Problem with transmission from hybrid drive to motor, pls help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NIKSA

Car
Mercedes E320 Bluetec Hybrid 2012
When i start ignition, it stays on the electric drive and , it stays blocked on the hybrid drive until the battery runs out and the car stops (instead of switching to motor). Gauge that indicates battery level (power/charge)goes from green field straight up the top to red / "full" (?). Any idea what it might be? Thanks!

When i start ignition, it stays on the electric drive and , it stays blocked on the hybrid drive until the battery runs out and the car stops (instead of switching to motor). Gauge that indicates battery level (power/charge)goes from green field straight up the top to red / "full" (?). Any idea what it might be? Thanks!
If you do a search on here, you will find that the systems on these cars are horrendously complicated and even MB-trained techys struggle with them. Sadly you are out of warranty, but I would think your best bet would be to get it to an MB garage and get them to check the Codes on STAR. As others will tell you, though, it won't be a cheap repair.

Ernie

Thnx Ernie, I have no choices, I'll do that.... TBTW today my battery goes under 28% so now I even can not turn on the engine... Great.... Huh... BTW What does STAR stands for?

Thnx Ernie, I have no choices, I'll do that.... TBTW today my battery goes under 28% so now I even can not turn on the engine... Great.... Huh... BTW What does STAR stands for?
STAR is MB's standard computer-based diagnostic system which analyses the examined vehicle system-by-system recording codes that should hopefully point the technician in the direction of the fault. If need be, these codes can be further broken down to pin-point the exact area....at least, that's the theory; sometimes the practice can be different, but let's hope yours is straight forward and you get it sorted. Please let us know how you get on.

Ernie

ps: Welcome to the forum!

Thnx bro !

have you tried holding the key an extra time to start the engine ? the hybrid will be active when turning the key but if you hold the key for longer it should start the engine if that makes sense.

Try putting it in to sport mode once the system is live. That should start the engine and keep it running.

While the car can be started from rest using the electric drive train* [high voltage motor/generator] once moving it relies on a normal engine starting motor to start the IC engine. Perhaps there's a fault with that?
https://autotechnician.co.uk/vehicle-profile-mercedes-benz-e300-bluetec-hybrid-2012-2015/

* the car will also default to the conventional starting motor from rest if the hybrid battery voltage is low

Thanks Grober.
That's a very interesting article.

Can you please update me did you manage to fix the car and how much did that cost you ?

The OP hasn't been back since they originally posted, so it's unlikely you'll get a reply I'm afraid.

I have seen this issue a few times now. A new starter motor fixed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom