Professional Carpet Cleaning - House

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

developer

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Volvo V90 D5 AWD
Have any of you used one of these professional carpet cleaning companies that are advertised - Chem Dry and the like.

My lounge carpet is looking a little grubby in the traffic areas and though my mum used to have hers steam cleaned some years ago I wondered what the latest tech was and whether it's any good?

The carpet is 80/20 needlepoint and in cream (not necessarily the best colour choice :crazy:).

Never used the professionals. Before we sold our last house, carpets again were quite grubby especially in circulation areas. We just hired a Rug Doctor from a local hardware store and did the job ourselves. We were quite impressed by the results - used their recommended cleaning fluid, and the carpets were virtually dry after the machine had been over them. Embarrassing amounts of muck and grime were extracted, even from carpets we thought were 'clean'....and whilst the worst soiled areas still couldn't claim to be as new afterwards, it was pretty good.

We have used Servicemaster a couple of times and they definitely breathed life into our tired sitting room carpet.

Was talking to SHMBO only this weekend about getting them back to do the carpets upstairs.

I've been told that doing it yourself is pretty tough physical work.

Last edited:
I've got a wet n dry George that brings our carpets up beautifully and with three children, it certainly sees its fair share of work.

I got sick of paying £30s & £40s here and there for carpet cleaning, this cost me about £200 and then you need the cleaning solution, although it did come with a litre when I bought it.

I was once told by a carpet fitter that if a majority wool carpet gets too wet it may shrink on drying so if the carpet is a tight fit then be careful

I've got a wet n dry George that brings our carpets up beautifully and with three children, it certainly sees its fair share of work.

I got sick of paying £30s & £40s here and there for carpet cleaning, this cost me about £200 and then you need the cleaning solution, although it did come with a litre when I bought it.

We've got a relatively new large Vax upright wet and dry cleaner and whilst it's ok for basics we find that it's not enough to bring the main lounge carpet up to scratch.

I was once told by a carpet fitter that if a majority wool carpet gets too wet it may shrink on drying so if the carpet is a tight fit then be careful

Thanks, I'll look into this.

Nobody has mentioned ChemDry yet, which, I think, is a less wet process.

We've got a relatively new large Vax upright wet and dry cleaner and whilst it's ok for basics we find that it's not enough to bring the main lounge carpet up to scratch.
We used to have a Vax wet & dry, it was pony compared to the George.

I'd give the Vax 2/10 and the George 9/10. :thumb:

We used to have a Vax wet & dry, it was pony compared to the George.

I'd give the Vax 2/10 and the George 9/10. :thumb:

Ours is a specific carpet washer but it's still not a lot of good....

vax.jpg

We used a Rug Doctor in our last house before we sold for high-traffic stainage (8 years basically) and it worked really well - even shifted cat wee!

The colour of the water being poured away down the toilet was interesting.

In this house, it does well on our lounge carpet, but some of the cat puke stains remain.

This will probably require steam cleaning or a professional outfit.

I don't find the Rug Doctor hard work at all though and it is quite satisfying to use - you have to use their detergants but it works out about £50 or there abouts.

We did buy a carpet cleaner a while ago but it is not as good and you have to store it somewhere. That one (Karcher) was better at cleaning off kid puke off car seats and that sort of thing.

Thanks, I'll look into this.

Nobody has mentioned ChemDry yet, which, I think, is a less wet process.

I have used Chem Dry and the results were good. I like them because they do not use detergent. I think soap tends to make carpets get dirty again quickly, because it is really difficult to fully lift it.

We've always had a Bissell of some description. Carpets are routinely deep cleaned, not a great chore, just like using a vacuum cleaner!

Have any of you used one of these professional carpet cleaning companies that are advertised - Chem Dry and the like.

My lounge carpet is looking a little grubby in the traffic areas and though my mum used to have hers steam cleaned some years ago I wondered what the latest tech was and whether it's any good?

The carpet is 80/20 needlepoint and in cream (not necessarily the best colour choice :crazy:).

Chem dry are a Franchise that deals with a lot of insurance work, quality work unless he is having a bad day but not cheap so unless you have cash to burn and the carpets are special then not always the best option.

Rug doctor Bessel etc great if you have synthetic carpets and kids, hard work and you never clean them fully unless you are doing it regularly but then that's a bad thing , fabric wet over and over again will become bald and **** from the underlay will eventually seep through.

professional carpet cleaner should cost anything from 20-30 per room but want you want is someone who will vacuum thoroughly per spray and brush and then deep clean them using a decent % of chemicals in the hot water.

What you want is someone who has a decent machine (a machine that cannot fit into a car) and follows the procedures that I have mentioned for the price that I have mentioned.:thumb:

Chem dry are a Franchise that deals with a lot of insurance work, quality work unless he is having a bad day but not cheap so unless you have cash to burn and the carpets are special then not always the best option.

Rug doctor Bessel etc great if you have synthetic carpets and kids, hard work and you never clean them fully unless you are doing it regularly but then that's a bad thing , fabric wet over and over again will become bald and **** from the underlay will eventually seep through.

professional carpet cleaner should cost anything from 20-30 per room but want you want is someone who will vacuum thoroughly per spray and brush and then deep clean them using a decent % of chemicals in the hot water.

What you want is someone who has a decent machine (a machine that cannot fit into a car) and follows the procedures that I have mentioned for the price that I have mentioned.:thumb:

Thanks for this - it's a sizeable carpet and cost a few quid, so I'd like to give it a decent chance.

Not my experience at all. We have wool carpets and have routinely cleaned them with a Bissell. No loss of fibres, carpet comes back thick and springy. Carpets are light cream colour, hence the purchase of a new cleaner every 3-4yrs! :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom