Problem with new TV set up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Blu-ray only used occasionally, probably less than once a month.
The more important thing to sort is the surround sound

So decision to take action resulted in a browse of Richer Sounds web site on a Friday evening and a “request for assistance“ email.
Response received on Saturday morning asking me for more info.
That evening there was a film on tv which I wanted to watch so for the first time in 6 months I thought I would try the old surround sound - it worked perfectly :dk:
I tried it again a week later & it worked perfectly again.
Richer Sounds advised & put on the back burner.

We don’t have a Richer Sounds nearby so haven’t visited a store for the necessary research.
Was in York yesterday and waiting for SWMBO in another store, spotted a Richer Sounds store - time for some window shopping for me. In the window they had a Denon AVR-X2800H. I was amazed by the size of it - about 4x the height of my current system & the current system has a Blu Ray player built in:eek:

So decision to take action resulted in a browse of Richer Sounds web site on a Friday evening and a “request for assistance“ email.
Response received on Saturday morning asking me for more info.
That evening there was a film on tv which I wanted to watch so for the first time in 6 months I thought I would try the old surround sound - it worked perfectly :dk:
I tried it again a week later & it worked perfectly again.
Richer Sounds advised & put on the back burner.

We don’t have a Richer Sounds nearby so haven’t visited a store for the necessary research.
Was in York yesterday and waiting for SWMBO in another store, spotted a Richer Sounds store - time for some window shopping for me. In the window they had a Denon AVR-X2800H. I was amazed by the size of it - about 4x the height of my current system & the current system has a Blu Ray player built in:eek:
First of all best wishes to you and your other half, I hope her treatment continues to be of benefit for her and that you are both able to enjoy the time you have together.

On the LG - Panasonic BTT590 surround sound dropping…

We have a Panasonic BTT240 (shares the same user guide with the 590 and 490 so may be quite similar) and connected to our main TV (also Panasonic), it was fine for years. About 18-months ago we wanted to have less cables and went with a Denon DHT-S416 soundbar and wireless sub (which works great*)

So, the Panasonic BTT was moved to our bedroom TV, an LG. We mostly use it for watching via a Sky Q box connected via an HDMI. We also now get intermittent surround sound drop outs like you have described.

Sometimes it corrects itself, sometimes it doesn’t. Changing channel on the Sky Q box and then back to what we were watching invariably makes the surround sound come back on.

I’ve been through all of the menus, settings, resets etc and have not resolved the problem. Seems to be some sort of basic incompatibility between our LG TV and the Panasonic BTT.

So I can’t offer a solution, but it does seem to perhaps be more of an unwelcome ‘feature’ than a fault.

Good luck.

*figuring out how to get the Dolby audio output from the Sky Q box to the soundbar via the Panasonic TV was a bit of a puzzle.

Update & probable resolution.
Yesterday I spent hours changing settings & cables with no success.
Ended up with a factory reset on the Panasonic SC-BTT590.
Suddenly it works as it should. No idea what setting has been changed by the reset but having wasted hours on this I'm happy to leave it as it is.

Maybe one day in the future I'll switch to a separate Blu-ray player & AV amp.

LG 65C24LA TV is fantastic - Richer Sounds £1549:banana:
When I changed to an LG 55" 4k OLED TV from a Samsung 42" HD plasma and connected up a foreign 4k internet TV box, we were blown away by the difference in the picture.

It's like comparing chalk and cheese. The Panasonic unit is a locked environment with bespoke speaker connections and very limited expansion. It does what it does quite well but there's little scope to step outside of its focused use case. The Denon is designed to work with everything and anything you might want to throw at it.

Inside the case is mostly fresh air, but 8 HDMI sockets, 7 pairs of banana plug connections and 7 pairs of phono jacks take up a fair amount of real estate on the back panel. Throw away 75% of those and suddenly the case can be much smaller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom