Problems resetting my service indicator...reduces too fast?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

edgejedi

Car
ML270 CDI, 2003 Update
Yay! Im sat in the tesco car park waiting for er indoors to return and was incredibly bored so thought id continue my frustrated attempts to reset my service indicator....lo and behold on the fourth try...it reset to 13000 miles and one spanner! Car was serviced at an indie when i got it but hadnt been reset.

Now comes the interesting bit...my mileage is at 137148...so lets see how the indicator fairs in terms of its reduction over time from today. I really think its been whizzing through the numbers too fast, its not like i drive amazingly heavy or do so much driving at all really (i may be lying to myself of course...).

Could the type of oil used cause the service indicator to reduce dramatically?

Watch this space....:rock:

Or could it not have been serviced at all? I think the car can judge to an extent the condition of the oil. Makes you wonder?

I guess its all smoke n mirrors when buying non dealer...but the car seems to be a stunner all round right now (my fingers xd so far!!) with a decent mb history, hpi check and all those things and very clean...id have preferred less mileage but that the thing, swings and roundabouts.

Oil and liquids were all at the correct levels...what else visually could be checked so confirm a service? Im not so technical...sorry!

Could the type of oil used cause the service indicator to reduce dramatically?

Watch this space....:rock:
I can't be certain but I think the oil type used can be programmed into the service counter at the time of the service and this can affect how quickly the indicator counts down. ie fancy oil, longer countdown and so on.

Is the oil quality setting a 'star' thing or is there a simpler way round to check?

A vast number of things are used for assyst to calculate remaining run time, including:

Average journey time
maximum engine revs
max engine temp
avg engine temp
Avg engine load
oil quality
oil temp
Idle time.

All of these can affect the counter, its a shame they moved to fixed interval servicing, after all the work that went into the assyst + system!

Mileage servcie

Whilst on the post, my w203 was serviced last Feb 2010. Since then, 12 months later, the service indicator is saying service in 5500 miles with 2 spanners which I assume is a B service as the last was an A service. Is the service every 12 months or as above does it depends on the vehichcle, driving style etc. I do very few miles, less that 7000 in the poast 12 months.

Usually the vehicle tells you when it wants its next service. Sometimes it can be every 12 months, it really depends on your driving style.

Regards

dokalj

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom