Project C43 W202

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Some of the welding work required including fitting of the new sills

IMG_9461.jpg

IMG_9459.jpg

IMG_9457.jpg

Down to the bare metal and prep of the removal of windscreens...

IMG_9454.jpg

IMG_9453.jpg

Apologies for the poor quality pics, am hoping to have some better ones form the bodyshop, showing the progress.

So I decided to turn my attention to the small details while I am in limbo. Collected the headlamp wiper motors to see if the could be inspected and some maintenance carried out on them, as one had basically stopped working.
Gave them a clean up on the exterior and managed to open them up! The clips were very brittle (and I must confess I have managed to snap a couple) however, the internals looked like new and full of white grease!

Despite this, I cannot get one of the motors to operate.
Exterior having being cleaned...
IMG_9582.jpg

internals looking surprisingly well

IMG_9580.jpg

IMG_9581.jpg

Whilst trying to find out how to test the motor, and why one had a plug attached with 4 prongs and the other only 3 prongs, I have come across this helpful guide:

HOW TO: Headlight Wiper / Washer System Diagnostics and Repair

Whilst I appreciate it's not for the W202, but I found some of the info helpful.

Once I have this motor sorted, I will be collecting some other bits from the bodyshop while it's in bits, ie the carpet so I can have it cleaned throughly, boot lock to have it realigned to match the key, from grill to get it all nice and shiny shiny.

Ant hints on the wiper motor?

Looking good pal, you think it’ll be finished this year or is it the proverbial “it’ll be done when it’s done”?

Reactions: Abb
Looking good pal, you think it’ll be finished this year or is it the proverbial “it’ll be done when it’s done”?

I certainly hope so Lee! I was told it would be 4-6 weeks (despite me saying it could be a fit around jobs as I was in no rush, if it would be reflected in the price) as they like to get a car and focus on that one until completion.
I have been patient and I put it down to being away for a month at a time with graft, but I will be having a chat next week with the shop when I return the motors.
It was sat stripped and covered in a polyurethane cover awaiting to go into for paint.
I am now in the unenviable position of having to order a new door, bonnet and boot lid which he will need for reassembly once the shell has been painted.
As I want to be home when it's ready I will be pushing for a completion date for mid September :)

I certainly hope so Lee! I was told it would be 4-6 weeks (despite me saying it could be a fit around jobs as I was in no rush, if it would be reflected in the price) as they like to get a car and focus on that one until completion.
I have been patient and I put it down to being away for a month at a time with graft, but I will be having a chat next week with the shop when I return the motors.
It was sat stripped and covered in a polyurethane cover awaiting to go into for paint.
I am now in the unenviable position of having to order a new door, bonnet and boot lid which he will need for reassembly once the shell has been painted.
As I want to be home when it's ready I will be pushing for a completion date for mid September :)

are you going to drive your car in winter?
if your car is finished in september, you will only have a short period of driving until roads starts freezing over and soiled with salt.
I hope you avoid this otherwise your car will go back to it's former non glory looking like poop and money for nothing wasted restoring the car!

how much is a new bonnet, door and trunk from dealership?
are these cheap?

do they still sell factory rolled front AMG fenders?

Last edited:
Rest assured I wont be driving the car in winter, thats for sure! The long term plan is to use it but not as a daily. Body panels are most definitely not cheap from the dealership but thank you for making me laugh all the same.

Front wings/fenders are still available to purchase from the dealers. As far as I am aware, the fronts were not rolled, only the rears to accommodate the slightly wider wheels.

Time for an update but ore importantly some more photos! Whilst the body shop have been slow with the progress due to a number of reasons, I decided to do some small bits myself.
Brought the interior carpets home and gave them to a friend who cleaned them with industrial wet vacs, they turned out very well! Removed the inner part off the front grill and replaced with the avantgarde one (purchased from KillerHertz), sorted the headlamp wiper motor by buying another (used) and then popped down to the shop today to return the parts and see the car.
Both front and rear screens are out, roof is in primer, the rest of the shell (more or less) is down to the bare metal and is in the final stages to be painted. All the panels from the bonnet to the boot lid have been removed from the car.
Todays visit, I noticed them removing some coating exposing yet more rust underneath! This 'should' be the last of it! Albeit a slow progress, their attention to detail is very impressive and I am pleased with it so far.

Heres some pics...

The grill with the insert to be swapped over
IMG_0894.jpg

You can see how much the grey had faded

IMG_0897.jpg

All swapped over and grill polished using autosol

IMG_0908.jpg

IMG_0909.jpg

IMG_0910.jpg

Hidden rust under the coating

It hides everywhere Abb. ;)

Glad to see it's having a proper job done on it, nothing worse than having it looking lovely and then start scabbing up after a few months. It should last for a lifetime after all the effort that's gone into it.

Well done mate, saved a decent car from an early grave there.

/\ it's good to see one being properly restored, it will be one of the best when finished!

It's going tobe a work of art when finished, Stunning Resto!

Stunning!

Unfortunately don't have any further updates of interest. Just ordered some more new parts, namely a sunroof seal, bonnet insulation adn another boot lid, all from the stealers!
As if it wasn't bad enough t have to pay their prices, the boot lid had gone up by £50 or so since I made my initial enquiry in May. Don't anticipate any work being done before the new year, not that I am bothered at the minute.

Thanks for bearing with me folks, am sure I will get there in the end (I have no doubt about that), am aiming for next spring! ;)

Unfortunately don't have any further updates of interest. Just ordered some more new parts, namely a sunroof seal, bonnet insulation adn another boot lid, all from the stealers!
As if it wasn't bad enough t have to pay their prices, the boot lid had gone up by £50 or so since I made my initial enquiry in May. Don't anticipate any work being done before the new year, not that I am bothered at the minute.

Thanks for bearing with me folks, am sure I will get there in the end (I have no doubt about that), am aiming for next spring! ;)

Hi Abb , the car is looking good , if you get it sorted next spring I’m sure between Ritchy and myself we can organise another meet-up at Shildon as it’s such a popular venue :D

Reactions: Abb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom