Problems after wheel alignment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Me thinks it is in the tyres....

I'm would be happy to be found to be wrong, i will even hold my hand high up in public knickers down and say so but this will not solve your complaint.

I could also pants on for paragraphs quoting geometric examples but this also will not solve your problem.

I keep trying to say to you the solution is outside of the chassis, a comment regarding fuel i will pay for and inspecting the external chassis for a solution would be free..... Other than that i'm done.

Tony - do bear in mind that the poster you quoted is not the OP - it's not his car - they have similar-ish forum name's - the OP is KLP92 not kth286

Update

Firstly my apologies for the delay in updating the thread, joys of working every hour under the sun!

The car has been back to WIM approx 2 weeks back now, was told the issue was with the tracking and adjustments were made.

the steering wheel position has improved, albeit marginally and still noticably off centre. Apart from this isssue the rest of the car drives perfect and everything else is within spec.

So the issue still remains, albeit slightly less. Steering wheel still down to the right when driving straight.

the problem definately 100% arised after the alignment was initially done, i'm particular about my cars and would have mentioned this to WIM when the car was dropped in. Anyone that drives the car comments about the steering wheel position so its not the case of its slight and i'm being picky.

Just remove the steering wheel and refit a couple of notches to the left. Problem solved !

cheers
talbir

Just remove the steering wheel and refit a couple of notches to the left. Problem solved !

cheers
talbir

Not quite as simple as that, the steering wheel is out by a couple of inches and moving the steering wheel would lead to incorrect data being supplied to the traction support system by the steering angle sensor.

It seems logical to me that if everything is in alignment that the ONLY thing adjusting the track control rods can do is change the position of the steering wheel. If left and right are adjusted exactly the same amount then the wheel straight ahead position will be moved (rotated) but surely absolutely nothing else will have changed on the vehicle alignment?

I really would like to understand why this is wrong?

I really do wish someone would answer this... any chance?

cheers
talbir

Cant do that. The steering wheel can't be moved otherwise you will damage the contact spiral and the settings for the steering angle sensor will be wrong.

I really do wish someone would answer this... any chance?

A very small adjustment equaly on both sides (1/8 of a turn or maybe less) used to be done in both the MB dealer and the Porsche dealer that I worked in and was considered perfectly ok to perfectly align the steering wheel.

Hmmm...this is all interesting reading.

I need to get the alignment done on mine and I am very tempted to email the previous owner of my (now sold) CL since I have no idea what he had done or where but that tracked straight as an arrow all the way up to the limiter.

Not quite as simple as that

hmmm, didn't think it would be...

Just read this whole thread. Odd that you would travel so far out of the way when you had a trusted outfit local.

Are you and Nav are absolutely sure that the steering was straight before this work was done ?

Sounds from WiM that they have done everything by the book and if printouts prove so, then steering not being straight is not really their problem to resolve. They are being generous to help though so well done to them.

A real shame that any garage gets named here with a problem, it's simply not fair on the garage as reputations can be harmed very quickly. It would be nicer to see individuals ask for techncal advice on an issue without naming the company involved.

cheers
talbir

A real shame that any garage gets named here with a problem, it's simply not fair on the garage as reputations can be harmed very quickly. It would be nicer to see individuals ask for techncal advice on an issue without naming the company involved.

cheers
talbir

This was the exact reason why i didn't mention any names in the original post, not my intention of naming and shaming, only stated the name once numerous suggestions were being made about taking the car to WIM.

WIM have gone out of their way to help with the problem and not once quibbled about rebooking the car in.

I don't think this will harm a business, its a technical issue albeit a puzzling one, i'm not saying that they shouldn't be used, if anything they have their reputation for a reason.

and Talbir you should know what i'm like, i would have noticed it, i had the car for 6 months prior, forum member aka$h drove the car before and after and noticed the position straight away.

and Talbir you should know what i'm like.

Errr, yeah, that's why i ask....:D j/k

Yep, agree, you didn't name originally, but the name did come out. It would have been good to find an answer without names.

hope all's well, long time no hear !

cheers
talbir

reputations can actually be enhanced by a good response to a customer problem.

It is the way that a company deals with a customer problems that sorts the men out from the boys - so well done WIM - but not quite there yet, it seems.

I really cannot see what the problem is when it seems that all is required is the small adjustment each side, to track rods as per BlackC55 in previous post.

I do that at home and it takes time, as you have to do a bit (each side) and then drive car, and do a bit more and drive car etc etc. The steering wheel will gradually end up in the correct position without affecting any existing settings in terms of the geometry.

I suspect the problem is that when the car is setup statically the wheel is set straight, but when being used dynamically the car has some pull to the left for whatever reason, so the wheel then has to be biassed to the right to make straight line progress.

KLP. What happens if you are on a genuinely flat road and if the camber runs off to the right instead of the left?

Last edited:
I've had the same problem on my W211 and the steering angle before and after alignment. Before, it pulled to the left by a few degrees, and after having it seen too twice, it now pulls slightly to the right - a bit more dangerous that the left I suppose. Next time I need new front tyres, I'll have the adjustment kit fitted too then have it realigned. Its a tiny thing, but really spoils the drive and feel.

I used Chemix in Stourbridge - the two guys there who looked at my car were excellent - really knew their stuff, and understood the set up of my car and other MBs. They diagnosed a very slight difference in wear on the front tyres, from inner to outer edge, could affect the set up and feel. They swapped them and were proved right, hence my decision to do the tyres/adjustment kit/alingment all together next time. They adjusted mine to the max without the extra adjustment kit fitted, so while it feels better now, its not how it should be.

No update on this Nav?

interested to see if you had this sorted out Nav?
Mine also has the same problem after the front camber was adjusted by WIM. will be going back to them soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom