Prop Shaft Lube

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alan1304

Car
Mercedes Benz C180 Esprit 1998
Can anybody tell me if there is a grease nipple on the W202 prop shaft to lubricate the UJ's. My car is making a Chirping/Squeaking/Clicking noise from the rear of the car that speeds up as the car accelerates and disappears as it moves into second gear. There is no vibration or rumbling at any speed (even on the motorway ). I can't hear it when it's just me and the wife in the car, (unless I'm pulling away uphill) it's more noticable if I've got people in the back. That's why I'm wondering about lubrication.

There's no lubrication points on the prop, the UJ's are sealed for life. As for the noise I can't advise and if I did I'd only be sending you on a wild goose chase. First port of call is to get it on a lift for a visual inspection and go from there.

Thanks John Jones Jr. That's what I thought, but when I had the MOT done in March the mechanic was practically swinging off the prop and axle shafts but said he couldn't find anything wrong. My worry is, we're going on holiday in August to North Wales, be about 1000 miles by the time we get back. Is it going to be safe?

Is it going to be safe?

Hold on till I get my crystal ball out! ;) Even if one presumes that it will be safe it's still best to get the problem sorted out even just to avoid a breakdown - peace of mind and all that.

In theory it could be as simple as rear brakes binding a bit, who knows?

That is a very good point. I've found somewhere I can get a reasonably good prop for £25. I might buy that one and put it on the car just to keep it on the road while I rebuild my prop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom