Problems with Outlook and Talktalk

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

E55BOF

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLS63 SB, SLK55, Cooper S, Triumph Sprint (Bike not Dolly...),
I'm having problems with my Outlook and the Talktalk/Tiscali (Tiscali email address) server. I'm using Windows 10. Trying to login to Outlook, I get the authentication box (over and over and over again...) and the Error 0x800CCC0E message - 'unable to synchronise subscribed folders' and 'cannot connect to the server'. Twice I also got the Error 0x800CCC92 - 'server rejected login' message. I have no problems at all logging in via Talktalk Webmail. I can access everything in my Outlook already, but haven't been able to connect to the server for over a fortnight.

I did a Google search when the problem first started, and found a post saying "Same old crap, here we go again, just have to wait till they get their act together". That was over two weeks ago, though, and I'd have thought they would have sorted it out by now. I've tried ringing the complaints number; I give up after three-quarters of an hour with no reply...

Does anybody have any ideas? Could the problem be at my end?

I had this earlier this year although my ISP is SKY. Again, I could access my emails via Sky webmail, but got similar (or the same) error messages.
I resolved it by deleting my email account, then reinstalling it. If you try this route, save any emails of importance or you'll lose them all in Outlook when you delete your account.

Hmmm, never heard anyone have a good word for TalkTalk ever since they started up.

I don't have problems normally - only ever hear bad stuff, not good stuff! A lot of issues are down to the fact that a single company has to be relied on for infrastructure. I did have an issue last year where some scrotes ran their car into our telegraph pole - again had to wait for OpenReach to install a new one. Yes, support not great if you do have an issue but that is reflected that in most cases they are cheaper than anyone else. Ya pays yer money!

TBH, I'd gradually migrate away from email addresses like Tiscali, Dial, Freeserve etc. They used to be state-of-the-art but been overtaken by hotmail/outlook/gmail etc. Also you are not tied to a provider

I've been with first Tiscali, then Talktalk since they took them over, since I first went online donkeys years ago, and never had any problem with them. Maybe I've been lucky - until now...

I've been with first Tiscali, then Talktalk since they took them over, since I first went online donkeys years ago, and never had any problem with them. Maybe I've been lucky - until now...

The tech used for Tiscali etc. email is difficult to support now. The people who knew it are either retired or dead! I moved from a Dial account I had for a long time and it took about a year - well worth doing. One advantage is you can give the address to only the people you want!

Didn't Tiscali get withdrawn last month?

No. See below.

The tech used for Tiscali etc. email is difficult to support now. The people who knew it are either retired or dead! I moved from a Dial account I had for a long time and it took about a year - well worth doing. One advantage is you can give the address to only the people you want!

Tiscali as an ISP is long gone. Only the email addresses remain active, hence I can still access all my messages online on the Talktalk servers via Talktalk Webmail. I'd quite happily set up a new Outlook account with Talktalk, but I want to retain my email address and all my emails. Once I work out how to do that, all will be well...

No. See below.

Tiscali as an ISP is long gone. Only the email addresses remain active, hence I can still access all my messages online on the Talktalk servers via Talktalk Webmail. I'd quite happily set up a new Outlook account with Talktalk, but I want to retain my email address and all my emails. Once I work out how to do that, all will be well...
Something has changed with tiscali, they have been sending me emails for months about my account, maybe they wanted me to pay to continue or something. Whatever, they have eventually closed it down and I no longer receive emails forwarded from them.

No. See below.

If they are using a 21st-century email platform then all your emails are held on the server and it will be safe to delete your outlook account and re-enter your details.

It wouldn't surprise me if they are still using IMAP which is medieval and will force you to have your email backed up.

Something has changed with tiscali, they have been sending me emails for months about my account, maybe they wanted me to pay to continue or something. Whatever, they have eventually closed it down and I no longer receive emails forwarded from them.

I had a number of system-generated emails from TalkTalk a while back telling me that I'd have to pay to keep my Tiscali email address if I didn't have a TalkTalk account. I eventually contacted them to point out that I did have a Talktalk account, and was told just to ignore the emails. I received a couple more, then they stopped coming. That was months ago, though, and I've had no problems until now.

The server address is smtp.tiscali.co.uk; does that give any clue as to whether it's using IMAP?

I guess the only thing to do is try to contact them and tell them the problem, and ask them to sort it out. If they can, fine; if not, they've lost a customer.

I had a number of system-generated emails from TalkTalk a while back telling me that I'd have to pay to keep my Tiscali email address if I didn't have a TalkTalk account. I eventually contacted them to point out that I did have a Talktalk account, and was told just to ignore the emails. I received a couple more, then they stopped coming. That was months ago, though, and I've had no problems until now.

I guess the only thing to do is try to contact them and tell them the problem, and ask them to sort it out. If they can, fine; if not, they've lost a customer.
It sounds very much like they have closed down your account in the same way as I allowed mine to be.

Well i have been held over a barrel .My monthly subscription is £27 .Now i dont have anything else with TalTalk just my broadband . I keep telling my self to close them down and go for another provider . Any ideas ?

"It sounds very much like they have closed down your account in the same way as I allowed mine to be."

I don't think so. The problem seems to be getting the server to connect through Outlook, but it's all still there on Webmail, with the same email address as before, and the error message states it cannot connect to the server, not that the account is closed or does not exist.

Last edited:
Well i have been held over a barrel .My monthly subscription is £27 .Now i dont have anything else with TalTalk just my broadband . I keep telling my self to close them down and go for another provider . Any ideas ?

No provider really wants just broadband any more. If you can change your number (you may be able to keep the number, but on a lot of these legacy installs you can't) I'd switch to Fibre if it is available for you. TBH all the companies are much of a muchness - great at taking your money, not so great at resolving issues. (BT have a larger actual percentage of complaints than TalkTalk. Well that was true 2 years ago) If you are in one of the very marginal areas for speed your options are pretty limited

As for the Tiscali issue I am confident it will just get worse. Mainly old technology plus they don't make money from it - in fact it runs at a loss. I think IMAP can be used but again, you really may need to resign yourself to changing email addresses. Another advantage of that BTW is you never need to feel tied to a specific ISP

STOP PRESS: Something may be happening...

I just tried to login again, and the authentication box showed the server address as imap, not smtp. This may be a good sign, but I'm not holding my breath.

The server address is smtp.tiscali.co.uk; does that give any clue as to whether it's using IMAP?
That's the outgoing mail server, so it doesn't give any clues as to whether your Outlook account is set up as IMAP or POP3.

The second post in this thread Tiscali Emails not Sending or Receiving ? includes a list of the incoming and outgoing email settings that will be relevant to you.

Most likely, it's a back-end server problem at TalkTalk rather than an issue with your installation - unless you've changed something.

As an experiment I have just logged into my Tiscali email and it's still there!

That's the outgoing mail server, so it doesn't give any clues as to whether your Outlook account is set up as IMAP or POP3.

The second post in this thread Tiscali Emails not Sending or Receiving ? includes a list of the incoming and outgoing email settings that will be relevant to you.

Most likely, it's a back-end server problem at TalkTalk rather than an issue with your installation - unless you've changed something.

Isn't Windows 10 f*****g WONDERFUL? I can't even FIND the basic settings, let alone change them!!!! I'm thinking of changing the email account password, just to see if that fixes the problem, but if I can log in directly to my webmail, does that indicate that my password has not become corrupted?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom