Protective coating on new MB Discs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PhilL

Car
2002 SL500; '54 E270 CDI Elegance Estate; 2001 C200K Coupe
I am about to replace the front discs and pads on my 54 reg 211. I have replaced quite a few sets with genuine MB discs but recently they have been supplied sprayed with a matt grey protective coating.

The last couple of sets I have removed the coating from the braking surfaces with white spirit and a cloth, but it takes longer to clean it off than to fit the disc! I cannot believe they spend that amount of time in the dealership so is it really necessary or can they be fitted directly with the coating still on?

Still pondering what to do about the SBC but there are hours of fun awaiting me reading the threads on the subject.

Thanks in anticipation.

Phil

I always used to clean new disc using brake cleaner - seem to work fine. Don't know about MB's new coating though....

Either way my view is that new discs should never be fitted with the protective coating - I think I know where you are coming from, suggesting that the new coat will 'self-clean' with the heat generated by the brakes? I don't think so, and I wouldn't risk contaminating a new set of pads with greasy substance. My opinion...

Good luck with the job.

Why not ask the dealer what they use to clean the discs they fit. Knowing MB there will be an official " disc protective coating remover"- might even have a part no! :) Trick is to find out what solvent/s its based on and buy a gallon can of it cheaper somewhere else.;)

Parts man at local dealer told me there's no need to remove that grey coating. I followed that advice when I fitted new discs to my previous W210 and didn't have any problems at all - it probably disappears first time you use the brakes anyway.

I didn't bother removing it either, brakes are just fine.

Fit and drive, the coating comes off the breaking surface but remains everywhere else, helping prevent unsightly rust around the hubs.

That seems pretty unanimous, leave it on! If only I'd used the forum the last few changes I could have saved myself a lot of work.

Thanks all for your replies.

Phil

I always used to clean new disc using brake cleaner - seem to work fine. Don't know about MB's new coating though....

Either way my view is that new discs should never be fitted with the protective coating - I think I know where you are coming from, suggesting that the new coat will 'self-clean' with the heat generated by the brakes? I don't think so, and I wouldn't risk contaminating a new set of pads with greasy substance. My opinion...

Good luck with the job.

OK, OK, don't gang-up on me.... :eek:

Is that correct......my MB parts man told me to use brake cleaner to remove it before fitting or else it would contaminate the new pads. :doh:

Is that correct......my MB parts man told me to use brake cleaner to remove it before fitting or else it would contaminate the new pads. :doh:

Interesting... :)

Is this going to be the same as the 'to copper-grease new plug threads or not to copper grease" undecided debate?

ATE brake discs come with a little info type paper which advises and tells you to clean the protective coating before fitting...

^^ if the coating is grease Mo.

Thanks Olly. Hows the C43 coming along, have those idiots managed to redo the headlining yet? Should look brilliant when its done.

Ill pop down soon when i get some time, been really busy. Is the little one doing well?

I've recently fitted two sets of genuine MB discs which came with this new grey protective coating.
I checked to see if it was greasy ... Which it wasn't.
I cleaned the discs with brake cleaner spray (which is always a good thing to do).
The grey coating was stable and did not dissolve.
I fitted the brakes and had a look at the discs after a couple of days.
The grey coating had rubbed clean and the surface was bright.
There were no ill effects whatsoever.

What he said ^^^^
I had MB discs fitted 3wks ago, my mechanic who is an Ex MB service guy didnt remove the grey coating, wore off itself with no issues or effect to braking performance!

Hi,
When i fitted my C230K discs recently i bought ATE discs and they had the same protective coating i was told to leave it on and that it actually aids to the bedding in of new pads.

Thanks Olly. Hows the C43 coming along, have those idiots managed to redo the headlining yet? Should look brilliant when its done.

Ill pop down soon when i get some time, been really busy. Is the little one doing well?

All ok here Mo.

Still waiting for the headlining to be done. They have had it for 3 weeks.:doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom