Project 190E

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stwat

MB Enthusiast
Car
1989 W126 300 SE
I just thought i'd post about a little project I now have on the go. The car was generously given to me by Bren who owns Wunderpartz.Mercedes, Diesel Leak Off items in wunderpartz store on eBay!
He bought it from a fellow member on mercedes-190.co.uk, for the Cosworth interior and other bits and pieces.

The car is a 1992 1.8l manual with lots of MOT. The plan is to get it running(I got on with that as soon as I got it home. It needed the fuse box re fitting and many of the earths re attaching) get an interior(the cars previous owner has generously offered me the cars original seats grattis ) and then decide what to do with the bodywork.
The car has had a wrap in matt black but the off side rear door and rear wing have been peeled off. Sadly some large pieces of paint came away on the rear wing whilst removing the wrap. I may simply spray it matt black, along with the boot lid which has been replaced with a silver one.

Picked the car up from Bren at Doncaster last week. Many thanks for the tea and sarnies Mr and Mrs franey Just a few pictures to get the thread going.

DSC_0070.jpg

DSC_0071.jpg

Bloody tailgaters :lol:
DSC_0073.jpg

Back home.
DSC_0074.jpg

DSC_0075.jpg

Last edited:
Some interior shots. Not for the faint hearted.

DSC_0076.jpg

DSC_0077.jpg

DSC_0080.jpg

DSC_0085.jpg

DSC_0086.jpg

DSC_0084.jpg

DSC_0082.jpg

Am I correct in thinking this is a 16 valve console?
DSC_0079.jpg

The first job was to try and get the car running. Everything had been disconnected from the fusebox. All the connectors and all the earths. I never knew there were so many earths !! As you can see from the pictures, the wiring was, er, interesting to say the least I hate wiring. I hated it before but after trying to sort that lot out, I hate with even more venom now.

After lots of wire tracing, earth wires searching, bolting earths and plugging in connectors whilst laying on my back under the dash(bloody painful that is ) I turned the key and boom, she fired straight up

Jeez, this stainless exhaust is stupidly loud!! I don't think I could live with it to be honest. Not now I've turned 40 :eek::D

It was the final day on the wiring today, and it's all done rockon :D

The first job was actually to fix the broken air pipe feed to the drivers door solenoid.

Broken :'(
DSC_0105.jpg

First part of the job was opening up one side of the pipe. Some gentle heat and a screwdriver was the order of the day.
DSC_0107.jpg

Expanded hole :eek:
DSC_0108-1.jpg

Then slot the pipe into the expanded hole. :D
DSC_0110.jpg

As it cooled down it got very tight :$ Then finished off with some good old lecky tape.
Fixed :)
DSC_0112.jpg

DSC_0113.jpg

Then it was time to slot the air feed and power cable through to the door. and also the power feed to the electric window motor. Which was harder done than said !! Very fiddly job indeed.

Feeding pipe and wires through.
DSC_0115.jpg

Random door thingy picture after job done. That door rubber thingy is also a pain to fit. .
DSC_0114.jpg

Ready to rip my arm to bits and fit to the solenoid :)
DSC_0116.jpg

Fitted and fully working B) I did cable tie them to the door, using the passenger door as reference as to were merc tied them. Not that I took a pic of them in place. That would just be silly :D
DSC_0118.jpg

After much more wire tracing I managed to find a fuse box connection hidden well away in the loom, i had trapped it when I bolted the fuse box back in :$ . Found where it went, along with another earth I had found and all fixed and working. :)

I also pulled the binnacle out as there where a few unconnected plugs back there. Whilst I had it out I thought I would check that little red fuse, as the console lights don't work. Surprise surprise, it's blown.
DSC_0123.jpg

DSC_0124.jpg

So I need one of those. Has anyone got the part number?

I also finished plumbing back in the alarm. Which now functions perfectly. I like how it locks the doors when you start the engine and unlocks them as soon as you switch the engine off. It seems to work off the fuel pump circuit so should the engine stall or you crash, the doors will unlock.

I tidied up the loom with the original merc tie wraps and added a few of my own to the alarm box and wiring.
DSC_0126.jpg

Then fitted the under tray and carpet. Much neater B) I do need the side panel next to the accelerator pedal if anyone has one going spare.
DSC_0135.jpg

Well that's all for now. It's getting there slowly but surly. More soon.

Sorry folks, wrong section. Can this be moved to the projects section please?

Many thanks.

Last edited:
That is horrible, good luck!

Great to see someone else who does this just for the love of it, I've just got my MGF on the road which had EVERY problem MGF's have and then some more. It's old, crap and worthless and I love it :)

That makes what I have to still do on Sybil - see separate thread - seem simple although fairly sure it won't be.

Nice write up and good to see another classic being saved

All done and ready for the seats and doorcards. Then that's the interior finished :)
Part of the way there.
DSC_0146.jpg

DSC_0158.jpg

DSC_0156.jpg

DSC_0155.jpg

DSC_0149.jpg

DSC_0148-1.jpg

A vast improvement from the from the original interior pictures.
DSC_0076.jpg

DSC_0085.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom