Project: catch a vandal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ItalianTuneUp

MB Enthusiast
Car
S320CDI
Parking an MB within inner city streets can attract vandals it seems.

First, I had the MB bonnet star kicked off, leaving a scratch on the bonnet. I T-cutted that out and replaced it reluctantly with a flat bonnet badge.

Then just before Xmas some vandal left a deep scratch down one side when I parked in a street I don't normally park in. Others have had the same within that street...police case is open for that situation...not originally reported by me.

Now I have had another very deep scratch I discovered the morning after arriving in a foreign city. Amazingly a police car passed just as I was uttering expletives. I asked them who does this kind of thing. They unhesitatingly said 'extreme left' and Marxists. We had a nice chat in the local lingo. They were warm and friendly towards me and I felt they were sympathetic.

Now I have to see how to repair these deep scratches, but obviously don't want to claim against insurance for fear of premium increases. And what's the point of paying to repair the scratches if it's only going to happen again? The car is galvanised so that's good against rust, but the last scratch might have gone down to the metal so...? If I do nothing, the next jet wash might cause the paint to lift around the scratch. What would you do?

Anyway, scratches aside, and short of buying a new house with a garage or off-street parking, I feel like exacting revenge on the next would be car hater who tries to scratch again.

My idea is to pepper the inside of the car, front, back and sides with wireless covert cameras linked to video recording technology, to catch the next crim.

Does technology exist for this already? It would need its own battery as I don't want it to drain the main battery.

Any ideas or suggestions gladly welcomed! :)

My rear door had rust on it.

I presumed it was the galvanising technique used but it turned out to be a small bit of damage on the outside.

Caused a huge bubble of rust albeit was curable and is now perfect.

I would get them attended to.

Sorry to hear this.

I had my car keyed across the bonnet some years ago, it was a Vauxhall Omega.... very annoying pointless vandalism (and if you put it down to envy, then I pitty the pour soul who envied me for having an Omega....).

Sorry to hear this.

I had my car keyed across the bonnet some years ago, it was a Vauxhall Omega.... very annoying pointless vandalism (and if you put it down to envy, then I pitty the pour soul who envied me for having an Omega....).

It is an odd concept but over the years I have often seen cars which have been keyed - which are totally ordinary like a basic older VW Polo and other similar vehicles.

Indeed a chap at work who has a very smart shiny mint black 320 on a 12 plate had it parked outside his house in London and a lot of the cars were keyed except his - including the one before and after.

Some very strange people around...

They should all be rounded up and shot.

As on Pulp Fiction, you don't f with another man's vehicle.

It is an odd concept but over the years I have often seen cars which have been keyed - which are totally ordinary like a basic older VW Polo and other similar vehicles.

Indeed a chap at work who has a very smart shiny mint black 320 on a 12 plate had it parked outside his house in London and a lot of the cars were keyed except his - including the one before and after.

Some very strange people around...

They should all be rounded up and shot.

As on Pulp Fiction, you don't f with another man's vehicle.

Especially with an Italian's motor!

Or I makea da offer he no refusey! ;)

I had my first two Mercs scratched by some jealous lowlife while parked at the rear of our business, now I am reluctant to take my new one there. The car Park has CCTV cameras but the local council can't afford to have them monitored rendering them bloody useless.

You can buy small motion activated cameras ItalianTuneUp and very reasonably from eBay. I recently installed a complete 16 HD camera night vision motion detecting CCTV system on my home to protect my wife's Land Rover Defender 90 for less than £400 and i've caught three sets of gypsies in the last two months alone trying to take it. If you park outside your home you could install one of these and record on your system inside the house :-

Mini Wireless Pinhole Spy Camera and Receiver with 700TVL Colour Video and Audio | eBay

Or better still this :-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wireless-...628194?hash=item3abcdbdae2:g:8BIAAOSwa-dWsrpY

Or even this :-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HD-1080P-...069646?hash=item3d0150adce:g:gMQAAOSwDNdV19Ci

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom