Problems with auto box??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jukie

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
MY11 E350 CDi Avantgarde
I test drove a W reg (2000) C220CDi auto (5-speed tip) the other week. Whilst I was out in it, I booted it a couple of times to see what the kick-down response was like. On both occasions the engine revved madly for a second or two before the gears engaged any increased propulsion occurred. If the car had been a manual, I'd have sworn the clutch was slipping. Is this normal? I'm only used to petrol engines with the older 4-speed box and haven't had this "problem". Could it be some form of turbo lag? The car's done 120k and is ex-fleet but has a complete dealer history.

Any ideas, people?

Cheers,

Jukie.

That sounds exactly like mine and I've often thought it strange, it sounds like the clutch is slipping with the revs staying the same, yet the speed is increasing so there is no loss of acceleration.

When I hit the kick down on mime (W124) it is instantanious, frightenly instantanious. I was under the impression, rightly or wrongly, that that is what they were designed for. A lag to me seems not quite right. I wonder if this is a "normal" trait of the C220's?

Ian,

My current E320's kickdown response is instant, as was my old 300SE.

So I'm thinking iether a trait of a C220CDi auto or a problem with the box.

Any W reg C220CDi auto owners who can shed any light??

TVM.

Jukie,

That sounds like what happened to my E240 last year.
When it kicked down from 4th to 3rd, the engine revs up but speed picked up after a few seconds.

It turned out to be the MAS.

Had it replaced under the warranty and the kick down was much more instantaneous and smooth.

Hope this help.

David.

Originally posted by jukie1366
Ian,

My current E320's kickdown response is instant, as was my old 300SE.

So I'm thinking iether a trait of a C220CDi auto or a problem with the box.

Any W reg C220CDi auto owners who can shed any light??

TVM.

Kickdown on a diesel requires some forward planing. Its not quite as instant on the 220cdi as you might imagine. Once you place your foot in the carpet it does go , just takes a wee min to spin up.

Fuzzer,

Do the revs increase noticeably for a second before the gear engages, then?

Cheers,

Jukie

As I mentioned mine does something similar, its not that there is a delay in the kick down, just that it sounds like the clutch is slipping or its being held on the clutch when you accelerate and the revs don't increase, yet there is no loss of acceleration. I just assumed it was the torque converter doing weird things.

Originally posted by jukie1366
Fuzzer,

Do the revs increase noticeably for a second before the gear engages, then?

Cheers,

Jukie

I sold the C220 CDI about a year and a half ago , i can't really remember Jukie . I just remember the hesitation when you needed to move quickly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom