Project W205: RHD Sport Total Front Conversion to 'Classic' Grill

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
SL63 AMG
My father has recently purchased a 1 year old W205 C200 Sport which he is over the moon with. While he was looking at getting one he commented that you can no longer get one with an upright bonnet star and the traditional grill.

As you may or not know, Mercedes stopped selling the classic designed option for the C and E Class since the Facelifted W204 and Facelifted W212. However these are available to the rest of the world.

I personally prefer the mini S-Class look for the saloons, this gave me an idea :) - Create the only (as far as im aware of) W205 Right Hand Drive with a Classic grill. Most of the world, eg America, owners are doing the opposite and making their cars look like the Sport option. My father isnt into AMGs or looking flash and just wants a classy looking car.

Unlike Mercedes of old, its not as simple as swapping the grills over and thats it, job done. No, you need to replace the entire front bumper and all the auxiliaries - Challenge excepted!

How the car currently looks:
dbIHL7K.jpg

RLcaJQj.jpg

zEoIdPq.jpg

The Grill in question:
ASTiEJU.jpg

aTojpJw.jpg

XCmGV6v.jpg

A real life version:
HeuwR6W.jpg

The parts I have sourched from a certain person in the Netherlands :D
ImlozTw.jpg

7SDcLJY.jpg

WlG0yHC.jpg

I will of course need to spray the bumper to the correct colour, but otherwise I will soon have all the parts.

Keep an eye on my channel: www.youtube.com/killerhertzmercedes where I plan to produce a series of videos detailing this from start to finish.

#keepmbclubmoddingalive

EDIT: HERE IS THE FINAL VIDEO OF IT FINISHED

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
:)

You realise im using all orignal parts, what the car was originally intended to look like, not the 'wannabe AMG' look which the UK market is only interested in :)

I am 100% with you, Classic/Executive grille with upright bonnet star is the way to go :thumb:

Keep the updates coming.

It would look even better in dark blue.

I like the upright star but they are thief magnets. I had two ripped off a previous car.

I like it but then again I do love the W222 - can’t wait to see the results.

Really? I’ve never heard that

I saw one just yesterday with the star missing.........and VW badges...........scrotes used to love wearing them on a chain.

Or they are just morons.

I've said all along that the "classic" grill and star suits the car and should be an option for the UK market as it is for elsewhere, but MBUK say it isn't wanted by their target demographic. Innit :rolleyes:

On the face of it, its a conversion several owners would like to do, especially since it can be done with original MB parts.:)
I can only assume this isn't as common as it might be due to complexity of fitment , cost and perhaps a fear of a reduction in value of a car perceived as no longer "factory original" by the UK motor trade.:(
Hopefully this new project thread will answer some, if not all of those questions. Good Luck!:thumb:

I can only assume this isn't as common as it might be due to complexity of fitment , cost and perhaps a fear of a reduction in value of a car perceived as no longer "factory original" by the UK motor trade.:(
More likely that the insurance industry will load it as a modified car?

Could be wrong, but I thought there was some sort of regulatory/pedestrian safety issue about the raised bonnet star affecting UK Type approval hence the 'soft nose' that prevails here. The raised bonnet stars do get stolen/ripped off, we had a few taken from some of our test cars years ago.

I like and prefer the styling of our S205, but also like the more traditional executive styling and may have considered that if it was an option. Good luck with the project, I hope it goes well.

Could be wrong, but I thought there was some sort of regulatory/pedestrian safety issue about the raised bonnet star affecting UK Type approval hence the 'soft nose' that prevails here. The raised bonnet stars do get stolen/ripped off, we had a few taken from some of our test cars years ago.

I like and prefer the styling of our S205, but also like the more traditional executive styling and may have considered that if it was an option. Good luck with the project, I hope it goes well.

The Mercedes upright star passes all crash tests as it is spring loaded (and still fitted on the S-Class of course)

The Mercedes upright star passes all crash tests as it is spring loaded (and still fitted on the S-Class of course)
Did say 'could be wrong'... ;)

Again, good luck with your project. I'm sure your Dad will be happy with the result.

The parts I have sourched from a certain person in the Netherlands

I think that certain person in the Netherlands fitted the Comand and Blinking Mirrors to my C43, a long time ago.

Look so much better Karl :)

Thanks guys!

Ive always loved the idea of having a 'one off' and somthing that isnt normally available.

I will be filming the entire process and will update the thread in due course :)

I wanted to swop my “AMG” type grill for the diamond grill until I realised it was full front bumper removal .

MB Ireland do the 205 in all three configs...so buy one there!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom