Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CKLclive

Banned
Car
CLK 430

That inner wing looks worse than any W210 I've seen...

That inner wing looks worse than any W210 I've seen...

yes think the main problem with all of them is no corrosion protection
and the splash panels only fit where they touch unlike most other makes plus the general lack off or should I say no cavity wax anywhere

I take my hat off to you for contemplating a restoration such as this.
I am genuinely in awe of what some people are able to "fix".
I struggle to get my phone out from under the seat when it slips down there, let alone anything more technical.

I have a real hankering to either purchase an electric car when they sort out the range in excess of 100miles, to do my bit for the planet. Or "recycle" a vintage MB and forget about the latest satnav, stereo, blah blah. The latter scares me most, in terms of when things go wrong...

I'll def look out for updates and pics.

I have had her now for 4years and love the car now its time to treat her
to a bit of tlc refurb the bodywork as it should of been done and a colour change plus a few upgrades and a few mods I will post up as many pics of the ongoing work as I am allowed :rock:

I have had her now for 4years and love the car now its time to treat her
to a bit of tlc refurb the bodywork as it should of been done and a colour change plus a few upgrades and a few mods I will post up as many pics of the ongoing work as I am allowed :rock:

pity a friend was breaking one exact colour e430 u could have had all sorts off it. but w210 get rusty much more than w124, it is definitely labour of love as it is not economical to restore them at the moment, many are scrapped and probably u can get the wings from scrap yard fit and respray

good luck

Guys its a W208 not a W210

I knew that. My reference to a W210 is that W210 have galvanised inner wings, W208 and W202 dont, hence rust more.

W210 have unsightly body panel corrosion, but rarely rust structurally, where as models like the W208 and W124 do.

I hope you're going to fit facelift door mirrors and remove the wing indicators as part of the job, knocks a few years off the apparent age of the car and you're already doing the hard bits with the restoration work! :)
W210 have unsightly body panel corrosion, but rarely rust structurally, where as models like the W208 and W124 do.
Have you forgotten the famous 210 spring perch collapse?

They don't collapse, they tear off the inner wing due to the spot welds rusting away.
The inner wing doesn't rust.

I hope you're going to fit facelift door mirrors and remove the wing indicators as part of the job, knocks a few years off the apparent age of the car and you're already doing the hard bits with the restoration work! :)

Might well consider doing so if I can find a pair for the right price ?

I knew that. My reference to a W210 is that W210 have galvanised inner wings, W208 and W202 dont, hence rust more.

Are they...mine have rusted into holes in at least one place where the inner plastic shield attaches to the inner wing.

Good work Clive, but why not just replace the wings?

trying to keep within budget and for a days work to repair them its
cheaper than 500 quid for new ones from MB plus want to keep the orignal
with the car;)

Clive, how are you making the turnarounds?

Clive, how are you making the turnarounds?

taking a pattern from original folded on a roller and fabricated in my
little sheetmetal workshop have got access to all sorts of metal
fab machines plus I am a time served panel beater old school
and used to restoration can even do lead loading modern bodyshops dont know what that even means !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom