problems reinstalling xp

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mercmanuk

MB Enthusiast
Car
C180 AVANTGARDE SE SPORT GONE AND MISSED LANDROVER FREELANDER 2 LET IT SNOW LET IT SNOW LET IT SNOW
ive formatted an old laptop,when i try and install a copy of xp i get to the point that it asks to tick the box to accept the licience then it loads for another 2 minutes then i get a blue screen saying windows installation has stopped to stop harm being caused to the pc.ive tried 2 genuine copies of xp .

help needed cheers all

According to this link it's likely to be caused by hardware or media problems.

Last edited:
That's pretty strange... I have been getting that a lot lately... Again numerous genuine disks then get knocked back when I'm 2/3rds through the installation...:wallbash:

I would recomend to try other windows xp instaliations download from torrents.. try something with SP3 and see if it works. If no windows instalation is working and ending with bluescreens, than some hardware in pc is malfuntioning. Then i would take some bootable diagnostic cd and try to run some tests.. format your hardrive as well - bad sectors can cause bluescreens.

Have you checked to see if the RAM hasn't worked it's way loose? I'd take it out and reseat it and see if that makes any difference...

no hardware changes,
xp origianlly installed
new hdd tried
new memory tried
loads upto licience agreement then blue screen appears

no hardware changes,
xp origianlly installed
new hdd tried
new memory tried
loads upto licience agreement then blue screen appears

do you mean it BSOD's after pressing F8 to agree to license, if so then thats when it starts the hardware detection / check, put hdd in another pc if poss and remove all partions and try again, if still fails then hardware fault else where.

I had a laptop working fine for year or two then powersocket went, fixed that, but thought I'd check the rest, HDD had a few bad sectors so I thought I'd try a new one (two now) during XP install's just turns off after the point of putting licese key in and wont go any further... faulty board

point is sometime's something will work ok untill you try to change something, and xp installed is ok but the installation is quite un-forgiving for minor faults

2 genuine xp discs will not load,loaded vista first time.odd

think its due to my xp discs are genuine but sp1 versions

For early XP, you might need to provide a SATA driver early in the CD boot when the prompt briefly appears (assuming the laptop disk is SATA...) - did you?

(VISTA has most of them bult in)

made xp pro with slipstream sp3 disc,the same.
could be the sata driver as its sata hdd i forgot about that

i'll try that

definitely h/w driver incompatibility problems...

solved,i think its because its fitted with a sata hdd and xp does not have the driver for this inbuilt,thats why vista works fine ,im trying to get the driver that is loaded from a floppy at the beginning of the xp installation by pressing f6 i think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom