Project W205: RHD Sport Total Front Conversion to 'Classic' Grill

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Nice conversion Karl. I actually like them both - the original had it's clean modern MB look but the conversion also looks great with the star on the bonnet. Had you only done the star I think it would have ruined it but that conversion is a job done well.

I’ve said it before but immense. The C class always looked like a mini S class until they denied us the proper grille.

Fitting the proper grille increases the desirability of the 205 (and 213) to me massively. Probably growing up in the w124/6 era that conditioned me to it.

If I buy a used 205/213 next year which is definitely on my radar will be in touch for a conversion. Only difficulty would be if I went for a new PCH deal would need to be returned to stock at the end of hire. Wonder if they would notice at annual service.

Had a look at the Ireland site and can’t believe they offer these cars over there. The car with the traditional grille has wood trim on the interior as well instead of the aluminium. Suits an E far better for my tastes anyway.

Sorry - just to clarify - I prefer the “new look” as in the conversion you’ve done, the mini S-Class...
Ah...I read that differently. I do too.

Love the classic look with the 'gun sight' badge :thumb:

Was there any insurance comment?

Looks great. I would have preferred this front end on mine too. I did toy with the idea of just fitting the bonnet star and leaving the grill, but decided it would look a bit odd.

Looks great. I would have preferred this front end on mine too. I did toy with the idea of just fitting the bonnet star and leaving the grill, but decided it would look a bit odd.
That's what I did, and it did look odd, but I still preferred having the gun sight!

I’ve said it before but immense. The C class always looked like a mini S class until they denied us the proper grille.

Fitting the proper grille increases the desirability of the 205 (and 213) to me massively. Probably growing up in the w124/6 era that conditioned me to it.

If I buy a used 205/213 next year which is definitely on my radar will be in touch for a conversion. Only difficulty would be if I went for a new PCH deal would need to be returned to stock at the end of hire. Wonder if they would notice at annual service.

Had a look at the Ireland site and can’t believe they offer these cars over there. The car with the traditional grille has wood trim on the interior as well instead of the aluminium. Suits an E far better for my tastes anyway.
How easy is it to buy in Ireland and import?

How easy is it to buy in Ireland and import?

Not sure about the exact technicalities of what would be needed but there are some issues:
-List price looks stupidly higher for like for like new cars. Base list price for new E200 petrol estate in Ireland is EUR 56,955. Similar car at UK brokers for £29,000 (list is £40,000).
-Not sure if there are any established brokers like DTD etc we have in UK
-Being an imported vehicle would likely affect resale value if you want to sell or trade-in in the UK
-Insurance likely higher as a result of being import

I had a quick look at the MB approved used Ireland site for used W213 estates and there are literally only a couple of used cars for sale with the superior grille and at higher cost than UK used..

As requested in another thread:

Attachments

• WIS 205.006 f bumper.pdf
    446.3 KB · Views: 6
Its just a tube which runs across, you can unclip it etc, it has a large sensor on the end... Ill try and dig out a photo.

Hi Karl,

Newbie after a bit of advice - just got my first MB and looking to change the std grill on it (c350e P+) - I whipped off the bumper earlier to taker a quick look and saw the pedestrian sensor plus a whole host of other sensors (lane-change etc I think looking at the PDF in this post), all tucked into the bumper. I Left it plugged in for now as I watched the you-tube vid on removal and replace and it talks about this pedestrian sensor to check its in tact - Before I started, a neighbor who works in a body workshop has sewn doubt in my mind, as he recons they often have to take motors back to MB when they've removed bumpers etc for U60 codes to be reset/radars re-calibrated etc - did you have any problems when you did yours?

Do you know if its ok to just unplug the bumper with just the ignition off - and just carefully remove and refit the pedestrian sensor without getting any fault codes ? Just cautious at the mo as dont want to be introducing myself to the local MB dealership with my tail between my legs to get a pile of fault codes reset, 5 days after picking it up :)

Vid talks about disconnecting the 12v battery before attempting - the owners manual suggests not to unless booked into MB service - cant even find the battery at the mo 😕 (picked the car up Wednesday) as only a jump start connection clip under the bonnet and a chunky inverter where the battery normally is!? Possibly in the boot area with the HV battery?

Any help and advice would be really great,

Thanks in advance

Cheers Graham

What grill are you trying to fit? - if its the 'classic' style as per my video below then you will need an entirely different bumper.

When I removed mine, I disconnected the battery (in the boot) and left it 5mins before I started anything. Once I swapped everything over and then double/triple checked all sensors etc had been connected back again, I reattached the bumper and had no errors whatso-ever.

Cheers
My video:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Hi karl,

Putting on the GT panamerican grill into the std bumper - will explore in the morning in the boot for mine - its mainly taken up with the hybrid HV battery but will take some covers off and see if I can track it down. There is a cover in the boot on the RHS I'm not sure what is behind it?

No issues to your knowledge with the hybrid's HV batteries causing any memory retention? - the manual talks about the car using the HV batt for things like the pre-entry aircon if the std 12v is low....

Thanks for the advice

Graham

Thanks for the video link as well!!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Tracked it down - yes, you were correct, its in the boot on the c350e as well....

Thanks again - will give it a go in the morning,

Graham

Thanks all for the comments :)

Yes it has the proper cut out so you can swap the upright with the spring loaded flat badge at anytime :)

Bumpers/Grill your looking at around £300, another £200 for the spray painting. + around 3-4 hours work in total + £38 for the OEM upright STAR.

If anyone is interested in this, I can do the entire job + source parts, just PM me (C & E-Classes)

Thanks all for the comments :)

Yes it has the proper cut out so you can swap the upright with the spring loaded flat badge at anytime :)

Bumpers/Grill your looking at around £300, another £200 for the spray painting. + around 3-4 hours work in total + £38 for the OEM upright STAR.

If anyone is interested in this, I can do the entire job + source parts, just PM me (C & E-Classes)
Hi Karl

Nice work! I have been thinking of converting of W212 facelift Avantgarde to the Elegance grill but realised that I need to swap out the bumper too. I have been searching the Net and so far only you that is doing Sporty to Classic look.

i do not have any luck in sourcing for my W212 and i wonder how you can help (even as a service) in sourcing the parts.. Do note that I am in Brunei (GMT +8) and ordering items from US and US is not unusual. Looking forward to hearing from you. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom