV to the HDMI ARC on the SC-BTT590

The only solution we have found so far to be able to output sound to both devices is Optical Digital Cable to the Oticon input and Optical Digital Cable from the Oticon output to the SC-BTT590

Both the LG OLED65C24LA and the SC-BTT590 have network cables connected to a network switch which is connected to the router.

The problem:-
The surround sound is output correctly from the SC-BTT590 for about 15/20 minutes then it randomly switches voice from the centre speaker to the front left & the rear right. Then 5/10 minutes later it switches back to how it should be. Then a while later it switches the voice channel again - and so on.
When the SC-BTT590 is connected to the TV by HDMI 2 ARC the same thing happens.

So, it would appear that the TV is outputting sound in a way that cannot be fully understood by the SC-BTT590.

SC-BTT590 instructions advise HDMI ARC as the best connection to a TV, but if this is not available then regular HDMI cable from TV HDMI to SC-BTT590 HDMI ARC with a separate optical digital cable (which is what we have done).
SC-BTT590 firmware is up to date.

I have spoken with the TV supplier (Richer Sounds) and their initial advice is to make sure TV, Sky Q & SC-BTT590 are all set to standard Dolby Digital.
I have done this but the problem persists.

I'm currently away for a week so not able to change settings at the moment but would appreciate any input. Is it possible that the SC-BTT590 is fried?

Recently bought a new TV - LG OLED65C24LA. We have a Panasonic Blu-ray Disc Home Theatre Sound System - SC-BTT590 5:1 surround sound, bought Jan 2013 - Previously attached to a Panasonic 50" Plasma of similar age and worked fine.

Also connected:-
Denon record deck connected to Aux in on SC-BTT590
Sky Q connected to HDMI 1 on TV
Roku box connected to HDMI 3 & USB on TV
Oticon TV adaptor 3.0 connected to TV Optical Digital out. (This is a Bluetooth transmitter to hearing aids)

Oticon TV adaptor only has Optical Digital in & phono in. TV does not have phono out.

The LG OLED65C24LA does not output sound to more than one location at a time except TV speakers & Optical Digital

We would like to output sound to the SC-BTT590 at the same time as the Oticon TV adaptor so cannot use HDMI 2 ARC on the TV to the HDMI ARC on the SC-BTT590

The only solution we have found so far to be able to output sound to both devices is Optical Digital Cable to the Oticon input and Optical Digital Cable from the Oticon output to the SC-BTT590

Both the LG OLED65C24LA and the SC-BTT590 have network cables connected to a network switch which is connected to the router.

The problem:-
The surround sound is output correctly from the SC-BTT590 for about 15/20 minutes then it randomly switches voice from the centre speaker to the front left & the rear right. Then 5/10 minutes later it switches back to how it should be. Then a while later it switches the voice channel again - and so on.
When the SC-BTT590 is connected to the TV by HDMI 2 ARC the same thing happens.

So, it would appear that the TV is outputting sound in a way that cannot be fully understood by the SC-BTT590.

SC-BTT590 instructions advise HDMI ARC as the best connection to a TV, but if this is not available then regular HDMI cable from TV HDMI to SC-BTT590 HDMI ARC with a separate optical digital cable (which is what we have done).
SC-BTT590 firmware is up to date.

I have spoken with the TV supplier (Richer Sounds) and their initial advice is to make sure TV, Sky Q & SC-BTT590 are all set to standard Dolby Digital.
I have done this but the problem persists.

I'm currently away for a week so not able to change settings at the moment but would appreciate any input. Is it possible that the SC-BTT590 is fried?
Hi Piff ,

As the fault is intermittent have you checked that all the cables are fully home. Cables do also have a habit of failing.

Will check the cables on our return, but I'm not sure that will be the problem as we have fiddled with cables several times trying to get the right layout

They may be worth a try, thank you, assuming the experts here can't help!

Check that you are using good optical cables (try others) and that these "click" when inserted.

I've seen a lot of users just push these in a little without clicking then into place properly.

Check that you are using good optical cables (try others) and that these "click" when inserted.

I've seen a lot of users just push these in a little without clicking then into place properly.
One of the two may be of dubious quality. They did click in ok though
Thing is the same problem occured when the surround sound system was connected to the TV with HDMI ARC

Optical cables will either work or not - there is no low quality working mode.

Optical cables will either work or not - there is no low quality working mode.

There is if they do not locate fully into the socket.
We have seen some poor ones with very bad quality plugs that do not go all the way in and cause problems.

There is if they do not locate fully into the socket.
We have seen some poor ones with very bad quality plugs that do not go all the way in and cause problems.
The problem being is that they don't function at all - there is no halfway house.

The problem being is that they don't function at all - there is no halfway house.

OK, you clearly do not believe me but trust me we have seen this in the past where they will be in far enough to work but slight vibrations causes them to move then fail and so on.

I fuilly understand the On/Off principal as I design electronics for a living. :)

Jeez, I must be a dinosaur! Did not understand any of that beyond the first line. I plug in my TV set and get pictures and sound, which is still a wonder to me. I have just moved into the realms of smart TV, a great leap from the small black/white sets that I grew up with. o_O
Hats off to those that can navigate through the electronic minefield.👍

Personally, I'd start by keeping things simple and connect only the TV to the home theatre system, and nothing else to the TV.

If the audio still misbehaves, there's either some form of incompatibility twixt the two, or the new TV is misbehaving.

If it doesn't misbehave, add back one additional component connection at a time until you find the one that's causing the issue.

Always distrust the "new TV "--an assumption that something new is faultless is a common mistake to make- intermittant faults are often down to components/microchips overheating after a short period of use ONLY TO RESUME NORMAL FUNCTION after cooling down again. Many electronic devices will often fail quite quickly in days/weeks ----or go on reliably for many years-its a recognised failure pattern

Jeez, I must be a dinosaur! Did not understand any of that beyond the first line. I plug in my TV set and get pictures and sound, which is still a wonder to me. I have just moved into the realms of smart TV, a great leap from the small black/white sets that I grew up with. o_O
Hats off to those that can navigate through the electronic minefield.👍

I have a TV and surround sound amp in the front room with 5.1 speakers. I use the TV's EPG and a Chromecast dongle, the kids have a PS4 plugged in. I'd spent a lot on upgrading my amp and the L, R & centre speakers when I moved in in 2019 and was looking forward to an excellent audio experience but, most of the time it sounded muddy and echo-y at best and at times pretty awful.

It took the extreme boredom of Lockdown to actually sit down, read the amplifier manual properly and check all the cabling. It turned out that I'd wired the front L&R into completely wrong outputs, the builders hard transposed rear L&R speaker cables, I was using completely wrong Scene settings etc etc etc.

I ripped it all apart and started again with my new found knowledge and bingo! It now sounds like the £2k audio system it always should have done.

What a numpty......

Update & probable resolution.
Yesterday I spent hours changing settings & cables with no success.
Ended up with a factory reset on the Panasonic SC-BTT590.
Suddenly it works as it should. No idea what setting has been changed by the reset but having wasted hours on this I'm happy to leave it as it is.

Maybe one day in the future I'll switch to a separate Blu-ray player & AV amp.

LG 65C24LA TV is fantastic - Richer Sounds £1549:banana:

Ok, so the problem wasn't resolved. No matter what checks made & settings changed the surround sound continued to mis-behave.
SWMBO then had a terminal cancer diagnosis which put this problem into perspective.

However, cancer is being treated with some success, pushing back the "terminal" date. So I'm back to thinking that I would like to resolve the surround sound woes.

The Panasonic SC-BT590 works superbly as a surround sound Blu-ray player but has issues with the feed from the TV. I'm considering a separate Blu-ray player & a separate AV receiver.

The LG TV only outputs to one output at a time so I have to pre-select either TV speakers or HDMI or optical or................. So when choosing the AV receiver I need to check that it has the right inputs/outputs to suit the rest of the equipment I need to attach.

I'm quite happy with the Panasonic 5.1 speakers we have as we don't crank up the volume enough to distort. But I would quite like to add another couple of top speakers for 7.1 Dolby Atmos.

But, I'm not sure compatibility of the old speakers with a new AV receiver.

The current Panasonic speakers do not have a wattage on the rear labels, only "impedance 3 ohm" The SC-BT590specifications claim to output 200w 3 ohm to the subwoofer, 185w 3 ohm fronts, 180w 3 ohm centre & 125w 3 ohm rears. (the fronts & rears are identical speakers)

Looking at new AV receivers, the suggested speakers have different impedance. For example, a Sony STR-DH790 requires speaker impedance of 6 to 16 ohms. It then goes on to advise 145w x 7 channels at 6 ohms.

So, I don't understand this ohms business. Would I need to change the current speakers? To add a further 2 speakers for 7.1, would they need to be 3 ohm to match the existing ones?

Help please :doh: :dk:

I may be of track here, but does the LG not have "Multi output audio" setting. My Samsung has this, although the menu only shows up after plugging an audio device in.

I may be of track here, but does the LG not have "Multi output audio" setting. My Samsung has this, although the menu only shows up after plugging an audio device in.
Don’t think so. The only multiple setting I can find is “TV speakers & optical digital”

Ok, so the problem wasn't resolved. No matter what checks made & settings changed the surround sound continued to mis-behave.
SWMBO then had a terminal cancer diagnosis which put this problem into perspective.

However, cancer is being treated with some success, pushing back the "terminal" date. So I'm back to thinking that I would like to resolve the surround sound woes.

The Panasonic SC-BT590 works superbly as a surround sound Blu-ray player but has issues with the feed from the TV. I'm considering a separate Blu-ray player & a separate AV receiver.

The LG TV only outputs to one output at a time so I have to pre-select either TV speakers or HDMI or optical or................. So when choosing the AV receiver I need to check that it has the right inputs/outputs to suit the rest of the equipment I need to attach.

I'm quite happy with the Panasonic 5.1 speakers we have as we don't crank up the volume enough to distort. But I would quite like to add another couple of top speakers for 7.1 Dolby Atmos.

But, I'm not sure compatibility of the old speakers with a new AV receiver.

The current Panasonic speakers do not have a wattage on the rear labels, only "impedance 3 ohm" The SC-BT590specifications claim to output 200w 3 ohm to the subwoofer, 185w 3 ohm fronts, 180w 3 ohm centre & 125w 3 ohm rears. (the fronts & rears are identical speakers)

Looking at new AV receivers, the suggested speakers have different impedance. For example, a Sony STR-DH790 requires speaker impedance of 6 to 16 ohms. It then goes on to advise 145w x 7 channels at 6 ohms.

So, I don't understand this ohms business. Would I need to change the current speakers? To add a further 2 speakers for 7.1, would they need to be 3 ohm to match the existing ones?

Help please :doh: :dk:

How often do you actually use your Blu-ray player?

(Question from someone who has spent a chunk of his life helping people update old IT systems with bits of arcane function being carried forward, despite the function is seldom needed, if at all. I stream all my video content these days on a 65 inch OLED LG, and never pause to think that I should be watching our old Blu-rays and DVD's)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom