Professional vinyl to CD conversion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jukie

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
MY11 E350 CDi Avantgarde
Anyone on here do it? Or can anyone recommend a company? (I'm not counting USB turntable in the study as professional!! lol)

TIA, David.

I do it by running my turntable via a mixer into a proper CD cutter, not the PC.

It can be quite time consuming.

Last edited:
I have done a few myself using a phono to line converter unit but soon got bored.

Talking of phone pre-amps, does anyone have a recommendation for connection to a modern amp, without phono in.
I've had two and the first suffered with hum and the second doesn't have enough gain so the volume has to be run flat out for a decent listening volume.

Sorry, I should have asked: Are you running a moving magnet or a moving coil cartridge? If it's a low output moving coil then the Trichord is probably a better bet in terms of price/performance than the Slee preamps.

As Raymont says, do it yourself, it is long winded and you will need to stop recording between tracks and restart so you can skip tracks when transfering to CD and you can then label up the individual tracks. If you do it through your PC, you will need some software, there are quite a few about. I have, in the past, used Real Jukebox, but I notice that vinyl to CD function, you now have to pay for:( You can also use Sound Recorder on your PC and it stores it in Windows Media Player.

I looked at this some time ago and worked out to get my Vinyl collection onto CD or digital would take 3 years continously!!!!!!!!!! So not really an option, as my collection was catalouged I chose the ones that were most important to me and then a friend in the business pointed me in the direction of a website that for a small monthly fee you could download any music ever recorded, so I simply downloaded the ones that were important and I'm now working my way through the rest of the collection, beauty of this method is you can set them up to download automatically while you are at work or through the night. Not sure it's strictly legal and I think it may be in a bit of a grey area but as they charge maybe it is?

As Raymont says, do it yourself, it is long winded and you will need to stop recording between tracks and restart so you can skip tracks when transfering to CD and you can then label up the individual tracks. If you do it through your PC, you will need some software, there are quite a few about. I have, in the past, used Real Jukebox, but I notice that vinyl to CD function, you now have to pay for:( You can also use Sound Recorder on your PC and it stores it in Windows Media Player.

The software that came with the product has a facility, if you you record one side of an lp as one file, to analyse the file and break it into the separate tracks.

Not always completely successful but also has capabilty to analyse the file and separate individual tracks by hand.

Easy way to do this is to get hold of a NAD C660 CD Copier machine (or similar). This will produce CD's of a far better quality than commercially available CD's. My son has one in his studio and I can vouch for its quality.
And all you have to do is plug in your deck via your amp as it had a built in analogue/digital decoder. Only downside is you need to use "Music CDR" discs. These are not the same as ordinary PC CDR discs and are a tad more expensive. Recorded discs are playable on any CD or PC player.
How much vinyl do you need to convert?

BTW......most popular, non-comercial PC software conversion programs have a maximum bitrate of 192kb/s. You must make sure you get 360kb/s if you are converting to MP3 format. The NAD machine converts directly to a "no-loss" audio format and is not MP3. To derive MP3 files from these discs you will need to rip and burn the disc in a PC.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom