Probs with 3G iphone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tudu

MB Enthusiast
Car
05 C200K Sport Edition (Kleemann)
Since switching to the 3G iphone with the new software update, with HFP cradle the signal strength indicator displayed on comand only shows 3 bars plus when talking and receiving a call the volume is really low even though i have volume set at highest level.

I suppose my question is, should my iphone be set o 3G while in the car, as when switched back to normal O2 setting everything seems to work okay.

I think you answered your own question there tudu!

Can the iPhone be set to dual mode? i.e. the phone switches to the strongest signal?

Either way, from what I remember MB systems don't support 3G

iPhone is connecting with BT HF profile to the car, the car should not be aware in this case if the phone is connecting through GSM, 3G, Wimax, WLAN or what ever you can make supporting phone calls.

The phone itself may have a bug and set audio differently for 3G only versus dual mode.

But did the OP actually set iPhone to "3G only mode" in the car? It would most often get a worse signal that way as 3G coverage is not as good as GSM. The phone may start gradually muting the audio too if the signal is too low. Changing to "O2 normal" should mean "dual mode" when the phone likely switches to GSM in the car. Note that you get some additional attenuation in the car when the car antenna is not used in BT HF mode. Even if you were using the iPhone docking station, the antenna coupling at the cradle is not equally good as the galvanic connection with a true cradle or a BT SAP adapter.

iPhone is connecting with BT HF profile to the car, the car should not be aware in this case if the phone is connecting through GSM, 3G, Wimax, WLAN or what ever you can make supporting phone calls.

The phone itself may have a bug and set audio differently for 3G only versus dual mode.

But did the OP actually set iPhone to "3G only mode" in the car? It would most often get a worse signal that way as 3G coverage is not as good as GSM. The phone may start gradually muting the audio too if the signal is too low. Changing to "O2 normal" should mean "dual mode" when the phone likely switches to GSM in the car. Note that you get some additional attenuation in the car when the car antenna is not used in BT HF mode. Even if you were using the iPhone docking station, the antenna coupling at the cradle is not equally good as the galvanic connection with a true cradle or a BT SAP adapter.

Thanks. The iphone can be set to 3G manually, which is what i did. I have since switched it back to normal 02 mode and it works okay in the car i.e. strong signal volume okay. As stated guess 3G not supported by MB phone system.

Theres a new update this week - may help??

Theres a new update this week - may help??

How would a SW update improve signal strength? Radio sensitivity is a HW issue, of course the user interface may show what ever it wants but the reception would not improve there.

Thanks. The iphone can be set to 3G manually, which is what i did. I have since switched it back to normal 02 mode and it works okay in the car i.e. strong signal volume okay. As stated guess 3G not supported by MB phone system.

The BT SAP device does not support 3G. You cannot be using the BT SAP adapter with an iPhone, the difference in behaviour cannot have anything to do with the MB phone system support (iPhone on the cradle could suffer from the car antenna gain on 2.1 GHz on older cars, not on new ones). With the BT HF adapter the car is not aware of you using 3G or something else.

How would a SW update improve signal strength? Radio sensitivity is a HW issue, of course the user interface may show what ever it wants but the reception would not improve there.

Are you serious? :crazy: Do you seriously want me to answer that or was it a rhetorical question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom