Propshaft (like) vibration

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LJay

Car
E320 CDI
I had a vibration that i thought was coming from my propshaft i also had a wheel bearing noise going round corners it turned out to be partly due to this......

I hope it helps others, this was the inner bearing so only noticable if you remove the hub and grease seal, it got rid of most of my vibration which was quite alot to say it was 2 rollers on the bearing...

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 83
Thanks for this post and photo. I also have a slight grinding noise which at the beginning stared going round right hand corners (LHD car) then came a prop shaft type grind or whirr. No vibrations at all though. I checked the bearings: no play, looked perfectly normal, with grease a decent colour. However now seeing your inner bearing I guess I will have to take everything to pieces, clean, check and probably change the bearings and race to be on the safe side. Vehicle is at 180,000 km so could be normal wear and tear. Also I run staggered 17" wheels in the summer. That could explain and extra load and wear on the bearings.
Is it recommended to change bearings on both wheels at the same time??

usually replace both

No problems at all, with reagrds to the replacing them both i would & did as you will usually find that if one has gone or on its way the other aint too far behind, the bearings are fairly cheap so i just replace both for good measure one less thing to worry about :)

Oh and the outer bearing looked just fine....

Last edited:
I sure will change both sides with a good clean and nice new grease. Then will be good for another 12 years of life :thumb:

Spent my day in overalls and dismantled the left and right hubs and installed new wheel bearing on both sides. Washed all the bits and cleaned everything around there (hubs, backing plate, calipers, ..... I saw that new discs and pads will have to be installed in the near future.
Went for a test drive round the block and guess what.....? The grinding noise is still there :wallbash: Lifted the back end of the ground and turned off ESP, ASR, etc. .: Then put it in drive and NO NOISE. Thought it could be something in the transmission (gearbox) but it doesn't make and special noise. What could that grinding noise be :confused::confused::confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom