Prop-shaft Bearing replacement...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Olivier

MB Enthusiast
Car
E300 TD
Hi All,

For the Prop-shaft bearing replacement, does the whole shaft need to be taken away or just one section, the front or the rear need to be out?
Thank you.
Olivier

the whole prop shaft needs to be removed as the centre bearing is pressed onto the front part of the propshaft.

I wouldn't dream of replacing the the propshaft centre bearing without replacing its flexible mount at the same time. Best probably to remove the entire assembly front to back by disconnecting at the flexible couplings. Be sure to mark carefully/indelibly all the components in relation to each other [ and the centre mount position] while they are still assembled to maintain the balance /alignment of the assembly when you rebuild it. You might have to remove/drop the exhaust or at least the heat shields to do this

Bugger! I was hoping only one side could be dropped and just slide it out...

I got the assembly.
Thanks for the tip of marking them, I knew about that too and its important to do it.

Cheers :)
Olivier

Im doing Prop donuts today on the cosworth... Ive managed to twist the rear one... must pull away onto A roads more sensibly!

should be easy hopefully...

The donuts are OK to remove. Just pry on them to "unlock" them as the little metal rounds pipes that are in will be stuck. Just put a screwdriver in the hole and pry them out.
I probably don't make any sense there...

Im doing Prop donuts today on the cosworth... Ive managed to twist the rear one... must pull away onto A roads more sensibly!

should be easy hopefully...

A lot easier if you slacken the center spline clamp nut. But then, you knew that :D

Hope this helps. The info is taken from a W203 C Class, but I would imagine that it's very similar to your car. Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Don't forget to check the Universal Joints for wear while you have the shaft off. These used to be replaceable on older cars, but the info in the manual I've taken these details from state that 'no spare parts' to renew the UJ bearings were available at the time of writing. (That may have changed now, otherwise a reconditioned, or new shaft will be needed).

propshaft1_zpsdaa49eff.jpg

propshaft2_zps14a3f22b.jpg

propshaft3_zps3bc022e0.jpg

propshaft5_zpsfd43ea4b.jpg

propshaft4_zps212f5ac0.jpg

propshaft6_zpsd434b8f2.jpg

propshaft8_zpsbca1668e.jpg

propshaft9_zps52939ebe.jpg

propshaft10_zpsfcd9cd78.jpg

The beauty and the beast...

The beauty in picture, I forgot to take a picture of the beast, the ruber was totally rotted anyway.
The beauty come from Wunderpartz, thank you to Pawel and Brend for their top quality item and keen prices :)
Top class :bannana:

There is no need to remove the front part, only take the rear out.
There is still a whining but it seems quieter so far. :thumb:

Attachments

• SNC12383.jpg
    SNC12383.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 28

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom