Producer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ibrar

Car
55 plate LWB Sprinter and soon to be C220 AMG Sport Plus
I receieved a producer from the policer after a routine stop. Anywho police protocol followed and because I didn't have any of my insurance of M.O.T. documentation on me they follwed it up with a producer, even though they had all the information to hand.

Here goes, as I was about to leave the house to head down to the police station, I double checked my M.O.T. certificate and found out it expired 3 weeks ago. What do you think I should do from here, and the consequences I shall come across for having an expired M.O.T.??

There is nothing you can do ,its all on the Computer,,it was possible to get back dated ones some time ago but no longer.

Its a minor thing and probably nothing will happen

You should just be very honest with them an explain that you weren't aware of the overdue M.O.T. and hopefully they'll just warn you to go do it asap. Its not a major issue, sinec you aint driving a complete banger i dont think.

Get a normal MOT done anyway and take that along with the expired one and try your luck out and you may be able to get away with it with the person on the desk (this person will not be a PC) OR if the throw the book at you then say at the time of the officer pulling you you were on your way to MOT station if it was during the day blah blah etc. (get a garage to back up your version of events). If you are confident and have gift of the gab then you will get away with it!

Last edited:
I would guess the actions that may follow will be related to why they chose to stop you in the first place..When you say a routine stop, were there any reason they stopped you rather than any other car? Were there for example obvious defects on your car?
We can only guess what will happen, the best thing is to go down your police station and see what happens, delaying it won't change anything and will only leave you worrying longer than you need to

Its not a major issue, sinec you aint driving a complete banger i dont think.
The only official way to tell a "complete banger" from a legit car is on the day of the MOT! My car failed it's MOT for a load of things last time that might have considered it a "complete banger" but it certainly didn't look like one!
Is insurance invalid without a current MoT?
No, your insurance is not specifically invalid without MOT.

If it were me I'd have the car MOT'd ASAP and take the new one with you. They just look at the docs and tick some boxes on their own paperwork. If you are asked for an MOT to cover the earlier period you could tell them any old story I suppose, you have presented documents at their request that are valid on the day you presented them - I think that's all that's required.

Good luck with the paperwork! :)

The only official way to tell a "complete banger" from a legit car is on the day of the MOT! My car failed it's MOT for a load of things last time that might have considered it a "complete banger" but it certainly didn't look like one!

No, your insurance is not specifically invalid without MOT.

If it were me I'd have the car MOT'd ASAP and take the new one with you. They just look at the docs and tick some boxes on their own paperwork. If you are asked for an MOT to cover the earlier period you could tell them any old story I suppose, you have presented documents at their request that are valid on the day you presented them - I think that's all that's required.

Agree: I would just present the new MOT certificate and there is no way that the person at the desk will be bothered to try and check the expiry of the last certificate as lets face it they are not bright sparks and have a load of paper work to be doing anyway and taking statements when people report incidents etc. They may not even be able to check the expirt of the last MOT certificate when a new one is issued for all we know.

Dont lie to the Police. Its not worth it and they have second sense and can smell a fib at 100 yards. Honesty is the only policy.

Dont lie to the Police. Its not worth it and they have second sense and can smell a fib at 100 yards. Honesty is the only policy.
Don't lie to the police! At the same time, it is probably wise in this situation to say as little as possible and hand over the (hopefully now valid) documents. Unless they ask you questions about it I'd keep quiet. With any luck, the boxes will be ticked and you'll hear nothing about it again.

Also, write down your MOT dates for next time! :)

I worry about MoT expiry - tax, nice reminder, insurance, nice reminder. Even servicing I get a text and an email; as for fuel, a light comes on!

Only things I worry about are watching my tyres and forgetting when the MoT runs out, even though I have a handy sticker now in the car, printed off the new MoT certificate. But I can't remember where I stuck it

I don't like excess unnecessary stickers etc in or on any window in my car, I really don't like the MOT reminder stickers, they annoy me, maybe I'm just a bit pedantic! :D

Last edited:
I don't like excess unnecessary stickers etc in or on any window in my car, I really don't like the MOT reminder stickers, they annoy me, maybe I'm just a bit pedantic! :D

I can just see the corner of mine where it came unstuck and has now dropped between the screen and dashboard:crazy:

Agree: I would just present the new MOT certificate and there is no way that the person at the desk will be bothered to try and check the expiry of the last certificate as lets face it they are not bright sparks and have a load of paper work to be doing anyway and taking statements when people report incidents etc. They may not even be able to check the expirt of the last MOT certificate when a new one is issued for all we know.

Flash might be right of course.

I would suggest - you get you car MOT'd today and take the docs in PDQ. They are well aware that folks who don't have MOTs get their cars tested straight after being given a document producer and it is one of the things they check for routinely.
Flash's bit about when the last MOT Cert expired is of course a red herring - that means nothing to anyone - the offence you committed was driving the car on the road on the day you were stopped without a valid MOT Cert.

Expect a summons, you are likely to be able to plea by post (personally I wouldn't, I would explain the error, take in a wad of consecutive old MOTs and the new one you got as soon as the error was realised). That way you admit your error but show you are honest.

Integrity is not negotiable, nor are there degrees of honesty. You either are, or you aren't. And whilst I may not care what a Magistrate thinks, I know I set high standards for myself....

:eek:

Is insurance invalid without a current MoT?
No, it depends on the car being kept in a roadworthy condition. So a bald tyre (for example) could invalidate your policy regardless of whether the car has (or needs) an MOT.

I think your car has to be legal on the road for the insurance to be valid.
That means Tax and MOT

I've just read my T&C for DirectLine - it states road worthy, but not specifically MoT, unless I missed it. Not sure how it works in practice, insurance-wise.

As for the Police view, just go and be honest, as Swiss states a wad of previous certificates will be useful

I think your car has to be legal on the road for the insurance to be valid.
That means Tax and MOT
The answer is to check your policy wording (as Robert has done), but I don't think you will see "legal" mentioned as the tiniest infringement (no maker's name on the numberplate, for example) would mean no insurance ... which would be daft.

The car is totally roadworthy, except the odd bulb which is very typical on a W202. Other than that it should fly through all the other sections as it has recently had new disks, pads, and rear tyres

I receieved a producer from the policer after a routine stop. Anywho police protocol followed and because I didn't have any of my insurance of M.O.T. documentation on me they follwed it up with a producer, even though they had all the information to hand.

Here goes, as I was about to leave the house to head down to the police station, I double checked my M.O.T. certificate and found out it expired 3 weeks ago. What do you think I should do from here, and the consequences I shall come across for having an expired M.O.T.??

I do beleive you have 2 weeks to produce. Get the car MoT'd and show the new MoT to the police. They will probably not spot thet the commence date is after the producer issue:devil: they are usually only interested in the expire date, take the old one though, just in case. By the way, I had my car MoT's yesterday, only 3 months late:eek: :p :eek: still, all legal now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom