Proper Flu. Or what?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Druk

Gone but not forgotten - RIP
Car
2011 S212 E350CDi. 1981 R107 300TurboDiesel.
So the story goes:

Wed 25th afternoon past started feeling weak/sore all over.

Come the evening this developed into occasional reflex jerks (like a caricature of Parkinson's). Very uncomfortable especially holding a bowlful of mandarins and custard. :eek:
Turned in at 9pm and woke at 1030pm drenched in sweat and boiling over.
Cleaned up and back to sleep to be woken at 1230am freezing.
All this time (since 9pm) afflicted by a raging thirst. This goes on all night and for the subsequent next three nights every 2 1/2 - 3hrs. So up and till the present time I've had about 15hrs sleep total. Drinking approx 2 ltr of Robinsons every night just to remain comfortable.
Food is now out of the question as any attempt to swallow results in the gag reflex. 1/2 cup of chicken noodle soup and an egg sarnie today :rock:
Also got slightly sore back in the region of kidneys and my scalp is MEGA sensitive..
Spent most of the last five days sitting about with absolutely no energy for anything. Sometimes getting out the chair is difficult.

Presented to the GP at 1100 on Fri to be told he suspected Early Onset Diabetes. This because of the dry mouth and lack of energy. I get the test results on Wed.

But the corollary to this is I phoned my good buddy tonight looking for sympathy only to be told that his teenage daughter was sent home from Tescos yesterday aft and is in bed with exactly the same symptoms.

There is no runny nose/sneezing/sore throat associated with a bad cold.

So I now suspect we're suffering from some form of mutated avian/bovine/swine flu.

Whew!

My question is: ~Does this sound familiar to any of you and if so how long does it take to clear up?

And thanks in advance for any sympathy cards. :D

Last edited:
Can I have your interior trim?

If not, get well soon mate :thumb:.

Can I have your engine mounts?

Get well soon mate! Proper flu is a nasty thing, I hope no diabetes, it's a bugger and you aren't supposed to eat cake.

I've had the same symptoms but also a sick, nauseous feeling and bad tummy. It lasted a week and only now am I feeling better.

I've not know a bout of flu like it.
I hope you feel better soon.

I had it for two weeks. Ulcers on the roof of my mouth, sensitive scalp and painful teeth and gums. I'm pretty much over it now, but my legs and knees are still painful. There's a lot of it about by all accounts. You have my sympathy, it's not nice at all.

Monitor and record your temperature on a regular basis to get a handle on how your body is combating any infection-- the infrared ear thermometers are quick and accurate. Take suitable antipyretic [fever] medication on a regular basis [ but don't exceed the recommended dose] till symptoms subside paracetemol is least hard on the stomach. Maintain your fluid intake with rehydration sachets if necessary --dioralyte blackcurrant is reasonably palatable and replaces those electrolytes. ---Complan or Ensure [ most folks like strawberry] to get some nutrition if you can't stomach food.
And wait it out I guess. :dk:

ps http://flusurvey.org.uk/

Last edited:
I've had the same symptoms but also a sick, nauseous feeling and bad tummy. It lasted a week and only now am I feeling better.

I've not know a bout of flu like it.
I hope you feel better soon.

I had it for two weeks. Ulcers on the roof of my mouth, sensitive scalp and painful teeth and gums. I'm pretty much over it now, but my legs and knees are still painful. There's a lot of it about by all accounts. You have my sympathy, it's not nice at all.

Thanks both. The sick nauseous bit sometimes. No ulcers though and the knashers have been on the dresser for 5days so I've no idea how they're feeling. 2 weeks??? Goad, I hope not.

Hainanese chicken rice, Chinese penicillin. Good chicken, jointed, simmer with lots of ginger to make rich chicken broth, cook rice with broth and have the broth in a bowl with the rice on the side, and dip the boiled chicken in soy with grated ginger and garlic. Wonderful comfort food while miserable and fluey. Ginger tea also exceptionally good at calming the stomach. Teeth can stay out if chicken cooked for long enough...

Thanks both. The sick nauseous bit sometimes. No ulcers though and the knashers have been on the dresser for 5days so I've no idea how they're feeling. 2 weeks??? Goad, I hope not.

Mis-spelling here - is that gnashers or knackers?

Get Bette to give them a rub - you'll feel better then.

Day 12 now, with a chest infection just to make it beyond proper. Every day I think it's peaking/getting better it comes back with a vengence. Beyond a 'man flu' joke now.

I feel your pain.
Had a bit of a sniffle earlier today and didn't fancy a second bowl of cereal.

Feeling much better now having polished off a family size paella a couple of hours ago.

del320 said:
Mis-spelling here - is that gnashers or knackers? Get Bette to give them a rub - you'll feel better then.
If the knackers have been on the dresser for the past 5 days, she'll have to be dismissed and poor old Druk will have to resort back to a manservant.

Only kidding. Sounds grim. Hope you're soon on the mend.

Get well soon, Derek.

The pain in my knees was unbearable. I'm glad you wrote this as I thought I was falling apart.

Get yersel sorted soon Ya old fart. I'll bring you a curry.

Well it's now 1.00am and true to form I'm awakened by a hot flush. Things might just be on the mend though, at least the old bawbag isn't lying to its Plimsoll Line in perspiration. I'll pm you my addy Harry, some of that lamb curry might be just what's required.

Does anybody know if this dreaded lurgy has a name?

When El Quacko phones on Wed it would be good to be able to tell him I've got Ebola H1N15/7 rather than just 'Flu'

Mis-spelling here - is that gnashers or knackers?

Get Bette to give them a rub - you'll feel better then.

Well of course it's gnashers. Bleeding pedant :D. I'll run your suggestion past Bette although somehow I think the answer might be "Aye right!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom