Professional help needed(Gearbox problem)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SSBB

Car
E320cdi Avantgard Estate
Evening,
Following an issue with 'thumping' into gears, I removed the Gearbox valve body from my C220 cdi ('03). One valve at a time, I cleaned it with contact cleaner. All springs were OK, none broken so they were put back exactly where they came from. Each solenoid was removed, again one at a time, cleaned and put back. Likewise, the contact plate. Solenoids were all reading 8 ohms.

I now have a completely different issue:wallbash:

Firstly, the engine warning (little pic of engine) is on, Secondly, the C/S switch no longer works (stuck in S), and then when selecting drive or reverse it goes in with a huge thump and the car lurches forward or backwards.
I also only have first gear.:dk:

I thought it might be the ECU, so disconnected battery, one hour later, no gears AT ALL...nothing. Had some dinner and headache pills, and then tried again, back to the first issue. Only have first gear and goes in with a mighty thump.

Any Ideas....Pleeeease, does the valve body need to 'Bleed itself', how to get the engine light off?

I dont understand why so many issues....the valve body is very simple to remove and is not complicated in itself.

Regards
Shane

When you removed the large electric plug on the side of the 'box (the one with the 'lock' tab) did atf fluid drip from the connector?.........it should be totally dry..............if fluid leaked out it means the seals on the plug connector have leaked and it is a known occurence where the the atf can then migrate up inside the loom and fill the transmission control unit (located inside the car under the centre console) with fluid causing gremlins such as you describe.

There are many possible reasons for your issues, another thing to look at is the 'maf', try unplugging it to see if any difference.

Last edited:
I see your in North Warwickshire, if you fail to resolve it yourself you could try speaking to Transmisson Technology in Knowle (does nothing but auto gearboxes). Told me what was most likely wrong with my gearbox over the phone, I took it in, he was right, unfortunately it wasn't cheap to fix. So, if you can't fix yourself..I'm sure they can.

I see your in North Warwickshire, if you fail to resolve it yourself you could try speaking to Transmisson Technology in Knowle (does nothing but auto gearboxes). Told me what was most likely wrong with my gearbox over the phone, I took it in, he was right, unfortunately it wasn't cheap to fix. So, if you can't fix yourself..I'm sure they can.

I had a car at Transmission Technology just lat week.. Very very good service and he didnt charge me a penny for a weeks work as he couldnt get to the bottom of it... Car is now with VM Transmission Products in Cannock.

I still think your fault is more simple (oil in ecu) though!

Any Ideas....Pleeeease, does the valve body need to 'Bleed itself', how to get the engine light off?

No, it does'nt..........First port of call is get the trouble codes. This will give you a starting point, either that or you go back over everything again :crazy:

Hi all,
thanks for your replies, Ive been away for a few days so sorry for not replying. I ended up driving the car (in limp home mode) to local MB main dealer. Its had a new pressure control solenoid, speed sensors (on the control plate) and a shift solenoid.
complete flush through and new ATF. All seems well now (£500 later).

They told me this is very common on these cars!!!!

yes the speed plate is a very common failure...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom