Protection against overheating

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ptoro01

Hey guys,

My M103 runs a bit warm and as many of you know, overheating it is expensive.

I've put together an overheating alarm and aux fan controller. It uses the stock temp sensor. It's fully adjustable through the temp display in the dash.

It power the aux fan so it comes on much earlier than it otherwise would. Plus there's an overheating alarm that beeps and flashes the low coolant light.

All the specs are on the website

What do you guys think?

Peter

I've had several M103 and M104 cars , and can't say overheating has ever been a problem ; all my cars have been high milers . My cars do a mixture of open road and town driving , besides several having been used for towing , in which cases I fitted an auxiliary gearbox oil cooler to the M110 and 103 cars ( standard fit on M104 ) , but in all cases engine cooling has never been an issue .

I'd just make sure the cooling system is in good order , with a properly working thermostat and radiator clear of obstruction .

I agree Derek, they don't run warm when everything is in proper order. My main 300E had a worn out fan clutch for the longest of time. Every time getting off the highway or driving in traffic, it would heat up. The 86 has it's aux fan set to kick in somewhere around 115C. It didn't heat up that far, but it got to 110C often enough and that's too toasty for my liking.

I've owned quite a few older MBs so I've had to deal with a handful of popped headgaskets. I like the peace of mind. It bothered me enough to build a gadget to monitor engine temp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom