protect your driving licence

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stevieb15

Car
98 sl 500, 90 w126 500se, 03 CLK 320 Convertible, 90 W124 CE300
I've received this in my spam folder this morning.
Although I am lucky enough to have a clean licence the offer and the relatively low cost makes purchasing look like a no brainer...but on the basis that "if it looks to good to be true it ususally is" I thought it worth
seeking your advice and thoughts.

Motoring First - Landing Page

"*Excess covers the cost of chasing court paperwork and documentation from the police to necessary to prepare your case."

This is only one of numerous typos on that page - never a good sign to me.

Seems legit, but with zero points on my licence I'm happy that it's a waste of money for me. If I had 6 or 9, maybe...

Interesting concept, though it seems rather ironic that they have a £50 excess on all claims. Compare this to the £60 fine for a speeding offence, the monetary gains for a first offender are quite slight at best.

Do you know what the memberships costs are? It looks like you have to register to get a quote.

From their website:-
What happens if you get caught for a minor motoring offence?:confused:

* Don't admit guilt!:doh:
* Go to the Motoring First website, log in to your user area and submit a claim.
* We'll check whether you've got reasonable prospects of success ????????????????????????????????? :wallbash:
* If your claim is accepted???????????? :wallbash:, you pay a £50 excess :eek::eek::eek:* and we'll do the rest.

Yeah Right!:rolleyes:

If you belong to the AA or RAC they offer memebership legal services for similar money and by paying a small premium on your insurance you can cover yourself against legal costs. Better bet in my book.

Last edited:
Motoring First Ltd. No record on companies house.

"Motoring First is a trading name for Keep An Eye On Ltd"

But their "Contact Us" definately says Motoring First Ltd

I'd avoid.

I have a simple policy from another provider that covers me should I lose my licence under the totting-up rule. It is very narrow in scope, all the seperate offences have to be speeding offences and no more than three points at a time but it is well worth the premium as I couldn't do my job without my car.

I took it out when I had six points (they won't let you take it out with any more) and in the event of you losing your licence you get £1000/month which you can spend on alternative transport, no excesses no fuss (apparently). Touch wood, I wont have to find out.

Sounds like the most useful part of this product on its own.

Last edited:
Motoring First Ltd. No record on companies house.

"Motoring First is a trading name for Keep An Eye On Ltd"

But their "Contact Us" definately says Motoring First Ltd

I'd avoid.

I would agree, but the company is registered with the FSA, not that I would remotely take that seriously.

I would be intrigued by the validity of their claims about success though. Given they screen you for probability of success, I wonder what their figures would be if they took the raw claims rather than the screened ones?

Anyway, on principle I wouldn't buy anything on the basis of spam, and Grober is correct (as always!) on other options.

Thanks guys, all good advice, looks like the old adage probably is true..."if it looks..."

There isn't much on Google either, I guess they could just be a new company though.

This is similar to the Nick Freeman keep on driving scheme, you paid a fee for one of his team to represent you if you ever found yourself in court over motoring offences. It may be a good way of subsidising the cost of a defence when in court but it wont guarantee a ruling in your favour.

Check out the "Members" area. It's empty! :doh:

It's not for me and wouldn't such a policy encourage wreckless driving?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom