Project W205: RHD Sport Total Front Conversion to 'Classic' Grill

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Spare grill arrived today (it was cheap and has a tiny bit of damage). The entire thing is plastic unlike the old W202 / W210 grills :(

3zGoj0g.jpg

Completed this over a month ago, filmed loads of video footage and will make it into a video for my channel. - Forgot to update this site :)

jOHGz4Q.jpg

1j05C5W.jpg

Y7MU9tH.jpg

v4gaf4a.jpg

The colour is a perfect match, looks slightly different in the photo due to brand new laquer agaist the rest of the bodywork:
B5gfQ2G.jpg

Orignal bumper for sale, see Classified Section: :)
I5hQzq1.jpg

Thats more like it, target practice:
xSfbcaq.jpg

Video clip of the it all:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

LOVING THE NEW LOOK. Couple of questions- 1 does the bonnet still have a cutout for the bayonnet type mount? - Some newer models[ COUPES?] seem to have a simple bonnet depression for a sticky-on flat badge now meaning a retrofit upright star is not possible. And 2 without revealing any specific personal details of this conversion people might like an indication of total conversion price using new parts?

Can’t believe MB didn’t offer this option in the UK. :(

Great job Karl. Looks Fantastic + a proper Star :D

Excellent work. This makes me want to buy an S205 and do the conversion.

Thanks all for the comments :)

LOVING THE NEW LOOK. Couple of questions- 1 does the bonnet still have a cutout for the bayonnet type mount? - Some newer models[ COUPES?] seem to have a simple bonnet depression for a sticky-on flat badge now meaning a retrofit upright star is not possible. And 2 without revealing any specific personal details of this conversion people might like an indication of total conversion price using new parts?

Yes it has the proper cut out so you can swap the upright with the spring loaded flat badge at anytime :)

Bumpers/Grill your looking at around £300, another £200 for the spray painting. + around 3-4 hours work in total + £38 for the OEM upright STAR.

If anyone is interested in this, I can do the entire job + source parts, just PM me (C & E-Classes)

Thanks all for the comments :)

Yes it has the proper cut out so you can swap the upright with the spring loaded flat badge at anytime :)

Bumpers/Grill your looking at around £300, another £200 for the spray painting. + around 3-4 hours work in total + £38 for the OEM upright STAR.

If anyone is interested in this, I can do the entire job + source parts, just PM me (C & E-Classes)
Not bad...less than a grand. I wonder how much MB would charge.

Thats 2nd hand parts price of course, the bumper alone from MB would be around £1k.

The front sensors are interesting/odd. there was a pipe across the entire front which looked like it contained a liquid. no doubt somthing for the pedestrian collision system. Swapped it over without breaking a single clip.

Its just a tube which runs across, you can unclip it etc, it has a large sensor on the end... Ill try and dig out a photo.

Thats it :) - It feels like Hotglue gun glue

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom