Programming after a radar sensor change

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

design4p

Car
Mercedes GLC
Hi,

Is it true that if a faulty Sensor is replaced with a new sensor (Say a Radar Sensor) does the system needs to be programmed or will the system work straight away.

John

I am not sure what is meant by 'programmed', but they do need to be calibrated on the car using a special tool. See for example:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Hi,

Thank you for your assistance - In my case the garage says the Radar Sensor is the fault. This would not have any physical screw adjustments on the unit - It would slide into a pocket location. The garage said that if I did the job myself the unit would need programming - meaning I would still need the garage to do the programming. This may have been an attempt for the garage to try an persuade me to have them do the job.

John

Have you seen how inaccessible the two front bumper mounted radar sensors are on the GLC? Ridiculous I would say, requiring front end off..
..pointing to disassembly and reassembly by a competent mechanic.
Only the distronic unit is easily reachable by twisting the star off anti-clockwise.

Hi Regbuster,

Thank you for your reply - I thought the central radar sensor is for the distance lane keeping and the 2 radar sensors either side was for close distance. I didn't think there was a dedicated unit for Distronic, but I am open to be corrected.

Because the garage says the front nearside radar sensor is faulty and I logically believe that the 'Active Blind Spot Assist' is controlled by a radar sensor at the Rear of the vehicle - I am reluctant to pay £670 for the garage to replace the front nearside radar sensor only to find that I also need a rear radar sensor.

What is the conclusion to my faults! I have these error messages - Active Blind Spot Assist Inoperable and Active Lane Keeping Assist Inoperable, along with PRE-SAFE functions limited see owners manual.

Any comments most welcome.

John

Yes it needs 'Initial Startup' doing - this will install the latest firmware and then configure the sensor for your car. The same sensor used in multiple cars so it needs coding for the GLC.

You need a proper 'Online Xentry Diagnosis' system to do this and not a clone as it gets and sends info from/to Mercedes. That means a Mercedes dealer or a very few independents (including comand.co.uk )

If you are buying used, some of the ECUs in a car are VIN locked so can't be used. This includes the blind-spot radars in the rear bumper for instance and the instrument cluster, the ignition switch, airbag module, etc) - there is no published list of what is and what isn't.

Cheers
Richard

Hi

Thank you Richard for the information - However, not really what I wanted to hear. I don't like being tied to a garage for a fault to be fixed - I am a DIY person and like to repair for a fraction of the cost - Might Have to bite the bullet here though.

I have now booked the car into my Mercedes dealer for a fault diagnosis of the car. At least I should know the actual fault problem.

John

I just hope they give you more detail than I was able to prise.
Not impressed with MB MK after they obviously hasn't touched anything (dust still on connectors and faces of sensors),
before decreeing that the loom needed replacement.
Booked into a decent independent auto electrician next week.

One thing to try:
See if park assist works for both nearside and offside parking scenarios.
If it does then your 4 radar sensors are working.

Hi

Good idea - Will check the Park Assist next trip.

Regards John

I just hope they give you more detail than I was able to prise.
Not impressed with MB MK after they obviously hasn't touched anything (dust still on connectors and faces of sensors),
before decreeing that the loom needed replacement.
Booked into a decent independent auto electrician next week.
I wouldn't touch MB MK with someone else's barge pole. Horrible dealership, horrible sales team, so I dread to think what their service department is like.
That's my experience, others may have better.

Hi RegBuser,

Now checked the Park Assist. The nearside works fine. The offside appears not to work. When driving slowly looking for a parking space to the right with the "P" displayed on screen no triangle (arrow) shows indicating a offside (right) parking space (even though there is one available).

I have tried all the parking sensors (and they all work) they indicate and alarm me of an obstruction both front and back and offside and near side.

So would you say the fault is a radar sensor on the offside.

I have distonic Plus Any assistance would be most welcome.

Regards John

Did you read the link?
As BSA predominantly uses rear radar, and LKA uses front, rear and camera, and Distronic uses multimode front radar plus camera, then the common point could be the relevant SAM or radar control unit - SGR
Have you checked the fuses in the boot?

Doesn't the offside park assist only work if the rh indicator is on??

Hi Regbuser and ToeKnee,

Thank you for your assistance - I have now read the link - very very informative.

The latest situation is that I have been able to test the Park Assist (now know these are Ultrasonic sensors not Radar sensors) and they both work left and right. (I live in the countryside and rarely come across street parking).

The strange thing is the error - Active Lane Keeping inoperable - has disappeared - Which good news

I now have these error messages on my screen - Distonic plus Inoperable, Active Blind Spot Assist and PRE-SAFE functions limited see owners manual.

Fuses look OK.

I am thinking the same maybe the relevant SAM or radar control unit - SGR

Can you get to the SGR from inside the boot?

I appreciate you assistance - Regards John

So does anyone know whereabouts the SGR module is located on the X253?

Hi everyone,

Job done - Main dealer Llandudno North Wales £603 Left Front Radar sensor - Pleased with the outcome as I really miss the Distronic Plus features.

Thank you for all the assistance and advice - A brilliant service from fellow Merc owners.

Regards John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom