Pros and cons of your AMG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Pros: Stealth, pussycat to beast in a split second, the torque:D

Cons: Taking SWMBO on the AMG tour, explaining one man one engine, " Very impressive" she says, "yes please i want one":eek:

AMG Diesels are rare.... I would like one.

Don't worry, I hear it's curable ;)

Seriously I know diesels are the in thing and all that, but to me.... well maybe it's my generation.... I just can't rationalise diesel with the term performance car.

I recently went to York Railway Museum and whilst admiring the steam locomotives I noticed people eulogising over some big old diesels.... I asked what the attraction was and got a lengthy reply as to how amazing the technology was for the time and how they are iconic... all of which may be true, but they are just dull to me in comparison to steam.

That's pretty much how I feel about diesel cars in comparison to petrol... even though I know in my head I am wrong.... my heart, however, tells me otherwise!

I also feel there is a lot of pressure to move away from big petrol engines and to be driving a car with one you are seen by the treehuggers as some sort of arch criminal.... well so be it!

... even though I know in my head I am wrong.... my heart, however, tells me otherwise!

I also feel there is a lot of pressure to move away from big petrol engines and to be driving a car with one you are seen by the treehuggers as some sort of arch criminal....

I don't think diesels make sense in most everyday scenarios but people are misinformed. New petrol engines are very efficient and better especially for those living in big towns with short journeys with average annual mileage c12k.

Which enthusiast would describe themself as a 'diesel head'?

I don't think diesels make sense in most everyday scenarios but people are misinformed. New petrol engines are very efficient and better especially for those living in big towns with short journeys with average annual mileage c12k.

Yes very true, petrol seems to be making a comeback just recently.

Which enthusiast would describe themself as a 'diesel head'?

Exactly, a point I made quite recently on here I think :thumb:

Seriously I know diesels are the in thing and all that, but to me.... well maybe it's my generation.... I just can't rationalise diesel with the term performance car.

I recently went to York Railway Museum and whilst admiring the steam locomotives I noticed people eulogising over some big old diesels.... I asked what the attraction was and got a lengthy reply as to how amazing the technology was for the time and how they are iconic... all of which may be true, but they are just dull to me in comparison to steam.

That's pretty much how I feel about diesel cars in comparison to petrol... even though I know in my head I am wrong.... my heart, however, tells me otherwise!

I also feel there is a lot of pressure to move away from big petrol engines and to be driving a car with one you are seen by the treehuggers as some sort of arch criminal.... well so be it!

Are you my Dad?! :D That's what he says! I have a Golf "GT Sport TDi 170 DPF" to give it its full name. My dad asks "How is it a sport AND a diesel?". I ask him what's powered a le mans winner the last 10 odd years. He looks dispondant, mumbles to himself and wanders off. I feel a bit guitly...
I'm not defending the situation, but it seems impossible to buy a half decent (read: interesting to drive) car that isn't somehow sporty.

I would agree on the steam trains too. Awesome things!

(For the record, incase I hadn't mentioned it, I do 82 miles a day, which my former c43/55 would have rendered my salary zero after I paid all the fuel. Am I forgiven?!?!)

Are you my Dad?! :D That's what he says! I have a Golf "GT Sport TDi 170 DPF" to give it its full name. My dad asks "How is it a sport AND a diesel?". I ask him what's powered a le mans winner the last 10 odd years. He looks dispondant, mumbles to himself and wanders off. I feel a bit guitly...
I'm not defending the situation, but it seems impossible to buy a half decent (read: interesting to drive) car that isn't somehow sporty.

I would agree on the steam trains too. Awesome things!

(For the record, incase I hadn't mentioned it, I do 82 miles a day, which my former c43/55 would have rendered my salary zero after I paid all the fuel. Am I forgiven?!?!)

I may be old enough to be your Dad :D

Anyway, yes... forgiven :D

Last edited:
I also agree with the petrol thing. We've never opted for diesel. I wanted fast, sound and a V8, misses had short journeys and isn't bothered about performance so a small non-turbo petrol made sense to avoid the DPF.

Now that technology and mpg is improving on petrols and they are advancing again with smaller displacements, I may never have to buy a car that runs on oily sht, ever...

:bannana:

That's because the search picks up the VW Polo with the E specification 55 (2005/2006) plates

I guessed it would something like that but as soon as I saw 'Polo' come up, a lack of interested prevented me from delving any further... :D

MB8701 said:
quite liked that :)

Thanks... True though isn't it. It's on my list for the next purchase ... (Even though I only get my new one today! Forward thinking and all that...!) :) x

Sent from my iPad using MBClub UK

Thanks... True though isn't it. It's on my list for the next purchase ... (Even though I only get my new one today! Forward thinking and all that...!) :) x

So you are thinking about your next car after your current one which is not your current one as you haven't picked it up yet? I'm impressed... that IS forward thinking :D

cb1965 said:
So you are thinking about your next car after your current one which is not your current one as you haven't picked it up yet? I'm impressed... that IS forward thinking :D

I tend not to keep them too long, I get bored!! I've always got a second car on the go... Currently a Smart car having a new engine rebuilt!! Just been told my 'fake AMG' is ready though so must dash... *excited* x

Just thought of yet another negative (usually after a long drive and once the tailpipes have extended): burning your shins on the tailpipes when reaching into the boot.

RWDpetrol said:
Just thought of yet another negative (usually after a long drive and once the tailpipes have extended): burning your shins on the tailpipes when reaching into the boot.
you have no problems with your new one because it as 2 sticks at the end !!!:D

you have no problems with your new one because it as 2 sticks at the end !!!:D

One on either side actually. I'm going to join the next Bluewater gtg, in my BMW, to show you. Would be nice to see you anyway, you are as passionate about Mercs as I am BMW and I respect that.

RWDpetrol said:
One on either side actually. I'm going to join the next Bluewater gtg, in my BMW, to show you. Would be nice to see you anyway, you are as passionate about Mercs as I am BMW and I respect that.
looking forward to it :)

Pros:
Fits the children in
Fits dogs in
Goes well
sounds good
Can be a little twitchy

Cons:
Kick down can be a little aggressive
Cost of discs

Pros - fantastic engine, fantastic engine, fantastic engine, oh low emissions and 30mpg if I try.

Cons - none..........

2013 C63 Saloon

Pros:

Exhaust note
Relentless Power
Front Seats
Handling
Respect from other petrol heads
Own the road (until the GTR appears)
COMAND Bluetooth quick connection
Lack of LSD on vanilla C63

Cons:

Having to leave centre storage area open when using media cable
Higher risk of losing driving license
Hate from some drivers
Having to explain it's not a 6.3 (and sounding like a nerd)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom